How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TomasMurdoc

04-21-2011

I like the weekly rotation. As far as new release characters being in the rotation, it isn't necessary people will get a chance to play them eventually. I would like if the rotation for the new week started on a set day. That is just my two cents however

Trickovich

04-21-2011

I wonder when will Vlad be free..

Magicianblcht

04-21-2011

please remove heimer and leblanc from the rotation forever, oh and teemo too.

Fire Swamp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

Personally, the free rotation is good but could do something extraordinary if they had a program that made every profile have different champs for free. It would make match-ups completely more fun. Players might get lucky and get to use a new champ while the others will be playing as old champs they no how to use.

TaigaHalla

04-21-2011

Argh... I haven't been able to try out Renekton... cmon let him out freee PLZZZ

Sistra

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
I agree, but that's not how business works.

Every time a new champion is released, there's always a lot of excitement generated. The champion spotlight then proceeds to demonstrate how useful and good the new champion is. Then, on the release day, people buy that champion, but later discover that they aren't as OP as they had thought.]

If new champions were free when released, everyone would try them out, realize they aren't as OP as they seem, then not bother to buy them.

If riot is to survive, they need a paying clientele and there needs to be an allure for users to give back to the company that's given us so much. Creating hype about new champions in order to get players to buy them is an ideal method. And sure you might say that they're deceiving us by looking the new champion look amazing, but the reality is, every champion has the potential to be terrible or the best in the game, it depends on the player, so they aren't tricking us.

Making champions free their first week of release, though i agree would be awesome, it would have major impacts on Riot and quite possibly, impact their ability to pump out new content every 2 weeks (roughly).

There's my opinion

Sistra

FOH galo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

only a small portion of the community would have been able to give feed back on him...

cause i mean lets face it only reason udyr was even brought up was because he was free the week he was released and a ton of players played him and gave the feedback on him,

just my 2 cents on the subject =p
This would be an issue if they didn't pimp out at least 4 news items in the 2 weeks before they're released so you save ip up if you really like the idea of the champ or their abilities lend well toward your playstyle.

FOH galo

04-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistra View Post
His proposition regarded the use of free champions in Ranked games only.

I don't know whether or not you're lvl 30 yet, but when you are, you have the option of playing Ranked or Normal matches.

The suggestion was to remove a players ability to play an un-owned champion in a ranked match, which makes perfect sense as it ensures that the player has had at least some experience with that champion.

The suggestion was no to remove a players ability to play free champions in a normal game.

Hopefully that helped clear things up.
Because there are a few free champs that i don't bother buying but can play relatively well (especially in roles I'm not particularly good with and haven't been driven to buy.) like tanks, it makes more sense to limit whether you can play them based on the number of other times you've played them already. If you haven't done at least 10 normal games with a champ why are you choosing them for ranked? (Note: there are some valid answers here like, we needed a tank and none of the ones I have are unbanned and fit the teamcomp.)

WALL E

04-21-2011

The only real thing i believe needs fixing asap, is the "quality of players" you find, in and out of ranked, as myself i play with usually a team of 4with mates In real life, and we seem to always get stuck with a dud, in my 400 games of LoL? not 100% sure, how i have seen TWO solo-ers, carry in my career and thats not exagerrated... one was an udyr in 3v3 and one was a jungle shaco in 5v5... I would like to see if possible, (as a resolution) good solo queuers go with arranged teams, and "average to ****" solo queuers/players get ranked with other solo queuers just to stop the overall rage, and let down of a player in the team and to give the game a more fair feel.
Ultimately if the teams are very even it should really just come down to team work, and team composition tbh, im not sure if thats what Riot is trying to achieve, but so far they've done a good job of this, however an improvement on the issue i arised, would be very appreciated throughout the community

Thanks take care and happy LoLing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris

WALL E

04-21-2011

No offence here just making a point.... maybe for newbies your statement is true, but i agree with the guy saying we should just pick three, once you hit cap level and you draw near to nearly having every character it gets very frustrating knowing that the next rotation is 90% going to be every hero you have... and if not maybe 1 hero like soraka, because u cbf''d buying her.... however it is true that this would be abused. There is enough noobs in the game getting good scores playing op heroes. And besides, I dont want to see a noob karthus everygame who just wants to ulti, and then feed. (Which mind u is prodominant on karthus rots).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
is this a cool idea? Yes.
Would people abuse the hell out of this? Hell yes.
Is it REALLY easy to get enough IP to get 3 champions?... yep.