Champion Tiers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xylarax

01-15-2010

Baron Corm I think you should redo this list again. Except this time put people in multiple spots. Teemo, TF, Kassadin and others are commonly played as physical or AP. Put em in both spots, you don't even need to put parenthesis because the category already tells you what kind.

Also Udyr is Tier 1 melee DPS, no question also you put blitzcrank below alistar? as-if.

JunkRamen

01-15-2010

A tier list doesn't need categories, because even if different champions are brought for different reasons, a tier list judges how good they are based on representation and some theorycraft about their contribution to a team at high level play. Furthermore, your categorization can cause some confusion in what the tiers really mean; for example, you have Tryndamere at melee DPS T2, but then also have Tristana/Sivir at T2 for ranged DPS and Nasus/Blitzcrank at T2 for tanks. All of those champions are much more common and generally contribute more than Tryndamere (and in Sivir's case she should replace Corki in T1 anyway).

I wouldn't worry about updating your tier list for a while. The patch has definitely moved some champions around (like Udyr) but we should wait until people get more comfortable with the changes.

As of LAST patch though, some notes:

-Yi is NOT at the same level as Shaco. The melee list cannot be made in just 3 tiers. I believe common consensus is Shaco >>>> Yi > Trynd > Jax (who doesn't play carry at high level anyway) > Warwick. Tryndamere might actually be lower, not sure about him.

-Corki is NOT at the same level as Twitch. He's good but not Twitch good. Sivir might be at the same level though.

-Another reason why categories are misleading: Nunu in magical DPS. He does a lot of magic damage, but in the compositions he plays he is generally a tank.

-Annie is at least one step above the other casters. Heimer with the glitch was probably actually top tier last patch, but without it I'm not sure. I don't think he was low tier, though - rockets almost guaranteed at least one trip back to the shop for the other team and he can protect himself a bit with grenade/turrets. You just have to end the game pretty early if you use him.

-Cho'gath probably belongs in T2 tank. IMO Alistar and Malphite should be in a tier of their own, with the others in T2. Taric isn't really a main tank and Amumu is not down there with Mundo.

-Your "unique or multitalented" tree doesn't really make sense if you're going to categorize the champions like this at all. Teemo in no way plays the same role as Janna in a team.

HarlockJC

01-15-2010

Why people think so little of Soraka is beyond me........

Grovel

01-15-2010

I had no idea Ashe was that bad... she too much of a glass canon? Just a pub stomper?

I'm shocked Tristana completely outclasses her, I don't find her burst that strong, her Ulti is just utility or a kill shot (otherwise you just blasted the kill target to safety), and using her jump offensively is pretty risky outside of a 1v1 chase. Clearly I need to give her another look.

Guess it's true, Ashe is just a noob toy.

JunkRamen

01-15-2010

Quote:
Why people think so little of Soraka is beyond me........
She's not bad, just not great. Last patch was carry heavy, and she's one of the weakest healers for supporting carries. Taric and Kayle both do a better job at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
I had no idea Ashe was that bad... she too much of a glass canon? Just a pub stomper?

I'm shocked Tristana completely outclasses her, I don't find her burst that strong, her Ulti is just utility or a kill shot (otherwise you just blasted the kill target to safety), and using her jump offensively is pretty risky outside of a 1v1 chase. Clearly I need to give her another look.

Guess it's true, Ashe is just a noob toy.
Ashe doesn't have a very good auto-attack. Aside from that she has a good but long CD stun and Volley, which is great but doesn't compare to what the other ranged carries bring.

Tristana has one of the best auto-attacks later in the game. Her ult is "just a killshot," sure, but that killshot hurts a ton early-mid game. Her jump makes her very dangerous early game, but in a duo lane you need good support to make use of it.

She's a bit overestimated IMO too, but I can see why teams would bring her over Ashe.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

01-15-2010

dude you are never going to have an accurate tier list. There are characters that have a niche or will always dominate in the right hands.

This is the tier list that really exists:

Top/mid tier:
-----------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
grey area |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-----------------------------------------------

Heroes that are weak and should not be played until rework:

Warwick, Janna, Amumu, potentially Evelyn and Jax (of course you could pubstomp with them enough if you are playing against terribles, but w/e), Tryndamere is creeping closer to this list, sadly

JunkRamen

01-15-2010

A character that dominates "in the right hands" can be appropriately placed in a tier list, and because competition is part of what makes a real tier list, the difficulty of playing that character is taken into consideration (eg: SF4 Crimson Viper). Then we also get to the argument where being hard to be successful with just means the character is weak... the line between those is very subtle...

Amumu isn't weak, but maybe he could use a rework though. He's very one-dimensional. A lot of champions are though, and some of them are actually strong (Malphite).

Number9

01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastr View Post
i have to disagree on the veigar < annie tier wise, if veigar is played correctly he doesnt need to be 'fed' early game, his nukes are powerful and continue to be powerful, he wipes anyone with a mana pool out no problems at all and that can lead to a quick 4v5 and his stun can be used in multiple ways, offensively, defensively, it doesn't even have to stun, it can keep the entire enemy team at bay if they are all inside the circle. They have to sit inside that circle or risk getting stunned going out to the edges making them sitting ducks for any aoes.

mana late game is not an issue for veigar at all as well

besides he looks cooler.

I'm afraid I don't believe this is the case. I've played Veigar extensively (my main) all the way through beta into retail and then switched to Annie to see what all the claims saying she was superior were about. In my experiences, she is simply more effective. Her stun is more reliable and she doesn't contain a big damage spell almost entirely reliant upon the success of that stun or the inability of the opponent. Played well, she will have her stun available at any moment where it's important - and what's more, she can have a second stun primed to follow the first. Also, Tibbers is great for a variety of reasons.

HOWEVER, a Veigar player who is able to land his Dark Matter reliably may actually be stronger in the end game.

This is simply my opinion based around my experiences, I hope you understand.

Pocky Snacks

01-15-2010

It's infuriating to see a "tier list" list like the one I'm seeing as of January 15, 4:52pm PST. Why? Because it looks half-assed.

What exactly are we looking at here when we're talking about "Tiers"? In fighting games, we're talking about a character's ability to overcome other opponents by any means possible. In LoL, I'd have imagined we'd be talking about a character's potential in all of the categories that they're labelled under (Tank, Carry, Tough, Fighter, Support, etc.).

All you're doing in your current incarnation of the list is labelling who you think has the highest base potential in any given stat, except it's inconsistent. Honestly, in your current incarnation of the list, Janna should probably rank up there in ranged physical DPS above Ashe because her E ability gives her more physical base damage than what Ashe's abilities have to offer (Enchanted Crystal Arrow counts as magic damage).

Your "Tank" category doesn't make sense either. What are we looking at here; the ability for champions to absorb damage? Malphite has a 10% Health armor, but other than that he has no absorption defense against magic. Blitzcrank could arguably be a better tank than Malphite in this case because his mana shield can absorb more damage than the 10% health shield that Malphite's passive provides. Mundo would also have to be ranked top-tier in this case because his Ult and passive make him nigh-unkillable for the duration that it's up. But wait then, where's Kayle? Her ult prevents her from dying for 6 seconds. And Tryndamere? His Ult also allows him to outlast the other tanks and absorb more potential damage.

Obviously, if Malphite and Singed are top-tier Tank champions, then a lot more consideration must have been taken for the Tank champions than there was for the DPS champions.

END WALL OF TEXT.

So my proposal is, if you really want to make a tier list, you should take all of the champion labels that Riot has come up with and judge each champion individually.

That way, it would make sense that Janna isn't a ranged DPS, and it would also make sense as to why Mundo and Blitzcrank don't compare to Malphite (and I would argue that Cho-gath and Singed don't compare either).

SlimBlade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2010

This "Champion Tiers" is completely stupid. Each champion should not be categorized by tiers because every single one of them is unique in their own way. You cannot classify which one is higher tier.