Riot Employee Behavior

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrDragun

01-17-2011

Stupid internet lynch mob. In 3 days we would have forgotten this whole incident.

Usually you at least get 1 reprimand talk with the boss before firing but I guess this incident was pretty severe. He should not be banning people from games he's playing in and trash talking.

Hahke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

I feel bad for the guy to lose his job, as you should with anybody losing their job. However, I don't think he really crossed the line until he used the racial slur and tried to act as if he was higher than the players. He was trying to get them to leave him alone. A slap on the wrist before that point would have been more acceptable, but when you brought race into it you crossed the line. Riot has showed it's not acceptable from a company of their standards and I commend them on that.

Yes, he overreacted a bit and banned the player in question. He should have just warned the player unless he has had other reports that were similar to this.

I'm sorry, but the players in question all were acting out. In fact, if I was in a game with those players I probably would have sent reports in on them as well. When the guy came to the forums to get the attention on the matter, I do believe that was important. But, to try and come off as if he was completely innocent is also ridiculous.

If you're flaming your teammates CONSTANTLY throughout the game how can you not expect to get reported? I dont care if that's how players act at higher elos, it's still not acceptable behavior at all. This is an example if there was a tribunal system in place in which any of the players that were harassing him all game would have and deserved to get a 'punish'. He himself would get a 'punish' alone just for racial slur.

TLDR: Situations like this really tear the community apart and really you have to look at it from a neutral stand point. It wasn't acceptable behavior by ANY of the players in question in the game.

Pawnce

01-17-2011

The only way I would find this more amusing is if the original ppixxx whatever guy also ended up perma banned. Oh well. One for two. Can't get 'em all. :P

Gatsbys America

01-17-2011

Too far. I mean, it would have been easy to just make him a new screen name and let him keep his job, let all the bad press go away. The whole forums were extremely biased sheep, but hell, what else to you expect on the internet.

Mooney Boo

01-17-2011

@People saying too far

Think of a customer in KFC and the employee arguing about ordering popcorn chicken. The employee thinks the customer ordered popcorn chicken but employee heard it something else. So, the customer calls him ****. Now, usually the employee will say some sht like "Mam, You can talk to my manager" or "Please refrain from using profanity." Instead, the employee goes out saying "U dumb ****er ****, you're banned from KFC for 1 month!"

Kurosaki00

01-17-2011

The decision was harsh yes
but Riot is a company that sells and shares a product
if you have ever worked in something similar you know the basics
you first "sell yourself", then you sell the product/service
Therefor is very, very important to have a good face with the community/clients.

You can look it this way too
Did he really appreciate the job in the best way?
When I feel thankful for an opportunity im the happiest guy on earth, usually people react like that.
If you are given an opportunity (specially working for a game developing company!) do you really react like that?

Another way to look at this
Having acted the way he did, does he really deserves the position more than perhaps some other people Riot interviewed for the position? Does he really deserves conserving this position against perhaps people who would literally cry if hired by a company like Riot and think of this like a "dream" ?

Ask anyone in a real complex company about such behavior and the answer will be the same as riot, some even worse! Depending on the company they could face legal repercussions!

No matter how you look at it, if you make a thread asking Who would like to work for Riot?
There will be hundreds if not thousands of answers of people just dreaming about such an opportunity.
So not only he disrespected Riot, he violated the company ethics, common sense ethics and he disrespected the hundred of people that would love to be in his shoes.
It may sounds cheesy but "with power there comes responsibility".

srry for long text

Shad Grimgravy

01-17-2011

Wow, this guys life probably got ruined over a game. I hope you're all happy.

Meta3wto Braki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

To those of you who are saying the punishment was hard, put yourselves in RIOT's shoes for just a minute and think about it!
The guy comes in, excited to work and he loses his temper while still at internship and bans a player for A MONTH over it.
So if you were an employer, how would you feel about an employee who majorly ****s up on his first day at job?
I mean.... the thread about Psyonichero had more views than the excessive trolling thread and that has been sticked in front page for almost a year now! :/
Personally I would have fired him the instant he said "Shen is the worst tank" in a 1600+ ELO game...

kaasmi

01-17-2011

how long did he work for RIOT? were all nerds, im sure every single one of us has raged. sure, we try not to, but it happens. firing the poor guy from a job he most likely was super excited to have seems like a little much, but i have no idea what he did. i am not an avid forumer :<

oh, i see, still an intern AND a month long ban. ignore everything above!

The 0ne and 0nly

01-17-2011

wowow just wowow