Udyr - The jack of all trades, the master of none?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zenanii

01-12-2010

So i recently started playing Udyr. I liked the idea of stance dancing to be able to do multiple things ( druid was my favorite hero back in the days i was playing wow).

But (there is always a "but") , while i do feel i can do alot of different things, i just can't do them good enough. Turtle gives me some tanking ability, but im nowhere near Alistar or Cho'Gath.
In phoenix i can do some decent aoe damage, but still fall short compared to Annie or Ryze.
While in bear form i can give CC but once again heroes like Veigar or Cho'Gath do this better.
In tiger form form i have good dps, but not remotely close to twitch or Yi.

The issue i have is that no matter how i play him, i just don't feel effective.

So, as Udyr, what is my role in the team? Im trying to understand and learn this champion, so give me the reasons why I would play him over the other mentioned heroes.
Any link to a guide would also be helpful.

CoVi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenanii View Post
So i recently started playing Udyr. I liked the idea of stance dancing to be able to do multiple things ( druid was my favorite hero back in the days i was playing wow).

But (there is always a "but") , while i do feel i can do alot of different things, i just can't do them good enough. Turtle gives me some tanking ability, but im nowhere near Alistar or Cho'Gath.
In phoenix i can do some decent aoe damage, but still fall short compared to Annie or Ryze.
While in bear form i can give CC but once again heroes like Veigar or Cho'Gath do this better.
In tiger form form i have good dps, but not remotely close to twitch or Yi.

The issue i have is that no matter how i play him, i just don't feel effective.

So, as Udyr, what is my role in the team? Im trying to understand and learn this champion, so give me the reasons why I would play him over the other mentioned heroes.
Any link to a guide would also be helpful.
Udyr is a Support/DPS, he excels at being the most versatile chars in the game, period.

However... be patient, wait for the next patch (next week AFAIK) and enjoy being imba... trust me Udyr went too far on the incomming patch. You'll be able to do anything :P

AFKray

01-12-2010

Udyr is broke as hell right now. His survivability is so good its laughable. Combine that with his excellent chasing ability via Bear and he's perhaps the most annoying hero to play against. The fact that they are buffing him boggles the mind.

Mpalm

01-12-2010

Buy a lifesteal item, solo mid, grab turtle stance, laugh as nobody can even harm you.

Animal Mother

01-12-2010

Bear + turtle sure gives him imba survivability early game (especially if you add summoner spells like ghost and cleanse, making you almost ungankable), but that tanking advantage fades away midgame, and it takes good farming to swiftly make the switch to dps.

Udyr does lack a clear role in the team. He can chase and stun fairly well, but having to be in melee range can make things hell for you. People recommend getting a few tank items to survive going in melee, but that gimps your damage output. I find it hard to balance both out.

Leobardis

01-12-2010

How is a melee champ that has a tremendous weakness to CC, low critical chance and completely reliant on his mana pool and stance dance skills IMBA?

Honestly, he is weak early game, decently strong mid game and only succeeds late game with skill and items.

Yes, he is able to get away from ganks with good shoes, bear and ghost, but that is his design.

You know, sort of like how ganking tryn is a bad idea mid/late game?

I play both Udyr and Singed a lot, and they function VERY similarly in their anti-gank abilities. Both are able to push a lane and escape, but bother cannot hugely help a team fight unless you are there first or are moping up at the end.

Ytinasni

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpalm View Post
Buy a lifesteal item, solo mid, grab turtle stance, laugh as nobody can even harm you.
Get to a high elo bracket, get harrassed to worthlessness by a ranged player that isnt braindead on 4 levels GG

That said, I think turtle shield is fine where it is, my build only grabs 3 ranks in it atm anyways.

BILL AND TEDS

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytinasni View Post
Get to a high elo bracket, get harrassed to worthlessness by a ranged player that isnt braindead on 4 levels GG

That said, I think turtle shield is fine where it is, my build only grabs 3 ranks in it atm anyways.
Actually he plays with high ranked people quite a bit.

You on the other hand, your name is not even the slightest bit familiar so I am willing to guess you aren't quite up there, champ.

PrawnWonton

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytinasni View Post

This. His shield is never really enough to do more than absorb an auto-attack or two. The longer the game, the less useful it is. I just like it for the mana regen.

OmniOblivion

01-12-2010

Udyr is an anti-melee champ. He is made to counter other melee as far as i can tell.