Ideal Lane-mate for Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grovel

01-12-2010

New to LoL and my buddy who I play the majority of my games with seems pretty smitten with Alistar. From what I've read he's a great Champ throughout all levels of play, so I'd love to pick a champ who complements the beefy stunning bull.

At the moment I'm pretty fond of Nunu, but for pub games I feel like that combo isn't taking advantage of Alistar's ability to feed a carry. The only true Carry I own is Master Yi, but something doesn't feel quite right about the swordsman with the minotaur.

Other toons that I've heard go well with Alistar are Blitzcrank, Shaco, and Tristana. Willing to plop down some riot points to pick up a champ with good synergy, any recommendations?

Hetu

01-12-2010

Me and a friend of mine always have a really good time with Blitzcrank and Alistar. Blitz isn't a traditional carry in most cases, but he still gets good use of item acceleration. You'll be taking down your tower within the first handful of minutes most likely, and if you continue to pressure towers, your entire team will start to get a level advantage.

Rocket Grab -> Powerfist -> Pulverize -> Headbutt will almost always get you a kill depending on their summoner spells, that's not even including Blitz's ulti burst or overdriving

meorah

01-12-2010

anybody with a non-ult disable or a lengthy snare/silence... ryze's rune prison, TF's gold card, ashe's slow arrow, kassadin's silence/slow combo, chogath's rupture/silence, veigar's stun, soraka's silence, taric's stun, sion's stun, evelyn's stun.

if alistar gets a stun/knock into your tower, you can safely assume their cleanse is down and a 2nd stun or disable will get you a kill even if they get half way back to their tower. Silence to counter summoner abilities like ghost/flash or native champ escapes like kas' riftwalk.

Sadness Assassin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2010

Well, from playing Alistar a few times what's really awesome is having a partner stun. A stun, punt, and then another stun pretty much dooms a character and can nab you a kill fairly early on. Also, Alistar paired with another tank like Blitz can get ridiculous, simply because you become an unkillable team. Blitzcrank's rocket grab also pairs nicely with your stunning and punting capabilities.

On the other hand, what Alistar excels at his feeding carries. You could go with someone like Ashe, Yi, Jax, or others who can inflict balls to the wall awesome when they are well fed with kills. On a side note, someone with a little range would also be good because Alistar has a bit of trouble if he's constantly harassed by ranged attacks and spells.

All that being said, it really depends on the role you want to play, and how your friend typically plays Alistar.

HowlingKommando

01-12-2010

Most impressive one I've seen is with Zilean.

Zilean haste lets Alistar do his Pulverize combo without always relying on Flash.

BORF

01-12-2010

Hands down Annie is the best lane mate for alistar becase she can stun and is the best nuker early game. Fiddles is a good runner up because of drain and fear. Whenever my friend and I use either of these combos we get 2-10 kills before level 8ish and we're pretty high elo.

Monxide

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORF View Post
Hands down Annie is the best lane mate for alistar becase she can stun and is the best nuker early game. Fiddles is a good runner up because of drain and fear. Whenever my friend and I use either of these combos we get 2-10 kills before level 8ish and we're pretty high elo.
^This. Actually any bursty champ goes well with alistar, however as being said, zilean is really fun partner as well, alistar running on a lightning speed for his pulv headbutt combo with couple of bombs on them later is pretty much ensured kill. Ashe is good too, she can slow down a bit champ to make you land a pulverize on him easily without relying on flash.

zanitonium

01-12-2010

Alisters best friends:

Ryze
Twisted Fate
Tyrndamere
Rammus (hate to stack two tanks to a lane, but this is ugly)
Ashe
Evelyn
Teemo to an extent..
Katarina is pretty nasty, stun & boot them right into kat's death lotus.
Fiddlesticks
yi isn't too great till he gets a few items but if non of the others on this list are on your team, take him along..

Basically you want a carry, preferably someone with some sort of disable/stun/snare as was already mentioned.

The Alister blitzcrank combo mentioned above I already denounced in another post because it ends up gimping your dps in other lanes. Alister shouldn't be getting kills, he should be getting mostly assists -- your job is feed kills to your carry. Alister can be very very poor and still highly effective, he's probably the top tank atm and it seems like everyone has caught on to this... very upsetting to me as alister is and has been my main for some time.

Zenanii

01-12-2010

i had some fun playing alistar together with heimerdinger.

Use triumphant roar to keep turret farms alive.

Use stun + knockback and knock people into turret farms for a death sentence.

If they play safe and tower hug, push like crazy. By the 15:th minute we had laid siege to their last tower with nade spamming.
Also alistar in the middle of a turret farm can take on a whole enemy team (assuming they are stupid, but since you're new you opponents should fall for it, mine does).

Monxide

01-12-2010

I agree that alistar is hands down the best tank in the game right now, probably followed by malphite. His only weakness - horrible farming ability, i wish they tweak his passive for smt like 20% more damage for towers AND minions. And one minor tweaking which is also needed - the damage on pulverize should be applied instantly and not on landing, too much targets dies while flying leaving poor cowie without assist