A (mostly) comprehensive guide to laning.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jnagel

01-26-2010

I'm pretty new to this, and I'm not very good. A friend of mine referred me to this guide, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed. This is very good information and it's extremely helpful. Based on your guide, there are a lot of techniques I can and will pick up that my friends couldn't very well teach me through explanation. So for that, I thank you. Onto my second query, I noticed that you bring up Tryndamere a lot, and that most of the information you give on him seems to be cast in a negative light. I also noted that the commenter previous me is a big fan of Tryndamere. I created a thread asking people for some advice on him and how to play him, as I purchased him recently and feel like he can be pretty darn good. Comment on my thread or respond here, or create a new thread entirely if it pleases you. All the same, thank you for your guide and keep up the good work.

BuckBanzai

03-05-2010

Great start on this very important guide for newbies.

I would suggest you add some thoughts about these things:

Laning purpose - the purpose of laning is to collect gold and XP. If you leave your lane, the minions will still fight but all of the gold/xp will be lost. Also, the goal is to keep your tower alive - outer turrets are less important than inner turrets. Map control - the more towers you have, the more safe spots you have. You mentioned not stunning/etc. minions. this can't be overstated - I often see players using up all of their mana pushing the minion battle to the other guy's tower and then having to retreat due to no mana or no abilities available. Let the battle come to you - if you're ashe, don't spam volley. You're also judging the skills of the enemy. If you see TF pull gold cards (probably not as critical now) every time, or if blitz nails the grab/punch/shock/ignite/exhaust combo effectively - tell your team. And conversely, if an enemy doesn't have the abilities down let others know.

Phases of the Game:
Early Laning (just like you said, 2, 1, 2 heroes per lane)
First ganks (what to watch out for while you're laning) MIAs in your lane, MIAs in other lanes, how / when to help, when to turtle, when to go for buffs/neutrals
Midgame Laning (After one or more towers are down)
Late Laning (cleaning up a lane) Laning late game can bring in a ton of gold, but the enemy knows where you're at

Lanes:
Mid lane == map control
Location of buffs/neutrals is important and should sway lane choice for top/bottom lanes.
Location of dragon is important - if you have smite, life steal, etc. and can take the dragon early, bottom is your lane.

Also
Calling for a lane switch - it's ok to do, and better to do before you've fed the other team too much
Jungling and its impact to Laning
How important it is to put pressure on a lane when you have two heroes and you're fighting against one.
Lane Tactics -
* playing possum (hug tower, don't heal/clarity, wait for cooldowns, maybe even start blue pilling, then spring for kill)
* setting up a gank
* communication - agree what pinging the map or a champion means
* you hit some of this but there are a lot of specific things teams do to kill you regardless of the hero. For example, retreating to your tower is only ok against squishy champs. Tanks will dive in, ranged / quick heroes can go around your tower.

Dahras

03-05-2010

A good way to think of over extension is in terms of leverage and information. Before the 1st tower is down, when you hug the enemy's tower, they are always closest to safety as possible, and you are always the farthest away from safety as you can possibly be. In addition, you cannot see what is going on on the other side of the river, so the enemy can come up from behind you and make you go towards them and then away from them before you escape, giving them the maximum amount of time to kill you.

Also, you can be overextended in health and mana as well. If you have 25-50% health, you should NEVER cross the river unless you just killed two enemies and there are no MIA's or something like that. If you have <15% health, BP... you are begging the enemy to kill you. Likewise, if you are
Veigar or a Kass or any other character who depends heavily on mana for damage/survivabillity/farming, and you have no mana at all, you should be about as cautious as you would be with 25-50% health, and should probably consider BP'ing.

Delinphius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2010

I'm a an experienced LoL player and i have some tips on laning pushing ETC.
1.Be cuatious of your enemy when they hit lvl 6. This is whne the first skill level of every champions ultimate opens and most focus on doing damage. Ultimates at low levels you really want to look out for are:
Requiem: Karthus' ultimate attacks every enemy champion and is quite powerful. It may be a good idea to bluepill more to survive it because it can hurt especially on squishy characters.
Trueshot Barrage: Ezreals ultimate has the highest damage of every ultimate and has a 1:1 ap ratio. Ezreal can hit you from nearly anywhere on the map as it can travel through walls. If you see a gold crescent coming near you run!
Undying Rage: Look out for tryd using his ult becuase he gains bloodlust stacks which make even harder to kill and will most likley kill you. (very important if your being a squishy character)
2. Good Mid laners (other then characters already mentioned)are:
Tristanna: She has the best range on the game and has high raw damage output.
Twitch: Sounds crazy but Twitch is good at mid and is good at amking people tower hug(its the stealth hint hint)
Ezreal: Has very good range on his skill shots can teleport while attacking together and his ultimate massacres other soloers.
3. Cleanse+Flash+teleport saves lives

Yndyr

05-07-2010

Excellent guide for new players. I've never played DotA and definitely could have used most, if not all of the information here.

RaveSage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2011

The part about overextending was really insightful! too many times I thought "There's a bad feeling about this." and I was usually right. Now I understand why.

Really good guide.

M0rD0r

01-26-2011

I have played over 1000 games and I think I learned more reading the forums this morning than I have learned in months. I could use some good friends/teammates in game so if you see me and are willing to help me learn more, feel free to friend me. I am M0rD0r as my main and M0rD0r 2 thru 6 as my practice/smurf accounts.
Thanks for all the insights.

Superdadd

01-26-2011

Three comments:

1) You mention 1 mid, 2 bot, 2 top. No jungler? 90% of games have a jungler, and it's actually 1 top, 1 mid and 2 bot. Also, the biggest carries should be top, for two reasons. Top lane can stay and lane for longer. Bottom lane constantly has people going to kill dragon, then coming to your lane to gank you. Second, staying bottom lane for too long means that the other team can almost guarantee a baron kill. So, if you are a big carry (trynd, nasus, ashe, trist, mf, twitch, etc), then you should try to get top lane and farm there as long as the other team allows it.

2) Last hitting under your tower. I am going to bold and underline this for emphasis. This is the single biggest skill in the laning phase in my opinion.

Being able to last hit the entire wave while under your tower is the biggest thing that will improve your game. Anyone can last-hit minions while in the open, but being able to do it under your tower takes practice.

Tips:
Earlygame,

a) melee minions will get hit by tower twice then have a sliver of hp remaining. Let your tower hit it twice, then last hit it yourself. Obviosuly modify your timing if your minions are wailing on it as well.
b) Ranged minions will take 1 tower hit and have around 100 hp left. This means if you are someone like Yi or Sion with a skill that pumps your AD, you can let the tower hit it first then last hit it. However if your AD is in the range of 70 (like most are), then you actually want to hit the mob once, then let your tower hit it, then last-hit the mob.

Knowing these timings have a HUGE impact on your early game farming.

I can hold a lane 1v2 and last-hit 90% of the mobs while under my tower with just about any hero. That is so unbelievably valuable of a skill to learn that I cannot stress it enough. Practice this in custom games against the AI to get good at it.

3) Early early game (levels 1-3) should be entirely about last hitting minions. If you are trying for FB at this point, you are probably wrong (the only exception is the first pre-wave encounter, where there is value in making someone blue-pill).

Aside from that, your focus should be last hitting only. Now if you are good enough to be able to harass the opposition while STILL last hitting 90+% of the mobs, go ahead and do it. However, do not, ever, I stress, EVER miss last hits at levels 1-3 just so you can harass the opponent.

In my mind, the biggest thing that differentiates a good player from a truly great player is the amount of CS he has before he hits level 5. That has such a profound impact to the rest of the game. Snowball effect, etc.

The difference between being able to bluepill for 2-3k gold worth of items on your first trip back instead of for just 1k worth of items has more of an impact in this game than anything else in my opinion.

Learn to last hit. Focus on last hitting until at least level 5. Learn to last hit under your tower. If you can truly master all of those, only THEN attempt to harass opponents.

Natrii

01-26-2011

As far as Harassment goes. Janna is my favorite Hands down. I typically lane with a tank or our carry, keeping him shielded, but for the most part harassing the other team. Janna's auto attack is ranged, and hits for a decent amount, early game it will push them back to their tower pretty fast. Keeping your Gale at level 1 for as long as possible is great. It will have a low mana cost and its harassment value is amazing

Gale, is long range skill shotish. It is great for sniping at Champions hugging their towers to safely last hit. Knock the into the air from far range, safe from the tower...whats more the tower gets the last hits when you time it right.

Her Bubble is great for tower diving and getting you out of trouble if you over extend. Not to mention a physical Champion's best friend.

Oh and lastly for Laning with her...creating uses of her ultimate. I love pushing people into my tower :P

Way2co0l

02-03-2011

Not trying to bash your opinions but I do think Morgana actually makes a very capable mid solo character.

I've found that most of my enemies underestimate the range for my snare skill, and a few well placed tormented soils are simply amazing at harassing an enemies health down as they attempt to last hit while effectively getting a ton of last hits yourself. The best thing is that once you get your ult then if you can bait them into following you under the assumption that you're weak, then it's very easy to hit them with it, drop a tormented soil and snare them to keep them in range while your ult does it's work. When the snare wears off, they'll usually take off running to get away from your ult, but then you only have to give chase for a second or two before your ult stuns them and the cooldown for your next snare and tormented soil is nearly done for you to finish him off easy. I simply love playing Morgana middle.