How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nivekuil

03-07-2011

edit: FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

killflippie

03-07-2011

Where is Twitch?!?!

Korica Riftaxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
There are many good, expensive champions. However, these are rarely free. At most we usually see maybe two per week.

For those of us that want to test them before buying them, we are left with little choice, and if we dislike them, that is a huge loss of IP.

On the other hand, the most frequent champions on the list are low-IP. If we buy one and don't like them, there is little loss, because we can easily regain that lost IP in just a few games.

Therefore, the cheap champions (450 especially) DO NOT need to be made available as often, because they are easy to obtain anyway. We need more 3150/4800/6300 Champions to be available, because they are the ones that require investment, and we don't want to invest without being able to test them out first.

(Honestly, the price tiers just need to be changed and made closer together or removed. The difference is too dramatic. Many 450 Champions are perfectly viable for high-skill play, and plenty of 3150 or 6300 Champions are easy to use.
For the price of one 6300 Champion, I could unlock fourteen 450 Champions.)

Zealm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-07-2011

riot isn't gonna make the new champs free the week they come out anymore cause that means a much larger % of them will pay for him before the community deems them good or bad and they get thrown into the large nerf or buff pool that riot probly has written down somewhere and they consider most of the 450 champs easier to play so thats why they put them in more often, idk why they don't make ww free more often (i hate fighting him but hes the easiest champ to play) but who knows

EncryptedEggroll

03-07-2011

You should've said something about Heim isn't a support. Dat passive though...

manisier

03-07-2011

why are twitch and eve never free did they kill your parents in front of you while you were a kid or something

kofata524

03-08-2011

Sometimes when you give free to play champions some ppl find ones that they really like, so my suggestion is to give each account 1 FREE champion which they like the most. Tell me which are your favourite champion, mine is Renekton. Please think about this

badboyman

03-08-2011

first i want to say thank you for the info and i have no problem with it but i got one question - Why is twitch not free ? i really wanna play him but i never get to 6300 IP points to get him so if you can please put twitch for 1 week :|

Holden McRoin

03-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
If you want Karma to be a good champ, Make her free more often.

We need to play her so we understand her. right now its just a lot of people who say she isnt that great...when she could be better if more ppl knew how to play with her by playing as her.

Eruze v2

03-08-2011

@Korica If the 6300 champions were free too often, there wouldn't be much point of actually buying them if you could play them for free often. One example is Shen. I haven't really hit ranked, so Shen isn't a big deal to me, but he's pretty much free every other week which is why I have hesitated to buy him.