Renekton Guide - Tank Warrior

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

omega369

01-18-2011

Story

On a faraway world, Renekton was born a member of a race of bestial guardians created to serve as the rulers and protectors of their people. Alongside his brother Nasus, Renekton oversaw the upkeep of the Great Library, which served as both a vault of ancient knowledge and the repository of the teachings of the Cycle of Life and Death. While the enlightened Nasus taught those scholars who came to study, Renekton served as the Great Library's gatekeeper. He could sense the true natures of those who sought Nasus' teachings, and he sent away those with dark ambitions. Over time, however, his repeated exposure to this evil infected his mind. He grew furious with the malevolence in the hearts of men, and as he descended deeper into madness, he discovered he could quell the fury by cutting the evil from the men who possessed it. Unfortunately, the relief was as short-lived as the subjects, and the ''butcher's rage'', as it came to be known, would resurge even stronger.

Consumed by his anger, Renekton turned on the one being who could defeat him -- his own brother. Nasus pleaded with Renekton to see reason. Realizing that he was beyond redemption, the despondent Nasus valiantly struck down his wayward sibling. Defenseless, Renekton waited eagerly for death's release. It never came. He was spared when summoners from the League of Legends claimed his brother. Caught in the wake of this powerful spell, Renekton tumbled for what seemed like ages between realities. When he finally emerged, he fell deep into the sewers of Zaun. Insane with fury, Renekton languished in his newfound home, driven senseless by his rage. That is until, by happenstance, he caught a familiar scent on the air. Believing that the familiar scent who guide him to the solace which was fading from his memory, he his brother all the way to the Institute of War.

''My brother has become hollow. Full of rage, but empty.'' -- Nasus, the Curator of the Sands.

Introduction

Alright I got a few games down with our favorite crocodile. Hopefully I can share my knowledge with you and we can all benefit.

Skills

First and foremost Renekton is the most unique champ to come out so far. Instead of mana or energy, he has a fury bar (World of Warcraft anyone?). The way this works is as he takes or deals damage, his fury bar will increase. Once his fury bar gets to 50, (or 100) his next spell will have an increased effect. When not in combat, he slowly loses fury. Therefore one can surmise that this champ is most effective in constant combat and must be built as such.

Note: ALL of Renekton's abilities are free to cast at anytime. Also all of his abilities other then his ult deal physical damage.

Q
- Call of the Meek - Renekton swings his blade dealing physical damage + (40, 70, 100, 130, 160 ) to nearby enemies and gains 10% of damage dealt in health, up to (50, 75, 100, 125, 150). Each hit grants 5 fury, up to a max of 25. Enemy champions grant 200% additional health recovery.

50 bonus fury - Damage increased to (60, 105, 150, 195, 245 ). Heal percent increased to 15%, up to (150, 255, 300, 375, 450 )

You''re bread and butter skill in the laning phase. Basically a 360 degree melee swing that deals damage and heals you. Max this first to avoid getting harassed out of your lane. Allows for massive heals and damage when used in conjunction with his bonus fury. This ability works when surrounded by multiple enemy champs.

W
- Ruthless Predator - Renekton's next attack strikes twice, dealing physical damage [ (10, 30, 50, 70, 90) + 150% of his attack damage] and stuns for 0.75 seconds. Each hit applies on-hit effects.

50 bonus fury - Renekton attacks 3 times, dealing physical damage [ (15, 45, 75, 105, 135) + 225% of his attack damage] and stuns for 1.5 seconds. Each hit applies on-hit effects.

Renekton's stun plus a double / triple attack. This is in my opinion best used in conjunction with the 50 bonus fury as it doubles the targets stun time. This skill is only usable in melee range and counts as Renekton's next attack when activated.

E - Slice and Dice - Renekton dashes, dealing (45, ?, ?, ?, ?) physical damage. If he hits an enemy target, he gains the use of this ability again.

50 bonus fury - damage increased to (67.5, ?, ?, ?, ?) Enemies hit have (10........) reduced armor for 4 seconds.

This is a skill shot ability that allows Renekton to dash to a target area. Any enemy unit he passes through will be hit for damage. Also if he hits an enemy unit, (champion or minion) he gains the use of this ability again, effectively allowing him to dash twice. This ability deals physical damage and does not apply on-hit effects. This is also an excellent ability to use in combination with the 50 bonus fury is it will make all your skill and your team strike the target for more physical damage

You can also use this skill to jump through this walls and off ledges. Take the time to learn which walls you can jump through and which walls you cant. It will save your life.

R -
Renekton surrounds himself with dark energies for 15 seconds, gaining (300, 450, 500) health. While active he deals (50, 75, 100) magic damage to nearby enemies and gains 5 fury per second

This ult is almost an exact copy of Nasus's ult such that it gives him a massive hp burst and deals damage to all enemies around him, making his team fighting presence quite powerful.

Skill Build

Passive Lane build 1
Q, E, W, Q, Q, R, Q, E, Q, E, R, E, E, W, W, R, W, W

Passive Lane build 2
Q, E, W, Q, Q, R, Q, W, Q, W, R, W, W, E, E, R, E, E

Note: These two skills builds are for when you go straight to a lane (which you should always do as Renekton as his team fighting skills at lvl 1 are almost non-existent) Q is maxed first due to its life-steal. This will give Renekton more
staying power in lane. Also the second skill to max is debatable as both W and E will provide bonus damage with the effects staying constant. I prefer maxing E second as I find I spam it much more then W.

Aggressive lvl 1 team fight or gank build
W, E, Q, Q, Q, R, Q, E, Q, E, R, E, E, W, W, R, W, W

Note: Although this is highly not recommended, as Renekton is much weaker at lvl 1 then many champs, sometimes a lvl 1 fight is inevitable. For this we take stun first, then dash.

Jungle Build - Coming soon
Note : I haven't tested Renekton in the jungle much but from what I've seen so far he is quite weak early on and will have much trouble jungling effectively, even with smite and a full jungle rune page.

Items

Note: No item build is set in stone. All items should be based on the opposing team. However, there are a couple core items that Renekton absolutely needs. I will attempt to cover these as well as provide an explanation.

First Item - Doran's Shield or Regrowth Pendant + 1 hp pot

Either of these items in conjunction with your Q ability will allow you to heal, farm, and not be pushed out of the lane early, which is important for any hero.

Note: I usually take regrowth pendant if I am soloing. Doran's Shield is best taken in a dual lane as the extra armor and health will help against the extra harass in a dual lane.

Second Item - boots 1 into Ionian Boots of Lucidity or Mercury Treads
+ Wards

Since Renekton's spells have no cost, the only limiting factor is their cool-down time. Having reduced cool down will increase Renekton's damage by a large factor.

Mercury Treads are optional depending on the amount of cc on the enemy team.
If, for example, you are against a team consisting of Rammus, Anivia, Ashe, Sion, and Morgana, then it would be a better option to get mercury treads over the CDR boots.

Optional Second/Third Items - Heart of Gold, Brutalizer

Pick up Heart of Gold if you are taking a lot of physical damage and/or need some extra farm. This item is a solid investment in your future, providing gold per 5 and useful stats.
Pick up a Brutalizer early if you are farming well as it provides excellent stats - damage, armor pen, and cdr

Third Item - Spirit Visage + Wards

This item is absolutely a must on Renekton as it provides all the necessary stats needed by him. Health and magic resist for more durability, CDR for more spell spamming, and an increase in healing by 20% for extra healing off your Q ability.

Fourth Item - Phage into Frozen Mallet / Last Whisper + Wards

Frozen Mallet is not necessary but highly recommended due to its useful stats + slow. It provides a large amount of health to further increase durability as well as a small amount of damage, which will improve the damage of Q, W, E skills and a slow that will proc off auto attacks and the W skill.

Last Whisper will provide a direct damage boost to each of your abilities (minus your ult). Get this against a tanky team.

Fifth Item - Force Of Nature, Banshees Veil, Sunfire Cape, Randuin's Omen, Guardian Angel + Wards

Force Of Nature against a AP heavy team - extra mr, ms and hp regen all useful. Also that regrowth pendant you bought early on will combine into this item.
Banshees Veil against a AP/cc heavy team - the mana is wasted but overall, it is an extremely useful item against heros like Blitz, Ashe and Karthus.
Sunfire Cape against physical heavy team - armor and health both useful + passive works well with ult for extra damage
Randuin's Omen - armor, hp and regen are all good stats and its active ability is amazing for slowing and reducing attack speed of their carries
Guardian Angel - armor and mr + an extra life every 5 minutes -whats not to like!

Sixth Item - Force Of Nature, Banshees Veil, Sunfire Cape, Randuin's Omen, Guardian Angel + Wards / Oracle

Whatever you didn't get for the fifth item and dependent on the enemy team

Seventh Item - Bloodthirster/Atmas Impaler + Wards / Oracle

If the game goes this long, sell your dorian's shield/regrowth pendant and build this to give you that extra edge

NOTE: This is my personal opinion on items for Renekton. As you can see, I believe tank Renekton to be the only viable build against mid/high elo opponents.
The reason for this is HE BELONGS in the middle of every team fight to maximize fury gained and damage done by his ult and Q abilities. Although it may seem tempting, if you rush pure damage items you will die instantly against a competent team.

NOTE: The red potion was absolutely made for this hero. Pick it up before there is about to be a huge team fight.

Optional Items

Youmuu's Ghostblade
Extra damage, crit chance, CDR, armor penetration and an amazing active. Yet you have to sacrifice on survivability to buy this.

Warmog's Armor
I would only ever consider this if two conditions were met. First would be if I was soloing mid or top as you need a large amount of cs to max this item. Second would be that I was sure none of the enemy carries were getting Madred's Bloodrazor.

Sword of the Occult / Leviathan
If you are dominating (3 kills / 0 deaths or higher) why not get one of these and take the domination to a whole new level.

Runes

Red - 9 x Armor Pen

Yellow - 9 x Flat Armor or
9 x Armor / Level or
9 x Health / Level or
9 x Dodge

Blue - 9 x Flat Cool Down Reduction or
9 x Cool Down Reduction / Level or
9 x Flat Magic Resist or
9 x Magic Resist / Level

Quint - 3 x Flat Health

Summoner Skills

Either ghost/flash or ghost/exhaust

Ghost and flash are currently the most useful of all summoner spells.
Exhaust is for early ganking and shutting down the enemies highest damage dealer.

No exceptions - I'm assuming that anyone reading this guide knows how summoners work so I wont go into detail.

Masteries

8/21/1

Offensive - 3/3 Dealiness, 1/1 Cripple (if you took exhaust) or 1/3 Archmage's Savvy
- 4/4 Sorcery

Defensive - 3/3 Resistance, 3/3 Hardiness
- 4/4 Evasion
- 2/2 Defensive Mastery, 1/1 Nimbleness, 3/3 Harden Skin
- 4/4 Veteran's Scars
- 1/1 Tenacity

Utility - 1/1 haste

Tactics

Early game

Renekon is one of the weakest champs at level 1, however he grows in power at a very high rate. At the beginning of the game always take note of what champs you are playing against. If you are solo (mid or top) grab a Regrowth Pendant and head to your lane. If you are dual lane ( bot ) grab a Dorian's Shield and head to your lane.
Last hitting is especially important with this hero as he needs a large amount of farm to be effective. The Shield or Pendant along with Q should help you absorb some of the harass you'll take when last hitting. Always try to out farm your opponent.

Play very passively, only last hitting until about level four or five. At this lvl you should have rank 2 or 3 Q, rank 1 W and rank 1 E. Now you can start effectively harassing the enemy champs. To do this simply dash (E) into an enemy champ, stun it (W), throw in a Q for even more damage and life steal, then dash (E) away from the champ before it has a chance to retaliate. Don't forget that all your spells are free so as long as you keep your life high enough you can harass forever. This is very effective in a dual lane but is unstoppable in a solo lane as you don't usually need to dash (E) away. You can just keep auto attacking that squishy ashe and proceed to destroy her. Once you reach 6 you have the ability to tower dive with the extra 300 health.

On your first trip back make sure you buy a vision ward to place so you know when those pesky junglers try to gank you. And they will once they realize what a threat you are.

Note: always keep in mind that once you reach 50 fury, the next spell you cast (ult is not effected) will have an extra effect.

Mid Game

You should have your boots, spirit visage and phage completed. You can now not be out harassed as the heal gains from Q are quite powerful. Team fights should just be beginning. You are the off-tank, not the main tank, and should be the second one into battle for your team. Your job is to activate your ult and proceed to jump into the middle of the fight (after your main tank initiates). Your goal is to wreak havoc on the enemies teams most dangerous champions. You do this by spamming all your abilities constantly, slowing and stunning their carries while you deal massive aoe damage with your ult and Q. Renekton thrives on combat and being in the middle of battle. Use the bonus fury and CDR to absolutely destroy the enemy team.

Note: the fury bonus for all three of his skills is amazing in team fights. Q for extra damage / heal, W for extra stun time / damage, and E for armor reduction / extra damage.

Late game

Same as mid game. You should now be an unstoppable force if you farmed correctly and made the right item choices. Destroy their carries and win the game for your team.

Conclusion

Edit: Renekton seems slightly underpowered such that his base stats are quite low for a melee dps hero and could use a slight buff.

Renekton is a very unique champ in my opinion. He's also a hell of a lot of fun to play. My hats off to you riot! Nice work!

Hopefully my guide can help you improve in some way with our favorite croc. Thanks for reading and go get them!

Will continue to update.

Minahs Day

01-18-2011

Why make a melee DPS a tank build? It'd be better off playing a 3.5k - 4k hp Sion with 220 AD 50% crit and 75% life steal then it'd be making a 3k HP Renekton with 200 AD and etc....

omega369

01-18-2011

He needs survivability in order to stay in the middle of the fight to maximize his damage potential and survive.

Scabadoobop

Recruiter

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega369 View Post
He needs survivability in order to stay in the middle of the fight to maximize his damage potential and survive.
This. Golden rule for any champion meant to do damage. At levels 1-29, whatever, even malady stacking in the olden days still won you games. Nowadays people are starting to smarten up and focus the right champions.

Doing 400 damage auto-attacks constantly for example, is better than doing 500-600 damage once and then dying.

Threpe

01-18-2011

I feel like I just watched the Champion Spotlight again. But with random boldface.

DarkHero

01-18-2011

Phreak made a way better guide than this fail Renek has been out one day so dont make a guide when you havnt played him for a couple weeks

hFubuKQZziYM5gq7

01-18-2011

What about atma impaler in this build? He has a lot of bonus health (and alot of healt) and this will result in high AD plus crit plus armor. All for cheap 2.4k g.

I was thinking to take it as a fourth item, after frozen mallet. What do you think?

ReadInPeace

01-19-2011

He doesn't really need crit though. Just AD, CDR, and survivability.

Monki D Rufi

01-19-2011

I dont mean to take away from the guilde but after looking at your match history it looks like you havent played anything but custom games with Renekton?

Cimetière

01-19-2011

Renekton's skills don't get any benefit from crit.