Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mercury treads? When and when not to?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hz0ijXGF8qeI0CRT

01-11-2010

I use Mobilityboots on Blitzcrank sometimes.. 'cause you ain't gonna get away from me! no you ain't!
Ghost + Overdrive + Mobilityboots = VROOOOOOOOOM. Then I hook you, and you die from my teammates.

And if I get stunned in the middle of a teamfight. Its ok.. I'm prolly the tank, and I love all the attention that I can get. If I'm in the middle of the battle, I'm not going anywhere anyway.

Viro Melchior

Recruiter

01-11-2010

Quote:
EU Quick Ben:
I use Mobilityboots on Blitzcrank sometimes.. 'cause you ain't gonna get away from me! no you ain't!
Ghost + Overdrive + Mobilityboots = VROOOOOOOOOM. Then I hook you, and you die from my teammates.

And if I get stunned in the middle of a teamfight. Its ok.. I'm prolly the tank, and I love all the attention that I can get. If I'm in the middle of the battle, I'm not going anywhere anyway.

This.

I rarely get mercury when I'm playing a tank unless the enemy is heavy magic damage. For amumu I love the ninja tabi or sorc boots. With chogath I like sorc boots (AP chogath rules). Your point as a tank is to GET the attention. If they are wasting stuns on you, all the better. The only time that the mercury make enough difference on a tank is in the extreme cases. I'd rather run cleanse to remove it entirely, and pick up more powerful boots. The tabi is awesome against physical dps which is quite common, sorc boots boost ap-based tanks, and swiftness is always a decent option.

For any carry though, I am using mercury more and more. Except twitch. He dies too fast anyway. He wants banshee's veil to avoid it completely, cuz even a 1 second stun can ruin his day. So might as well focus other choices on saving him from stuns, and glass-cannon him to hell.

mege

01-11-2010

I think it's 100% situational. But I tend to defer to Mercury if there are enough snares/disables floating around (regardless of character I am playing). It is a hard choice, though, when there is a lot of non (significantly) spell-damaging characters with stuns and snares and the Magic Resist is more or less wasted (like against Jax, Scion, Trynd, etc).

Another bit of theory I use when picking boots: instead of getting ninja tabi (unless I'm stacking dodge like on Jax, or an HP tank against a lot of physical carries) I generally get Berzerker Greaves to kill faster in a head-to-head situation. I follow this mindset with heroes like Tryst and Yi. Again, there are extreme examples where this doesn't work - but that's the general thought.

Synxxx

01-11-2010

Quote:
mege:
I think it's 100% situational. But I tend to defer to Mercury if there are enough snares/disables floating around (regardless of character I am playing). It is a hard choice, though, when there is a lot of non (significantly) spell-damaging characters with stuns and snares and the Magic Resist is more or less wasted (like against Jax, Scion, Trynd, etc).

Spell resist is wasted against Scion? What? No.

Bait

Recruiter

01-11-2010

Quote:
Milskidasith:
Mercury Treads are not useful if the enemy team does not have a lot of stuns/slows/snares/all the other various things that each individual caster has that are slightly different versions of stuns. If the enemy team only has a few slows that aren't really character focuses, go with something else (either boots that help with your characters goal, or boots of swiftness).

The real question I have is who would ever buy boots of mobility?

basically, you don't get mercury treads if your opponents suck.

merc treads are the standard boots basically. but many physical carries often use berserker boots and mage carries often use sorc boots. tanks sometimes use ninja tabi if they don't care about enemy cc.

the choices depends on the situation.
example:
if you are a mage:
if your opponents have low magic resist (such as getting berserker boots instead of mercury treads), then you may use sorceror boots to take advantage of their low magic resist.

if your opponents do get high magic resist, then you just get mercury treads.

Krosan

01-11-2010

I like to get them on Alistair. It may be a bit weird but I find it helps out a lot when it comes to getting to the fights; his pathetic movement speed needs the help. I may try out berserker's greaves or something later, though. Maybe? *shrug*

K J

01-11-2010

Boots of Mobility + Rammus = pwnage