Why do Blitzcranks always get Trinity?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SamuraiPanda

01-11-2010

I simply do not understand why Trinity Force is so popular for Blitzcrank players. Trinity Force is a bad item in terms of stats because it isn't specialized enough, and the only reason anyone would get it is for the passive. Well, I've done the simple math over and over, but unless I'm doing something wrong (tell me if I am), then TRINITY FORCE DOES THE SAME ADDITIONAL DAMAGE AS SHEEN FOR THE POWER FIST.

Lets work through the math, shall we? According to Leaguecraft, Blitzcrank's base Attack Power at level 18 is 118.2, so I'll work with that. The following math is using Blitzcrank's Power Fist (" his next attack deal double his base attack damage") along with Sheen and Trinity Force.

No Items

Blitzcrank's Power Fist does double his BASE attack damage, so he does 118.2 x 2 = 236.4 damage per fist without any items.

Sheen - "Your next physical attack deals 100% extra base damage."

This passive is additive, so it means that it adds the extra damage on top of what you'd do. So:

(118.2 x 2) + 118.2 = 354.6 damage per fist

Trinity Force - "on cast, increases your base Attack Damage by 150% for one attack"

This passive is multiplicative, so that means your base attack damage is actually higher before you do the punch. Blitzcrank's new base attack damage with the passive is 118.2 x 1.5 = 177.3

So 177.3 x 2 = 354.6 damage per fist

Yes, thats right. Assuming the tooltips on both items is correct, SHEEN AND TRINITY FORCE DO THE SAME DAMAGE INCREASE TO BLITZCRANK'S POWER FIST. And increasing his damage doesn't help either, as both of these items and his power fist all use his baseattack damage (damage without +damage items). So why spend 4070g on an item that does as much as a 1260g item can do?

I don't know why other players haven't done these calculations before. Maybe I'm wrong (if I am then speak up), but Blitzcranks have always relied on the Trinity Force for all the wrong reasons.

Emrot

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiPanda View Post
I simply do not understand why Trinity Force is so popular for Blitzcrank players. Trinity Force is a bad item in terms of stats because it isn't specialized enough, and the only reason anyone would get it is for the passive. Well, I've done the simple math over and over, but unless I'm doing something wrong (tell me if I am), then TRINITY FORCE DOES THE SAME ADDITIONAL DAMAGE AS SHEEN FOR THE POWER FIST.No Items

Blitzcrank's Power Fist does double his BASE attack damage, so he does 118.2 x 2 = 236.4 damage per fist without any items.

Sheen - "Your next physical attack deals 100% extra base damage."

This passive is additive, so it means that it adds the extra damage on top of what you'd do. So:

(118.2 x 2) + 118.2 = 354.6 damage per fist

Trinity Force - "on cast, increases your base Attack Damage by 150% for one attack"

This passive is multiplicative, so that means your base attack damage is actually higher before you do the punch. Blitzcrank's new base attack damage with the passive is 118.2 x 1.5 = 177.3

So 177.3 x 2 = 354.6 damage per fist
Trinity force should be (118.2 * 2) + 118.2 * 1.5 = 413.7 damage per fist. It says it increases by 150%, which means 250% total, just like sheen increases by 100%, for 200% total.

Quote:
Yes, thats right. Assuming the tooltips on both items is correct, SHEEN AND TRINITY FORCE DO THE SAME DAMAGE INCREASE TO BLITZCRANK'S POWER FIST. And increasing his damage doesn't help either, as both of these items and his power fist all use his baseattack damage (damage without +damage items). So why spend 4070g on an item that does as much as a 1260g item can do?
Don't assume tooltips are correct

As far as why buy it.. Phage does a handy slow, which keeps them around for chained powerfists (especially with Overdrive keeping you near them). Zeal helps you keep near them, and helps you dish out damage to towers with its ias. I think Overdrive used to be multiplicative move speed, as well, so Zeal's movespeed worked really well on Blitz.

Anyways, since Phage is good on blitz and Zeal isn't too bad, plus Sheen is good.. why not build Trinity Force?

Khajja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2010

base x 1.5 = increase of 50%

base x 2.5 = increase of 150%

gg

blurrycloud

01-11-2010

trinity force helps with the movement speed as well for landing your hooks

EasymodeX

01-11-2010

Quote:
Blitzcrank's new base attack damage with the passive is 118.2 x 1.5 = 177.3
Really. I could have sworn that "increase by 150%" meant base * (1 + 150%) = base * 2.5 = pwnsausage.

Just sayin'.

Like everyone else.

Lulz~~

Ennbeard

01-11-2010

Pretty sure Trinity force is additive.

JunkRamen

01-11-2010

Quote:
Why do Blitzcranks always get Trinity?
Because Bait told them to.

I personally think TF is overpriced for the benefit on Blitz.

ZGBudai

01-11-2010

Generally it has everything Blitz wants. It doesn't have to be specialized, This is no longer DotA where everyone wants one specific stat and attribute.

Blitz doesn't really NEED anymore items then he already has. Trinity is a pretty good core item to solidify his mid game.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
Because Bait told them to.

I personally think TF is overpriced for the benefit on Blitz.
mea culpa.

Disdasdefa

01-11-2010

Lolumad @ some Blitz player?