Question on Tanks and Team Comp.

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Polyrhythm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-11-2010

I saw a collection of videos from a pre-launch tournament of LoL. Both teams used a Malphite and Amumu tanks for their AoE control/survivability.

I was just wondering what sorts of comps (specifically tanks in said comps) are rolling people at the moment in competitive play. If anyone has any links to relevant videos, that would be great too.

Thanks. =D


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slide

Senior Member

01-12-2010

None. Sorry.

Both Malphite and Amumu were hit with serious nerfs both to their ults and in general because of how strong that combo was.

They are both still seen, but they dont roll faces like they used too.

The tanks that sees the most use right now is rammus. Mundo was getting popular untill people figured out that EC counters him HARD. There is a lot of talk about Alistar, but as a former Alistar player I can tell you he doesnt cut it. There is just something off. Nunu sees use, he is technically a tank though built for AP. A Road of Ages and banshees veil on him go quite well and can work out.

In any case if your looking for a tank to play, Id have to go with Rammus and Nunu right now. Kayle is seen as well, but I have mixed feelings about her. Her ult is great, and combos rediculously with some champions, but I find the rest of her skills lacking.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mpalm

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSLIDE View Post
None. Sorry.

Both Malphite and Amumu were hit with serious nerfs both to their ults and in general because of how strong that combo was.

They are both still seen, but they dont roll faces like they used too.

The tanks that sees the most use right now is rammus. Mundo was getting popular untill people figured out that EC counters him HARD. There is a lot of talk about Alistar, but as a former Alistar player I can tell you he doesnt cut it. There is just something off. Nunu sees use, he is technically a tank though built for AP. A Road of Ages and banshees veil on him go quite well and can work out.

In any case if your looking for a tank to play, Id have to go with Rammus and Nunu right now. Kayle is seen as well, but I have mixed feelings about her. Her ult is great, and combos rediculously with some champions, but I find the rest of her skills lacking.
Rammus... what?

Rammus is rarely used. Alistar is used in every game basically now, but Malphite is still very viable. Amumu is okay but was nerfed a bit too much.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slide

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Ive seen a lot more Rammuses in high ELO livestreams then I have Alistars.

I used to main Alistar and I dont find him all that effective. Id rather have a good Rammus on my team then a good Alistar.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mpalm

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSLIDE View Post
Ive seen a lot more Rammuses in high ELO livestreams then I have Alistars.

I used to main Alistar and I dont find him all that effective. Id rather have a good Rammus on my team then a good Alistar.
I see many more Alistars in high elo games that I play, and I think he is much better than Rammus.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

unentschieden

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Alistar "suffers" from the by far worst K/D/A ratios as he is powefull but pure support. Saving a Ally by punting a Carry away shows in no stat but it happens all the time. His effect on pushing Lanes is also very hard to mesure, espectially as itīs by healing your creeps instead of slaughtering theirs. He has probably the worst Damage out of all Champs, he needs competent Partners to be effective. He is both Bad but fortunately unreliant on lasthitting which is convenient for your Lanepartner.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Polyrhythm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

01-12-2010

Thanks much all. Is there a set of two specific tanks that have a powerful synergy? I have seen respectable arguments for both Alistar and Rammus, but I find Alistar relatively weak.

Any ideas?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrhythm View Post
Thanks much all. Is there a set of two specific tanks that have a powerful synergy? I have seen respectable arguments for both Alistar and Rammus, but I find Alistar relatively weak.

Any ideas?
Alistar + Blitz own pretty much any lane, if Blitz knows how to aim his grab.

Taric + any champ is always deadly.

Keep in mind, Rammus is getting a direct nerf next patch, because Taunt will be cleansable and also Merc Treads will effect it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JunkRamen

Senior Member

01-12-2010

Alistar is probably the most common tank atm because of his pushing power, survivability, and threat to anyone who gets near him.

Malph disappeared last patch but in this patch he is still high tier.

I don't know why people say Rammus is bad, he's one of the best tanks in the game thanks to him also having a good initiator, defense against burst and practically uncounterable Taunt that owns a lot of the high tier champs in the current meta.

Singed, Cho'gath, and Nasus are considered high tier too. Really the only terrible tank atm is Mundo.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slide

Senior Member

01-12-2010

I wouldnt call Nasus a tank. He can be built as one, hell he can even work as one, but nothing about him really screams tank.

Singed and Chogath, absolutely. In fact, I would like to revise my suggestion and go with ChoGath. As far as tanks go, I think Ive seen him have the largest effect on games. Not only is he a great tank, he lanes very well due to his passive and he has the tools to kill people very effectively. Lasltly, AoE Silence FTW.


12