Scrap it. 0 0%
Work on it more, then update it. 3 20.00%
Add parts to it to keep the story going. 7 46.67%
It's better that it remains a short story. Make a new story. 3 20.00%
Make a new story that is somewhat related to this one. 1 6.67%
Stop writing and play with me on LoL. (I play Garen and Karthus) 4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

The Origin of Dreadnaught Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kevindicator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2011

***Sorry for the initial typo, no idea what was going on in my mind to put naught in place of knight***

A slight figure slipped into the Demacian throne room, nearly invisible in the faint light. It was not unnoticed, though the guards relaxed slightly once they recognized it.

"Your Majesty," spoke Lux "Luxanna" Crownguard from bent knee, "I wanted to ask if you could possibly spare any detail about the status of the missing Demacian group lost last week in Noxian territory."

Jarvan III, the king, looked wearily at the bright girl whose magical glowing outshone the candles adorned in the room. "To what business do you need to know this, Luxanna?"

Lux reddened a bit, slightly flustered. "I was just...I mean...Your Majesty, Garen...uh...made a promise before he left. He said it was just a training exercise and he would be back within the day."

Jarvan attempted a smile, but it was hollow in light of the circumstances. "No, I'm afraid. The Noxians insist that they had nothing to do with...the disappearance. Our own clairvoyance casters can at least see that they speak the truth."

Lux narrowed her eyes slightly. "Yet the Noxians refuse to participate in a search?"

Jarvan held up his hand. "The Noxians care not for our affairs. They know we cannot search their cities, and the League will not set judgement without evidence."

Lux's face was set in stone, regaining her stiff composure. "I see. That is all, my king." She turned to go, walking stiffly toward the door.

The king noticed the atmosphere of the room dropped, though her presence still shone like pure sunlight. He called out to her. "Lux." She faltered in her step, then turned and bowed. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

He put his hand gently to his forehead, shading his eyes from view. "I'm sorry."

Lux straightened, with perfect Demacian posture. "No, Your Majesty. There is no fault bestowed upon your shoulder. Garen will turn up. I know it." And with that, she bowed once more and strode out of the throne. Had he not known her, he wouldn't have noticed the glisten of reflecting light at the corner of her eyes.

-------------------------------------------------

Far from the throne of Demacia, Garen stirred. His head pounded and the room seemed to be a blur of colors spinning in a neverending whirlwind. And just as quickly, everything snapped into brilliant focus. He was in a dark and slightly damp room, perhaps a cell. Faint light enamated from the crystals on the wall, illuminating the room in a similar manner to a candle.

He evaluated his room, and quickly noted he was stripped of his armor. His sword was nowhere in sight, and then he noticed the chains. His arms were shackled, the chains slack but allowing only enough movement to stand. Struggling to his feet, he allowed himself a moment to steady himself, then strained the shackles as far as he could, bringing his face to the cell door. He noted the lack of other prisoners in the dungeon, then to the pile of equipment on the table. His squadron's armor glinted in the crystal light.

The memories of his capture began drifting back. His small group were subdued frighteningly quick by some form of magic. These powerful casters had managed to snare him in place, but only after he had cut down half of his attacker. He had fought to the last drop of conciousness before dropping into the darkness of unconciousness.

His mind returned to the present as a captor entered his cell. The figure was a complete sillouette, magically preventing her from being seen. Something like Lux might do, he thought. The figure chuckled, her voice low and dangerous. Almost like the evil Katarina, but he knew it could not be her. She was not nearly as tall as the figure before him. "The great Garen Crownguard. True to his name, he represents the ferocity of Demacia." She drew out the name of his country as if saying some exquisite Yordle dish.

He couldn't recognize the voice. It felt as if he should know it, but it refused to be placed. He focused his mind on the voice, attempting to visualize something to trigger the locked memory. He started to visualize letters. L...and then it stopped there. The name contained an L somewhere, but he couldn't make heads or tails of it. The voice continued, "So interesting, the mental conditioning of Demacian soldiers. You managed to bend my magical mind block. Nearly had me worried. It wouldn't do for you to learn my name."

Her voice became magically compressed, her words sharp commands. "Garen Crownguard, submit to me." The words sunk in, but he refused to acknowledge them. "Never." He firmly stated. His mind closed like a clam, tight and unyielding. His mind filled with nothing but the Demacian anthem, and his oath of loyalty to the crown. She repeated her commands. "Submit Garen. You do not serve Demacia. Why else join the League? You serve yourself, the thrill of the battlefield. You seek an equal, and only because Katarina could match you and she joined the League. Submit to me, and I can give you power. Power you seek."

"I...No..." His mind became muddled with conflicting thoughts, as the rivers in his mind began to flood. The anthem in his mind began to echo, overlapping with itself until all he could hear was a cacaphony of nonsense.

The captor could see him, clearly tormented. "Whom do you serve?" She asked triumphantly.

"I serve..." Garen stated monotonously, "...My King. I serve Demacia, and I serve the justice Demacia represents."

Although he could not see her, he could tell her eyes were narrowing. "Then I see we will be here a while."

His face was unreadable, but his eyes burned with fierce intensity. "So be it."

------------------------------------------------

Almost two weeks after the Demacian group vanished, a group had challenged Demacia for the release of several Noxian prisoners. Though the group members were clearly not representing Noxus, they were treated as such. "Demacia will crush these Noxian supporters." Lux said venomously. Without Garen at her point, she added in thought. The Demacian team gathered at the summoning platform. As the summoner's established their mental connections, she noted Xin Zhao, Poppy, Ashe, and Annie join her. Not enough Demacian representatives, she thought. The preparation came to a close, and the warming light of the magical teleportation bathed the group as they were transported to the Field of Justice.

The opposing force was also transported at the same time, and it was only in transit could they see who they faced. Lux gasped. At the head of the opponent's group was Garen.

But Garen was not wearing his traditional armor. He wore a sinister black plating, with dark gray chainmail underneath. The gems embedded in his sword gleamed with Noxian purple, and his sword seemed beaten and worn. The tip of the sword was barbed, adding to the menacing look he had. Garen's eyes were cold, and he glared with a new intensity.

And then they arrived at the Summoner's Rift summon pool. The glittering lights of the magical healing in the pool masked the seriousness of the upcoming battle. Xin turned toward her, giving a sharp nod before rushing north. Ashe and Annie gave her comforting smiles, then diverted to center and southern lanes. Her summoner advised on which artifacts to select then guided her north, along the tracks that Xin had left.

When Lux arrived in the lane, her sight, aided by her summoner, allowed her to note Xin crouching in the brush. She followed him in, and moments later they rushed forward. In the opposing bush was Garen. He stood on the far end, but didn't budge.

Lux took the chance to attempt to reason with him. "Why, Garen? Why have you abandoned Demacia? Have you forgotten the oath you swore?" She pleaded.

He made no reaction, standing like a statue. The same glare from before seemed to slice through her. Lux made one more attempt. "Do you not remember when we were children? You swore never to break any more promises!"

Again, Garen didn't respond. If it were possible, it seemed as if he were even colder than before. "I'm sorry Garen. If you have forgotten Demacia, then I must forget you." Lux said sadly.

His sword gleamed for a second, then abruptly ran at them with startling speed. He struck Xin a glancing blow, magically silencing him. Xin attempted to swing his spear in retaliation at Garen, but Garen had already fled. After noticing that chasing Garen was futile, Xin returned and attempted to comfort Lux, but she drew upon her strength to hold back her tears and followed her minion wave to fight.

--------------------------------------------------

The fight was long and drawn out. In the end, Garen outmatched Xin and Lux, but Garen's team crumbled underneath the flawless teamwork of the Demacians. The Demacians slammed into their defences, downing each turret systematically and efficiently. For her own credit, Lux held nothing back, even blasting Garen with her Finales Funkeln at point-blank. The enemy summoners cast their surrender votes after thirty minutes of the massacre, with only one voting against.

Magic once again bathed the teams, and they were transported back to the Institute. Lux wearily walked off the summoning platform. She wasn't scheduled for another match until later that evening. She moved to the door of the courtyard, only to walk into Garen. Opposing summoner platforms were placed at opposite ends of the Institute of War, and it was nearly impossible to get from one to the other without teleportational magic.

Garen's surprising arrival made the Demacians tense, as Annie and Ashe curiously looked on at the development. After a few tense moments, they realized Garen was different. This Garen was pale, and clearly using all his strength to stand. He was wearing basic Demacian recruit armor, and his sword was of standard issue. Garen stumbled toward Lux, whispering, "I told you I never break promises," before collapsing to his knees.

Garen was sent to the League infirmiry. After a quick patch-up with the healers and a hot meal, Garen began to unfold his story. He endured the past two weeks, tortured with mental magic. In order to try and break him, he was fed minimally, but his strength never wavered. Garen told of the captor's attempt to convince him to recind his oath, bringing quick glances between the Demacian delegates.

Whoever interrogating him was clearly upset, and brought all her casters to help with a massive spell.
He was moved to another room, where his arms were bound behind him. He was forced to kneel upon a large engraving of some type of rune. The spell they cast on him brought massive pain, as if he were being torn apart and stretched beyond limits. At this point, Garen had blacked out, but not before catching a glimpse of his own face as if staring into a mirror.

When he woke, he was lying on the cold floor. Using every reserve of strength he had, he ripped through the thin leather binding his arms. Weeks with little movement had caused his legs to get severly weakened. Struggling to his feet, he had searched in vain for his equipment. Garen was forced to take the armor and sword that was stripped from his lost division. After steadying himself under the new weight of his equipment, he quickly stormed out of the hidden base. He found himself in a rocky outcrop with no recognition of anything nearby. Garen was forced to follow the Northern Constellation until he recognized the landscape enough to get back to Demacia.

----------------------------------------------------

The information Garen brought them was startling. Already, League investigators were dispatched to search for the hidden base. It took some time, and they had to asked Corki to aid in an aerial search, but they discovered the base after a couple days. Upon exploration, they concluded the base had been abandoned. However, a dead rose lay inside one of the cell. The group that had challenged Demacia had gone unnamed, and the summoners who participated in the match were nowhere to be found.

Investigators had stumbled into Teemo, who had been frightened by the duplicate Garen. After managing to calm him down, he revealed that the Dreadknight Garen had crumbled to dust in front of him. This left nothing for the League officials to work on. The League insisted they would find them, but all participants seemed to vanish into thin air, as if they never existed.

All except the mysterious armor and sword, discovered in the summoning armory a few days later by a confused Jax. Garen knew that he would wear the Dreadknight armor, as many of the most influencial and prosperous summoners would find it intimidating. He would never admit that the surge of power he felt when others feared him gave him any sense of joy.

SethCypher

01-17-2011

Is this just a oneshot? Because I seriously loved the dark tone you placed in this piece.

Birdy51

01-17-2011

I enjoyed reading it. ^.^

ipleadthefif208

01-17-2011

very good.... but i don't appreciate you depicting Noxus so poorly
thumbs up for the story still
-Isildur Noxian Adviser and Speaker

Kevindicator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipleadthefif208 View Post
very good.... but i don't appreciate you depicting Noxus so poorly
I did not mean to offend Noxus in any way. This tale is simply the Demacian point of view of Noxus, which, as all summoners may know, is very biased against the Noxians. Also note that Noxus has very little to do with the capture of Garen.

Kevindicator

Recruiter

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
Is this just a oneshot? Because I seriously loved the dark tone you placed in this piece.
Hmmmm. I never intended to write more on the subject matter. After all, it's just one epic-looking skin. I might decide to do more, depending if anything comes to mind. I don't intend this to be a series of chronicles though. Although now that I think about it, I could write related tales based on this mysterious group, though I'm sure many people could take a stab at it.

Kahzel

01-17-2011

We all know that Garen was magically teleported to the Wrath Gate, and now is under service of the Lich King.

TRLOLOLOLOLO

aside from the joke, great story.

Redframe

01-19-2011

Not bad.

Kevindicator

Recruiter

01-21-2011

I'm torn between coming up with another story about past developments, like going deeper into champion's lore, or doing stories based on the current situation, like the rise of the Black Rose. Any ideas?

SethCypher

01-21-2011

Don't ask us, we're not writers.