How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

More92

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2011

Renekton please!!

Tallus Valeman

04-27-2011

Quote:
1. There's a lot of stuff about there like user videos and skin viewers to preview skins. I understand where you are coming from, but it's easy to just search it up.

http://lol.zone.gamebase.com.tw/zone/lol/skin_view

2. Agree with you, but it's random. Also, Maokai was on free week a little while a go.
Thanks for the feedback SayuriMatsuri. I will have to check out the link you sent with your reply. What I mean though is like, same with free champion rotation...Have a free skin to go with it...Um...in game that is...And I forgot he was lol, Maokai that is, I used him almost all week lol. Thanks again

Tallus

Delt Dragon

04-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaendarhk View Post
Hrm... is this the thread where I let Riot know what champion I'd like to see free?

If so, Renekton. he hasn't been free since I started playing League, and I've really looked forward to trying him, but 6300 is a bit hefty IPwise for me to acquire(and riot points are semi-out of the question since I play league because I can't afford MMO's).

I can't imagine he'd be THAT complicated, especially since there's a basic Renekton bot.
Just Buy him

Mawrio

Recruiter

04-27-2011

I think some champions need to be played put less on the free to play because they seem over powered such as Tryndamere or Nocturne. I also think that the more defences you have the less damage you do, so basically a debuff.

Shaendarhk

04-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delt Dragon View Post
Just Buy him
>.> I did that with Twisted Fate, and realized I was terrible with him, and I already bought a champion bundle, as well as Akali and her nurse skin for the relief effort. Already blew my budget...

FIESTABOWL12

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-27-2011

i dont mean to bag on you guys and you probably have a valid reason for this but why is chogath free nearly every other week?i understand he is a easy character to learn but its not fair to the people who buy him just to play against him all the time. also it gets really irritating to play him all the time. just saying hes become a little too played thanks to the free champ rotation.

AziJin

04-28-2011

Lol being bad at a champion in the beginning is not uncommon. Just l2play and you will eventually master a champ.

NEONBLAZE

04-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
Hi , I love league of legends , however, I find it silly that you guys have a class of "pusher" champions but I dont see any champions that have the appearance of a rhino.I am only suggesting that you guys make a champion that looks like a rhino and place him under the "pusher" class.I think that would be a great champion and he would sell as much as any other 3 champions put together.

NEONBLAZE

04-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
I think its strange that you guys have a "pusher" catagory ,yet, I havent seen a champion that resembles a rhino.Alistar made some sense because he resembles a bull in a way, but you guys should have already made a champion that resembles a rhino and is listed as a pusher and jungler. why hasnt this happened???

Raoniz

04-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONBLAZE View Post
I think its strange that you guys have a "pusher" catagory ,yet, I havent seen a champion that resembles a rhino.Alistar made some sense because he resembles a bull in a way, but you guys should have already made a champion that resembles a rhino and is listed as a pusher and jungler. why hasnt this happened???

you really like rhinos dont you