AD Kat > AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Big Fat Unicorn

04-05-2011

Many people have seen my AD Katarina and slight ap hybrid, and say that she is absolutely worse than straight ap. The difference is that my AD Katarina will snowball harder than a kat with soulstealer and deathcap. What's your opinion on this?

BenKen0bee

Adjudicator

04-05-2011

It's not that AD Kat won't work. It will. With AD bouncing blade does a significant amount of damage to multiple targets. You can also hit towers and creeps better. If the other team has a Veigar, I would likely choose to go AD.

However, AP still trumps AD in most cases. Kat, especially her ultimate, simply benefits more from AP. In most other instances other AD champions are better than Kat in every regard aside from her ultimate. It's my opinion that beefing up her one-trick-pony show would lead to the greatest benefit of maximizing her DPS in team fights.

Big Fat Unicorn

04-05-2011

Thanks for the insight. But I argue that an extremely fed AP Kat vs. an AD Kat, the AD would be the winner of this. Her BB is devastating, her shunpo isn't that great but it's still boosted by at least 1 AP item. And lets not forget the ultimate from 3 maxed and farmed out Bloodthirsters versus A 20x Mejais and Deathcap.

corallein

04-05-2011

Great. And if you could get 3 maxed Bloodthirsters, you should be able to 1v5 the other team no matter what you built earlier.

Comparing maxed out builds is stupid - especially if you're counting on maxed out snowball items or BT's, which lose all their charges on death.

KPloggz

04-05-2011

Why don't you just get a gunblade and benefit even more?

Big Fat Unicorn

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPloggz View Post
Why don't you just get a gunblade and benefit even more?
Bloodthirster is cheaper than a gunblade, though the downside is that you lose all of the power on death, gunblade you do not. The raw AD the thirster provides should be stronger than the gunblade. So stacking thirsters is better than stacking gunblades; its just the risk of dying that pushes you back.

Darknessball2003

04-05-2011

Kat is AP

Prometheius

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenXk View Post
Bloodthirster is cheaper than a gunblade, though the downside is that you lose all of the power on death, gunblade you do not. The raw AD the thirster provides should be stronger than the gunblade. So stacking thirsters is better than stacking gunblades; its just the risk of dying that pushes you back.
While your little Ult does more Damage, I'll lol when I'm vamping back 1/2 the damage I do on every skill cast and hit you for true damage.

Wangster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenXk View Post
Thanks for the insight. But I argue that an extremely fed AP Kat vs. an AD Kat, the AD would be the winner of this. Her BB is devastating, her shunpo isn't that great but it's still boosted by at least 1 AP item. And lets not forget the ultimate from 3 maxed and farmed out Bloodthirsters versus A 20x Mejais and Deathcap.
3 BT = ~9k gold
Mejai + Deathcap = ~5k gold

???

Sunwise

04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosad2day View Post
3 BT = ~9k gold
Mejai + Deathcap = ~5k gold

???
This. 3 BTs are 9600g. To get a proper comparison, you'd have to compare that to an AP Kat with Mejai + Deathcap + 3 Needlessly Large Rods (9635g), or perhaps something you're more likely to see in actual play like Mejai + Deathcap + HG + Abyssal (8970g).

AD will have a better Q and better tower damage, and will be less susceptible to Veigar, but lack MPen, so her damage will be easier to reduce. She can't apply the lifesteal to anything but autoattacks, so it doesn't really give her any additional survivability via self-healing (one of the primary virtues of Gunblade or Revolver Kat). AP has a better E, ult, and survivability, as well as having MPen, making her damage substantially harder to reduce. If you get fed early, AD Kat will probably do a better job of ending the game quickly, but AP Kat is more well-rounded, and more likely to survive the inevitable interruption of her ult to continue contributing to the teamfight.