Riot Employee Behavior

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corcupine

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Don't think he should of been fired, if people got fired for **** like that I doubt more then half of the people would be fired. He is a competitive player, I do the same to people, I don't give a ****, if you play bad, you're bad simple as that. Just because he is a Riot employee doesn't mean **** and the guy who was "I'm gonna report you btw" is a little *****. God, people are such little pansies its unbelievable, I would of called them much, much worse things.
Ok, and you would have been fired too. I can't believe how juvenile people are.

You pull **** like this, in any job, and you get fired. Especially an intern.

Set Tesh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoransTroll View Post
This should shut up all those "Riot doesn't care" whine..forever.
your name...... is so..... awesome... but as a side effect i can no longer trust anything you say
:P

TapiocaBall

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Foot View Post
The only real expectation of a person in a CSR position is to not be rude to the customers. I mean, seriously, that is the paramount expectation. If a person cannot handle doing the one singular thing they're expected to do in a job, they're not right for the position.

It would be like having a fry-cook that refused to cook.
Well he was rude while at home and probably drunk. It was silly but keep in mind he was a jaded gamer beforehand. It is unfortunate that he had power of authority at the time but I don't want to see him lose his entire career and all that was built up to it over this.

Again, no one is saying he didn't screw up, but I would have maybe suspended him and made him take anger management, not terminate his career.

Lolily

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2011

People saying, omg so mean give him 2nd chances!!!111 but real life doesn't work like that. The company you work for has expectations. Why should they give you a second chance on something you knowingly screwed up on, and dismiss thousands of other possible applicants because of that behavior? You set an image for what you work for. If you were a boss at a company and one employee insulted a customer, would you honestly pat him on the back and go, "That's okay, everyone makes mistakes. Just don't do it again." If you were the customer insulted, would you be happy to see the employee get off scot free?

I personally feel Riot made the right decision, and this is compounded by the fact he was an intern, too..you just don't do things like that as an intern.

Florestan

01-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapiocaBall View Post
Him working in a pizzeria doesn't really change him standing to lose a career.
no, my take on this is the following:

after being moderately successful as a SC1 commentator, he tried to go pro-gamer with the advent of SC2.

Quote:
“Since beta has come out, I’ve only gotten four to five hours of sleep a night,” says Schultz. “I am currently a pizza delivery man for Mafia Mike’s Pizza. I’m also trying to get Machine a job there as well. It’s just minimum wage pay but people tip good out here and I only work five to seven hours a day. Leaves more time for gaming.”
He sacrifices RL in order to play SC2 but things don't work out the way he had hoped for - the skill gap between him and the EG members he lives and occasionally trains with is just too large and other than giving a few gosucoaching lessons (however, afaik he never was on their main coaching staff, he did however do the video recording of gosucamp) not much of value results from his dedication to SC2.

In September he is very happy to have found a new job at Wal-Mart (also in September: massive gosucoaching drama on teamliquid - they had taken payments in advance but had problems delivering the lessons as promised), while in October he complains about having to work two jobs.

In November he has his job interview with RIOT.

Without knowing more than public information I would conclude that in fall he realized that SC2 would not work out and that working in unskilled jobs for the rest of his life would not be that attractive.

He had probably met Phreak again at WCG 2010 in September (they know each other, both were at WCG, Phreak certainly was eager to show off LoL -- would be strange if they hadn't talked) and maybe had received some sort of unofficial offer to join RIOT or work with them in one form or another (PsyonicReaver had at least more notoriety than milkfat whom RIOT decided to work with at WCG, too).

He took a gamble on SC2 and the job at RIOT was the closest to a backup plan he could come up with. I wouldn't like to be in his situation at all right now.

again: this is just my interpretation based on what I recall reading on teamliquid.net and could find on the web.

edit: and last but not least - people really should be careful what personal information they disclose in interviews, blogs, forums, social networks, ...

oulush

01-18-2011

What an unforgiving society this is! A young man makes a mistake, and yet we do not know how to forgive. This society turns every one of us into egoistical, narcissistic *******s, where we think we can get away with everything we do and say, and yet we realize once when we are smacked upside down, that there is nothing special about ourselves.
Yet we destroyed a young mans dreams, his excitement, because we have no tolerance for people that we deem as weak. We claim for him to have acted in manners that were racist, yet our ignorance for the possibility of an individual making a mistake is seen as something normal, while in reality is discriminatory in itself.
Once more, a company is valued above an individual.
Perhaps someday we'll learn, what it is to be able to forgive,

(and no I am not a religious person)

Brick Stick

01-18-2011

Harsh, but way to set a precedent and show the community you care. Riot seems to be doing some really good things game/patch/community-wise.

Need a Marketing Strategy Director?

Fisty McBEEPB00P

01-18-2011

Eh. everyone makes mistakes. idk what he did but firing him might have been a little extreme

GreGnG

01-18-2011

gj riot

ImCuddly

01-18-2011

o no! Riot games has a rival now. Watch out!