Alistar Item Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Monxide

01-14-2010

Actually AP build of alistar is really fun to play and can be more viable than the usual one if your team dominating since early game. It is really fun to watch people dying from pulverize+headbutt combo.Mejai's and RoA, Frozen heart, Zhonya with a situational surviveability items is way to go.

Xirus

01-14-2010

It depends on what you view as "useful". The way I play is...

Early game go for kills/assists. Mid game/late game, I'm more about helping my team position/healing than anything else. For instance, when pushing a tower, I'll stand near it bashing it down, popping my ult if necessary, so I pretty much can't die. If any enemies come near to defend the tower, punt them back to the team and they die. Alistar's true potential lies in altering the battlefield to his team's advantage: no one can come near him safely, he can move enemies by chasing with flash/ghost, and he can make monstrous creep waves.

As such, my item build is:
Chalice of harmony
Boots of swiftness
Frozen heart

With whatever I feel I need for the game afterwards. Obviously this can vary depending on what damage I'm taking, but I find for 90% of the games, this is the build I want. Next item is usually banshee's veil or the slow hammer (it's late at night and I can't remember it, builds from phage :P)

That's not to say that you can't own with AP alistar. It's just that if you want to own, you should play a carry, and own harder...

Pylat

01-14-2010

When playing Alistar I have grown very fond of sunfire capes for late game. It provides a truck load of armor and hp, and allows you to farm down huge creep waves with stomp and sunfire aura in seconds.

For the early game, I find that chalice + clarity skill is more than enough for mana regen.

My usual build is

meki > chalice
tabi / mercurial boots (depending on enemy)
sunfire cape
frozen heart / sunfire cape

I find that once you get sunfire cape, you can really start to get your farm going. Also 40 dmg/sec should not be underestimated in team fights. when spending 5-10 seconds in the middle of the fray, the sunfire will slowly melt the enemy team away. + chasing down champions with sunfire will also get you some kills.

So far I have been disappointed with sheen. Its useful for last hitting in laning, but I find its late game potential to be very low. IMO lich bane and triforce is just waste of gold, since you are deluding your potential as a main tank.

Im pretty torn on the rune builds, but atm i got att.speed marks, dodge seals and AP glyphs. When i make some more points i will work on getting CDR glyphs.

Im not satisfied with my marks atm, but i really think the rest of the marks are quite worthless to the alistar gameplan, any suggestions?

Monxide

01-14-2010

Well, sunfires on alistar is kinda waste, cause most of the time enemies wont be near you - either you headbutt em away, either they are trying to run away from evil cow. The only use for sunfires on alistar i think is farming, otherwise this item is better fits for rammus who forces enemies to be nearby.