Mercury treads? When and when not to?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KaMiKaZePiG

01-10-2010

My friend basically is in love with Mercury treads now and regardless of characters/matchups yells at me to get them in every situation.

Is this mostly true? (I usually play Malphite, Fiddle, corki or jax)

Milskidasith

01-10-2010

Mercury Treads are not useful if the enemy team does not have a lot of stuns/slows/snares/all the other various things that each individual caster has that are slightly different versions of stuns. If the enemy team only has a few slows that aren't really character focuses, go with something else (either boots that help with your characters goal, or boots of swiftness).

The real question I have is who would ever buy boots of mobility?

WhitemageofDOOM

01-10-2010

It is usually the right choice, but not always.

ZGBudai

01-10-2010

Fiddle - Sorc Shoes
Corki - Highly depends on the Enemy Line-Up
Malphite - I do, but Swiftness works too
Jax - I get Tabi, but Merc works well against a Caster heavy Line-up

Dr Niles Aquatic

01-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
The real question I have is who would ever buy boots of mobility?
Boots of Mobility are incredibly useful for characters who spend a lot of time moving across the map and need more than Teleport alone can offer. Gank hunters like Evelyn and Kassadin make excellent use of them as they travel from lane to lane, and certain support characters such as Zilean can use them to fly around the map at top speed to assist allies.

Milskidasith

01-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Niles Aquatic View Post
Boots of Mobility are incredibly useful for characters who spend a lot of time moving across the map and need more than Teleport alone can offer. Gank hunters like Evelyn and Kassadin make excellent use of them as they travel from lane to lane, and certain support characters such as Zilean can use them to fly around the map at top speed to assist allies.
I always find if you have to move that much that you can just teleport, and that the extra combat bonuses of the other boots outweighs the (admittedly large) boost you get to speed from boots of mobility.

ZGBudai

01-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
I always find if you have to move that much that you can just teleport, and that the extra combat bonuses of the other boots outweighs the (admittedly large) boost you get to speed from boots of mobility.
I use Boots of Mobility on Zilean... and that's pretty much it.

Ennbeard

01-10-2010

I've used Boots of mobility on Pirate before just because I wanted to go silly fast. In a serious match I usually end up going sorc shoes or zerker greaves. as he has Clear Scurvy for any stuns... and if they have multiple stuns, well, boots won't save you.

On another note,

I'mma get a few friends and (Not in a serious match) Try to see how high I can get a character to go. Pirate + Boots of mobility + Sivir Ult + Boost Morale + Zileans time speed thing + Janna's tailwind = ?

ZGBudai

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroN7 View Post
I've used Boots of mobility on Pirate before just because I wanted to go silly fast. In a serious match I usually end up going sorc shoes or zerker greaves. as he has Clear Scurvy for any stuns... and if they have multiple stuns, well, boots won't save you.

On another note,

I'mma get a few friends and (Not in a serious match) Try to see how high I can get a character to go. Pirate + Boots of mobility + Sivir Ult + Boost Morale + Zileans time speed thing + Janna's tailwind = ?
I think the max speed is 550... not sure?

Edit: Nevermind, DotA knowledge is carrying over into my sub-conscious.

Synxxx

01-11-2010

If I'm playing a Mage, or if the other team has any of the champs listed below, I get mercury.

Ashe
Teemo
Malphite

Other than that, unless they're just filled to the brim with CC; I'll get zerk boots/mobility.