Poppy - The Hybrid Turret Diver!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkling2x

01-13-2010

Op: Just curious what Mastery tree you focus on.

Havnt got a chance to really try her (Outside of 1 solo game vs bots) But Im going to use this guide when I give it a try.

Thx

TokinPrez

01-13-2010

She is a very fun champ and feels very balanced to me. Will she see play at the highest ELO ranges? Prolly not so much but for mid and below she is fantastic and a lot of fun.

I am wondering what you all found to be the best runes / masteries for her?

bobthegood

01-13-2010

What's great about poppy is you can go either trinity force or even AP based around lichbane.

Item build:
Sheen
Boots
Mejais
Sheen -> Lichbane
Nashors Tooth
Zonyas?

Late game my Q and E skills were doing damage in excess of 1k each. I went 21-11 and the enemy poppy who went triforce went 7-9.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzL View Post
The guide is fine, I'm not sure how you make one after one day, but I think Poppy is absolutely great.
I made it before the patch was live, so most of this is theorycraft. If there's item/laning suggestions, I'll look over them, edit, and give credit.

Lots of school work so I'll be busy this weekend, but there should be more additions soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthegood View Post
What's great about poppy is you can go either trinity force or even AP based around lichbane.

Item build:
Sheen
Boots
Mejais
Sheen -> Lichbane
Nashors Tooth
Zonyas?

Late game my Q and E skills were doing damage in excess of 1k each. I went 21-11 and the enemy poppy who went triforce went 7-9.

Problem with pure AP is that E doesn't scale well as it's very buggy atm, and AD scales better than AP for Q, and is better for her as a tankish carry.

I suggest Mejai's if you can snowroll just because it's so item slot efficient.

An interesting thought is Deathfire's Grasp, since E+Q+autoattack does about 50% of the enemy's hp, so Deathfire's Grasp would be a nice complement in dps. Also, it lets you hit CD reduction cap with Golem buff without need of masteries/runes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwrks View Post
I'm finding that people are afraid to gang her even when shes without an ult? lol
Same thing as Gankplank really. Most people are afraid to harass someone that can burst over 40% of their hp away, unless they're going for the kill. Let alone her sick ultimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwrks View Post
I could see Stark's being viable before Trinity is finished, and I also agree on Phage being part 2.
Sorry for not being clear, Phage being built before Zeal is pretty much a given on any Trinity Force user, as they aren't usually early game junglers.

Right, Trinity Force being rushed isn't #1 priority, just getting the slow and sheen effect is enough. I'm just a Timmy (mtg) and like to see level 10 auto attacks for 320 =p

Stark's Fervor is obviously a team reliant item, so sometimes it should be rushed when you have a phys-heavy team (Nasus+Sivir+Taric tryhard teams), and other times, you're better off finishing your +AD items before working on auras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifax View Post
Paragon description is a bit off, stacks 10 times now 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5
speed given is 17%/19%/21%/23%/25%

*edit changed my mind on paragon, 1 point early on is enough*
Yeah, you want your burst damage up, and 1 point is good enough to have chasing ability.

Thanks for the fix, I was using test server stats as this was made before the patch was on live.

Giandris

01-13-2010

my fave build so far

Sheen > BF sword > crit cloak > inf edge > trinity > crit cloak > atmas

can hit some fat crits with W active

definitely a packs a punch - atmas gives some armor for survivability

on another note, frozen heart was BEAST on her. Did Trinity then Frozen heart Q was up every 2.7 sec.... so basically 3 seconds, just in time for tforce + Q spam.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giandris View Post
my fave build so far

Sheen > BF sword > crit cloak > inf edge > trinity > crit cloak > atmas

can hit some fat crits with W active

definitely a packs a punch - atmas gives some armor for survivability

on another note, frozen heart was BEAST on her. Did Trinity then Frozen heart Q was up every 2.7 sec.... so basically 3 seconds, just in time for tforce + Q spam.
Glacial shroud is better than frozen heart, cost-wise, since FH got nerfed hard (slow is additive rather than multiplicative, so the 25% is really more like 11% on carries.)

Not sure on the early infinity edge. With the way Q scales (no crits), I think you're better off purchasing multiple BF swords or a Black Cleaver. Also, you're only going to have ~2.4-2.9k hp, so Atma's is not very good for the cost. Though you apparently did fine either way

Antah Solverou

01-14-2010

I got one question, what dmg does devastating strike? It's like attack modifier so it could be physical but descreption doesn't say anything. It's important to me couse if it's physical then armor pen would rock on her.

Xalerwons

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antah Solverou View Post
I got one question, what dmg does devastating strike? It's like attack modifier so it could be physical but descreption doesn't say anything. It's important to me couse if it's physical then armor pen would rock on her.
It's magic damage. She would be OP if it were physical damage and subsequently procc'ed item effects.

Xynerial

01-14-2010

I went undefeated 3 games in a row on Poppy using this build:

Items:
1. Guardian Angel
2. Ninja's boots
3. Warmog's Armor
4. Frozen Heart (for more mana/armor)
5. Stark's Fervor
6. Bloodthirster

I used my teemo runes as well which seemed to work quite well but definitely could be improved. His marks are armor pen and health, seals are attack speed, and glyphs are cooldown reduction. For a Quintessence I'd go with Health/armor pen. But Poppy most likely doesn't need attack speed too much since she relies much on her abilities.

For her abilities make sure to use Heroic Charge while they are near terrain such as walls because it not only stuns them but also does more additional damage. Also, heroic charge can be that last ditch effeort to kill the enemy with like 1-2 bars left. Devastating Blow is a great follow up to a Heroic Charge, you'll do a lot of damage especially when partnered with somone who can slow/stun. Your ulti makes you immune to all damage other than the person you target with it and you deal 20% more damage to them. So, other than the obvius use of the spell u could also (if being chased by many enemy champs) you could target their weakest one and tno one but him can damage you. Your Paragon of Demacia spell also works well while using it (speed buff).

For masteries I also used Teemo's (can be improved). I'm level 16 so I don't have that full build yet but I have points in crit strike chance, sorcery, alacrity, archaic knowledge, sunder, and improved ignite. I also use tele a lot so i put one i spacial accuracy (utility).

Labomba

01-14-2010

Quote:
Items:
1. Guardian Angel
2. Ninja's boots
3. Warmog's Armor
4. Frozen Heart (for more mana/armor)
5. Stark's Fervor
6. Bloodthirster
Have you tried not building her so tanky? I think you'd find equal, if not better, results picking up attack speed/damage items. She's a DPS at heart imo, and putting defensive items on her waters down her effects on the battlefield. I would think that smart players would downright ignore you and kill the more lethal champions. Aside from Charge, there is little to fear from a low dps Poppy.