Master yi build [wall of text] (need opinions, math people and feedback)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dogbiter

01-17-2011

WARNING: i didnt made this thread to search "how to build yi" but to make theorycraft with alternatives to the ghostblade build, and to know if its effective. or if there's something better compared to this, give a full explanation of why you think so, not something like: "omg i get all these items and pwn everyone hurr durr"

ok, so im trying to find a good yi build for this days and i really need feedback.

first, ive been using a build that's almost the same as pendragon's (boots, youmuus, wriggles, starks, IE, etc), however, i find that, with this build, yi is way too dependant of his ultimate. a few seconds to do something and good if you manage to score a kill so you can refresh your skills.

but, i feel that current champions have too much ways to kite yi and make his ult go CD. mainly, people with constant MS boosts, CCs, or ghost + CCs, etc. even with red buff, many things can kite yi. (like kennen, vlad, zilean)

so, trying to find a way to make yi less dependant of his few seconds burst, without dropping effectiveness (having in consideration that my principal job in teamfights is do the cleanup.

after thinking a little, im believing that youmuus ghosblade is probably too overrated on yi (this is what im not so sure about). analyzing it, it gives a not so big, but considerable amount of arpen, cd red, damage, and a nice active (pretty much the onl reason people get this item).

so i find myself comparing youmuus to some items i always tought they were bad to rush on yi and many champions...phantom dancer and trinity force.

the reason, i feel yi to be different towards PD compared to other champions like ashe. is because he has AD steroids. other champions dont have it, making them crit for nothing when they rush it as first item, not to mention that it allows faster movement in the map. allowing a better position for buffs control, solo pushing and backdoor

so comparing the stats between the three items:

they give comparable amounts of AS (phantom dancer brings more AS than youmuus active) MS (5% and 8% difference compared to youmuus), if we have in consideration that ms has diminishing returns. however, there's a big difference if we have in consideration that phantom dancer and TF MS and AS boosts are constant and sustained, something ive been trying to obtain, mainly because as a melee, you pretty much need alot of smart positioning, aside the problems from his ult dependance.

about TF, besides the AS and MS boosts, it also has a chance to slow, survivability, damage, and his proc effects, having in consideration how yi has 4 active skills, it must be somehow like AP yis with lichbane. i have poor feedback on how efficient TF is for yi. ive only seen it from a recorded stream of an EU 1800 player named "karalius".

managing the procs allowed him to mantain sustained and burst damage in situations where his ultimate was on CD. the only cons about this item is how expensive it is...4k. the good thing, is that TF is made from very cost efficient items that pretty much are good for yi (zeal and phage).

so, finally at how the item build could be, im pretty much thinking in this (for jungle yi)):

-cloth armor + pots, beginning at little golems.

-rush boots and wriggles for jungle and map control

-grab a zeal

-bf sword

-finish PD/IE

-finish IE/PD

-banshees veil

-randuins omen/atmas impaler------------->im pretty much thinking in what item i need most. randuins has hp + armor boosts with an anticarry active, while atmas has a little armor boost and the effect damage for hp, 2.6k with TF and BV as max hp for yi at level 18). cant really say whats better, so thats why im seeking math people and theorycrafters for this

-sell wriggles if you feel and buy a bloodthirster

or

-cloth armor + pots, beginning at little golems.

-rush boots and wriggles for jungle and map control

-grab a zeal

-phage

-finish TF

- IE

-banshees veil

-randuins omen/atmas impaler

ive tried the PD build, and ive had possitive results, better map control and overall better solo pushing in some situations where you have only a few seconds to hit a tower, compared to pendragons build.

- considerable teamfight presence.

havent tried the TF build yet.

going with lategame details about the stats:

yi can manage to reach 400+ AD with IE and bloodthirster and wuju active as his only AD items.

2.6k hp with banshees veil and TF HP boosts

so, i need opinions, math and theorycrafting and most important, feedback. now go

discuss

TLDR: there's none

dogbiter

01-17-2011

bump, need to know if its actually efficient or not, compared to youmuus builds

CrazyBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

On my master yi's. I run Wriggles, Boots of choice, Infinity edge. If they have a lot of armor then I get lastwhisper, If they have moderate armor then I get Youmuu's. If none then Phantom dancer. If i'm wrecking early on i'll get youmuu's first over infinity edge as the arpen plus the 24 from my runes makes me hit very hard early on. If they have a lot of cc I'll go wriggles youmuu's banshees.

xTerranDragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

I didn't have the time to read it, sorry, but you could add some bold titles here and there, to categorize ideas instead of the dreaded "wall of text".

dogbiter

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTerranDragon View Post
I didn't have the time to read it, sorry, but you could add some bold titles here and there, to categorize ideas instead of the dreaded "wall of text".
its not so much, and it has many paragraphs...

its a big text because it has alot of information/theorycrafting, you need to read it to understand

FireTemplar

01-17-2011

dorans first than boots of speed than warmogs atmas than blood thirster than warmogs than sell dorans for something else = gg yi havent lost a game with this build yet

SarenArterius

01-17-2011

1: Dorans ring + pot
2: 2 more dorans
3: aravice blade
4: boots
5: bf sword
6: IE
7: finish boots
8: finish Ghost blade
9: sell 1 dorans ring then get starks
10: situational, i reccomend getting banshees

dogbiter

01-17-2011

dudes, i dont want to be mean, but im seeking feedback about how usefull and efficient is this build, if there's a better one i want to know the reasons of why its better, not "OMG i get x, y, z items and i pwn"

im actually trying to prove that ghostblade is not so good (maybe, not sure), but i need feedback and mathcrafters

Minutemade

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiter View Post
dudes, i dont want to be mean, but im seeking feedback about how usefull and efficient is this build, if there's a better one i want to know the reasons of why its better, not "OMG i get x, y, z items and i pwn"

im actually trying to prove that ghostblade is not so good (maybe, not sure), but i need feedback and mathcrafters
you made you post way to long then...

dogbiter

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minutemade View Post
you made you post way to long then...
there's a reason of why it is long. if i wanted to knew how to build yi. ive just made one of those "hey people does someone knows how to build yi" threads, you know, those where everyone is downvoted to oblivion for some reason...