Poppy - The Hybrid Turret Diver!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2010

Poppy, the Iron Ambassador

Introduction
First, Poppy has great AP ratios, but her abilities also scale and synergize with a phys dps style. I know many of you will try both like I will, so I'll give item builds for both.

I suspect a full phys dps set up utilizing Sheen + Mejai's (if a snowballing game) is optimal, but further testing is required.

Champion Stats - Level 1 / Level 18

504 / 1881 Hit Points
215 / 725 Mana

.64 / .98 Attack Speed
57 / 114.97 Attack Damage
2% / 7.95% Critical Chance

22 / 90 Armor
30 / 30 Magic Resist
0% / 0% Dodge

320 / 320 Movement Speed

Skills

Passive: Valiant Fighter

Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%

Q: Devastating Blow

65 Mana Cost - 8 Second Cooldown - 600 Range

Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing base damage (+.6 ability power) plus 40 / 70 / 100 / 120 / 160 and 8% of her target's maximum health bonus damage. The bonus damage deal cannot exceed 150 / 225 / 300 / 275 / 450.

W: Paragon of Damacia

60 / 65 / 70 / 75/ 80 Mana Cost - 12 Second Cooldown - 600 Range

Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.

Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17% / 19% / 21% / 23% / 25% for 5 seconds.

E: Heroic Charge
50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 Mana Cost - 12 Second Cooldown - 525 Range

Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+.4 ability power) magic damage. if they collide with terrain, her target takes an additional 75 / 125 / 225 / 275 (+.4 ability power) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5 seconds.

R: Diplomatic Immunity

100 Mana Cost - 140 Second Cooldown - 900 Range

For 6 seconds, Poppy's attacks deal 5 / 10 / 15% increased damage to the marked target. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.

Skill Progression

Level 01 - Heroic Charge
Level 02 - Devastating Blow
Level 03 - Paragon of Demacia
Level 04 - Devastating Blow
Level 05 - Devastating Blow
Level 06 - Diplomatic Immunity
Level 07 - Devastating Blow
Level 08 - Heroic Charge
Level 09 - Devastating Blow
Level 10 - Heroic Charge
Level 11 - Diplomatic Immunity
Level 12 - Heroic Charge
Level 13 - Heroic Charge
Level 14 - Paragon of Demacia
Level 15 - Paragon of Demacia
Level 16 - Diplomatic Immunity
Level 17 - Paragon of Demacia
Level 18 - Paragon of Demacia

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2010

Item Build

Poppy is very similar to Blitzcrank in that she scales very well with all stats, so if you find similarities, it's not without reason. It's key to note that she has 2 abilities that scale with AP unlike Blitzcrank.

Devastating Blow is superior damage to Power Fist, but without the knock up effect and is great regardless of Poppy's base damage.

Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potions
Boots of Speed + Sheen
Trinity Force + Boots of Swiftness or Mercury Tread's
Mejai's / BF Sword
Black Cleaver
Stark's Fervor

The game should be drawing to an end by this point. If not, I would suggest:

Phantom Dancer

At level 18 and with the following items, you will have 2181 hp, 90 armor, and 60 MR. That is pretty close to the sweet spot for abusing Poppy's passive. Adjustments have to be made accordingly as the other team gathers armor/mr penetration.

The average carry will be hitting you for about 180, and critting for 220 at the end game. With Diplomatic Immunity, you can easily kill one of their carries 1v1 especially with your burst damage. Along with a traditional initiator/tank like Alistar/Amumu/Blitzcrank, you are a wonderful addition to any team composition.

Important Consideration
If you can accrue lifesteal from an alternate source or aura, do so. Lifesteal is amazing on Poppy, as it makes her as durable as an unstunnable Nasus.

Xalerwons

01-13-2010

Strategy

Poppy is not a good solo champion. His abilities are better utilized in conjunction with a partner, preferably one who can stun or permaslow a target.

Poppy plays very much like a Yi ironically. You can chase well (will need Trinity Force, lizard buff, Exhaust, or teamwork), do great damage, push towers, tower dive. You lose the snowball effect of Highlander for the capability to initiate team fights and ganks and guarantee and auto-kill via Diplomatic Immunity.

You want to lane somewhat conservatively if you're outmatched (range vs double melee), as you really don't want to risk dying until you get your ultimate. By then, you should get your lizard buff and go for the kill. Turret dive and abuse Poppy's ultimate. Make sure the turret/minions see you first, so your ally can keep attacking scot-free without worry.

Once you get your ultimate, you can continue tower pushing, or you can begin to control all the neutral creep buffs. You can take on a jungling Warwick of Yi with ease. Your passive and Q is just that good. Additionally, your E ability is much more accessible in the jungle, with plenty of terrain to work with.

There is nothing like charging a jungler, last hitting their creep, and using Devastating Blow and going to town with them.

Just don't get carried away. You can get killed, and one of your arch nemesis will be Twitch. He has an ultra-fast attack speed, damage that is largely unmitigated your passive, and a long duration DoT that won't trigger your passive neither. They also have a tendency to get Malady or Wit's End which will count separate to their base attack, also bypassing your passive.

Your role in a team fight is a soft-carry initiator. You do nearly the same dps as an equally farmed carry, and have better burst damage. Your weakness of being melee dps over ranged is largely made up for by your amazing ultimate and your charge+stun ability.

You will be in the fray first, or ideally second, after a support-tank's ranged stun/pull/grab, to disable and kill the enemy's primary carry asap.

Baron Corm

01-13-2010

Why would you say that she has great AP ratios? A true hybrid like Cho'Gath has 1.7 (total) ratios on two AoE abilities, and .5 on his true damage ultimate. Poppy has lame 1.4 (if hit into a wall, total) ratios on single-target abilities.

Tarion

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
Why would you say that she has great AP ratios? A true hybrid like Cho'Gath has 1.7 (total) ratios on two AoE abilities, and .5 on his true damage ultimate. Poppy has lame 1.4 (if hit into a wall, total) ratios on single-target abilities.
The thing with Poppy is that hers are on half the cooldown that Cho's are. He has better burst, but he has to wait 16 seconds to get the Scream up again.

Baron Corm

01-13-2010

Ah, interesting, that makes sense. I've never actually played her =P. Going to get around to it today. The single-target thing still sounds like it could be detrimental.

Vermifax

01-13-2010

Guide worked pretty well for me. I was hitting so hard but low on life/regen so I went for starks before completing triforce or IE and game ended when I had Sheen/Phage/Mercboots/half of zeal and starks.

8-1-8

The other poppy took the default suggested stuff and died a lot.

Also I would get sheen->phage instead of sheen-> zeal but you didn't really list an order.

Paragon description is a bit off, stacks 10 times now 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5
speed given is 17%/19%/21%/23%/25%

*edit changed my mind on paragon, 1 point early on is enough*

Lightwrks

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifax View Post
Guide worked pretty well for me. I was hitting so hard but low on life/regen so I went for starks before completing triforce or IE and game ended when I had Sheen/Phage/Mercboots/half of zeal and starks.

8-1-8

The other poppy took the default suggested stuff and died a lot.

The only other thing I would add is after blow is maxed, alternate paragon and charge instead of waiting for paragon till the end. IMO the benefits from having a higher paragon outweigh the extra dmg on charge. More speed, more dmg,

Also I would get sheen->phage instead of sheen-> zeal but you didn't really list an order.
I could see Stark's being viable before Trinity is finished, and I also agree on Phage being part 2.

blithen

01-13-2010

AMAZING guide, just went 27/7 with her.

Lightwrks

01-13-2010

I'm finding that people are afraid to gang her even when shes without an ult? lol