Open Letter to Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

d3s4nN

01-18-2011

OK, here it goes:

While browsing the forum a few hours ago, I stumbled on an old thread that, back in the times of beta, was one of the -for me- most interesting. It conscerned the matter of competative gaming and LAN events.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=49165

The reason for me to write this post is the fact that, if you ask me, pretty much nothing changed since then. The general opinion was, that LAN events would be a huge benefit for the game and the experience, in small privat parties as much as in big tournaments. OK, if you got a good connection, you can 'host' practice games to play private 5v5 games on a LAN, which is true for let's say about 60-70% of the people playing LoL, but what about the other 30%? That's thousands of disappointed LAN and LoL lovers out there!
The reluctance on your (Riot's) side, to release a LAN client, or implement an offline feature in LoL poses two major problems. First, if and when someone, or a group of people REALLY good at coding set their mind on the task to 'pirate' LoL and create their own offline client, there's pretty much nothing you guys can do. Let's be all buisnes for a second here: up until now, no game, NONE AT ALL, have managed to -by whatever means, drm etc.- has managed to stay uncracked, unhacked and so on. The same thing WILL happen to LoL and when it's clear that it will happen, why not act preamptively? Would you rather have a sloppy (but probably still good) copy of your work, or will you enhance LoL even further, all by yourselves?

The second problem is the upcimng DotA 2. In all honesty, one of them main reasons why I started LoL is the -imho- unbareble delay in DotA (don't even get me started on LC, GHost ans on!). Don't get me wrong, I've since fallen in love with LoL, it has great features (everything around summoners, masteries, runes...), great looks and innovative ideas, like the introduction of AP to strengthen casters in late game, but when you get down to it, DotA is and will always be the mother of all MOBAs (or action-rpgs, whichever you like best). DotA 2 will have vastly improved user comfort. You will be able to -like in every 2nd generation ARPG- reconnect, match-making, 'lack of delay', improved graphics and so on.
When DotA 2 launches, the quesion at hand will be how many players Riot will be able to keep playing LoL. About every formerly DotA, now LoL player I know will at least give the game a try and since they will probably have to pay for it, they want just try it once and -IF they dont like it- throw it away immediatly and I'm pretty certain that this won't be the case.
Seriously, Icefrog, who works with valve on the project is a genious. What he managed to do with DotA is something you don't see every day. Actually, the only similiar case is counter strike and the guys who did that are now working together with icefrog, so basically you have the best game designers of the last few decades working on an immensly popular franchise, which is incidently -as sad as it is- a rival to LoL. YES, a rival. Which will, as I can say with a fair amount of certainty, HAVE a LAN mode. There you have it.

In the thread I mentioned at the start, the fact that LoL would lack somewhat in comparison to DotA and other big esport games was mentioned too, and I think that is what's happening now. I mean, sure, LoL is big fun etc. but is the competetive side on the same level as the formerly mentioned? Not really. Not only is it missing the LAN mode, it is also missing all the features that makes esport attractive for casual gamers. No replays, no spectators and so on. Every big esport franchise is pretty much BUILT on those features, and LoL doesn't even HAVE them? Somethings have gone awfully wrong here.

My first post (of not exactly many on the US forums, I'm from germany afterall, but well, apparently if you want to be heared by riot you have to 'make a riot' on the US forums!) on this board (coulda been europe too, long time) , which got me my beta key, was about the topic how to make LoL a great esport title. That post got big attention and applause, and allthough I think it was NOT by riot staff, I'm fairly certain that some of you saw it too. Eventually, none of the great ideas me and the others (I just won the key, there definetly was competition!) posted were implemented though, I dont even think there are similiar features in LoL. Why, I'm asking now!

To summarise all this in one sentence: I don't want to see LoL perish because of the reasons I listed.

I would very much appreciate a comment to the matter at hand by Riot.

PS: User comments are of course welcome too
PPS: I wasn't exactly sure about which forum I was supposed to start this topic in, any moderator who think's I got it wrong: please feel free to move the topic ;P

greetz d3s4nN

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Just one amendment: StarCraft II does NOT have a LAN mode anymore than LoL does. It has most of the other features, but since LAN is such a major part of your argument, I thought I might point it out.

Otherwise, I can pretty much fully agree with you. It sounds like DotA2 will blow LoL out of the water. I think there will be 2 things that will help save LoL: Ability Power (I assume that won't be in DotA2, but if it is, I guess this is a moot point) and out-of-game enhancements: the runes, masteries and Summoner Spells

d3s4nN

01-18-2011

I'm well aware of the fact that SC2 doesnt have a LAN mode... im guessing u mention it since it is SUPPOSED to be succesful still? well yeah, but what i heared from a buddy who plays sc2 (second hand knowledge) because of bnet bugs, some tournaments finals and semifinals pretty much didnt happen... like, at all.

The Masked One

01-18-2011

I agree with the offline/LAN argument. However, I don't think DotA 2 will kill LoL. It will surely hurt LoL's competitive community (and some of the more casual players, like me, might jump to DotA 2 too. That being said I'll probably still play LoL regardless, DotA and LoL both have a unique experience).

As for replays and a spectator mode, Riot are working on them (I hope), but I think that Magma Chamber is higher priority at the moment. Which sucks, because at the rate it's going at the moment we're going to be waiting a LONG time for this to come through (hopefully before the end of the year if the "expect the unexpected" thing has merit.

Cayllara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3s4nN View Post
I'm well aware of the fact that SC2 doesnt have a LAN mode... im guessing u mention it since it is SUPPOSED to be succesful still? well yeah, but what i heared from a buddy who plays sc2 (second hand knowledge) because of bnet bugs, some tournaments finals and semifinals pretty much didnt happen... like, at all.
Off topic:I used to play sc2 regularly including tournaments.(as well as sc1) Battlenet had a few bugs but most of the bad ones have been fixed. The only time there were truly game breaking bugs was during beta, all of the bugs after launch were not enough to disrupt an entire tournament.
Back on topic: I don't think we need lan. Why? The reason sc1 had lan was during that time quite a few rts's had poor server connections(if any at all) and an online game could involve quite a bit of waiting. Now we have very stable servers for both sc2 and LoL and the lan feature isn't really needed. Along with this you could exploit the game client easily if there was a lan feature. Ever heard of pacsteam? It's an excellent example.

d3s4nN

01-18-2011

Yes, I heard of PacSteam, which is one of the resasons why I can understand the reluctance to include a lan feature, but I'm still convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks. I mean, professional competitive gaming is, and has always been online games leading up to big LANS. ok, the big tournaments you could probably do online, there'll be enough sponsoring money to find a location with enough bandwidth, but smaller lans? think a few dozen players, or think about those lans you do with just a few buddys. i'm pretty sure you did those too. back in the time when we played dota, the most fun thing we could do was to somehow organize location to play 5v5 against each other over lan. honestly, I really miss those times. in theory this would be possible with Lol too... but for example at my place, the connection is barely good enough too support 3 guys playing at the same time, not to think of 10!
back on the exploit thing: it will happen, with or without lan. the only question is how long it will take.