Sooooooooo, AP Shaco.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarbunkleFlux

01-31-2011

Been playing with this build lately and enjoying the playstyle, but there are glaring weaknesses (like my earlygame is usually pretty ineffective; I survive in lane and all, but I can't harrass and mana is very limited) and I think my core could probably be better. Can anyone who still bothers going AP Shaco give some feedback on this build and possibly suggest other items to use?

I'm aware AD Shaco is probably better overall right now, but that's not the point of this thread.

My runes look like:
MPen Red
MP5 Yellow
CDR Blue

My current core build is:
-Shurelya's Reverie (HP, CDR, movespeed active)
-CDR Boots
-Void Staff
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Sheen/Lich Bane (The Sheen is built very early, but the Lich Bane rarely gets finished in the matches I've played)

Any feedback/help on this is appreciated in advance.

Fluffy1

01-31-2011

although they are getting nerfed i recommend mana regen/level seals and glyphs to help you last hit and harrass better with shiv. you can conserve mana by being light on the jitbs just 1 or 2 for safety is fine. if possible start with golem before lane to hit level 2 and to get you by while you gain a few levels while the regen runes catch up. once you have your ult the golem should be up again if needed.

one key item your missing is deathfire grasp, this and shiv will drop someone to half or even down to as low as 30% depending how squishy they are. in a teamfight they person is gonna get jumped before they can even react since they wont be able to react till after they have seen you. the rylia's is a bit out of place, jitbs dont use the slow(apparently for balance reasons) and shiv allready slows. carefull use of your range and stealth lets you minimize the need for hp.

i wouldnt bother with sheen early, you shouldnt be getting into melee. its safer to just focus on your AP and later on get the lichbane outright so you can convert your AP to physical damage. id be looking into a deathcap. AP shaco is a high AP stacker. void staff is a good idea though, keep that.

as for starting out i personally start with a dorians ring combined with my flat AP quints to make my shiv hit as good as other mages nukes base values. i aim for CDR/sorc boots depending along with another dorians ring on first trip. if im forced back early or having bad lane i grab 2 more rings and base boots.

the hp, regen and AP lets me ease into mid game nicely and reduces chance of feeding and increase early kills. i sell them as i go to spike my mid game. AD shaco is not better persay anymore, the bloodrazor build has been directly and indirectly nerfed to be equal to the AP build in usefullness and effectiveness. both builds work fine. while boodrazor build can deal more damage its also alot more risky and tends to feed alot from even the smallest mistakes.

CrimsonWraith

01-31-2011

Yeah, pretty much everything that Fluffy1 said. Except, I would replace the Void Staff with an Abyssal Scepter -- you're going to be in range any way and it's not like you're hanging around long enough for them to react to the aura. The MPen it gives and the survivability it adds make it much better for your needs.

CarbunkleFlux

01-31-2011

Thank you both.

I hadn't thought about Deathfire's active. When I think about it, Deathfire's doing almost everything I count on Shurelya's for besides the survivability. I also did not know my JITB weren't slowing. That kind of sucks X_x.

So taking the responses into account, I think I'll modify my core to be something like this:
Deathfire Grasp (AP, CDR, MP5)
CDR Boots
Abyssal Scepter
Rabaddon's Deathcap
Lich Bane

The only thing I'm really missing is I need some HP. Starting with a Doran's or two might help those matters. But I guess with deceive Shaco already has some crazy survivability.

Fluffy1

01-31-2011

crimsonwraith: while the abyssal scepter is awesome it also gives the enmies a buff to let them know your trying to be sneaky near them, gives you away. same deal with starks for stealthers. ruins the surprise.

CrimsonWraith

01-31-2011

Fluffy1, yes, I know that the debuff can give away a stealth champ's presence. I wouldn't advocate it on any other champ -- as they rely on being stealthed for extended periods of time. I feel that it is acceptable to use on Shaco, as his use of the stealth mechanism is very directed and quick -- eliminating any opportunity to act on the knowledge that you are present.

Carados

01-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy1 View Post
crimsonwraith: while the abyssal scepter is awesome it also gives the enmies a buff to let them know your trying to be sneaky near them, gives you away. same deal with starks for stealthers. ruins the surprise.
Anyone paying attention to the ****ing game knows when a Shaco is around due to his Q particles (intentionally) showing through the fog of war at close ranges.

Have you ever seen a Shaco before?

Fluffy1

01-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Anyone paying attention to the ****ing game knows when a Shaco is around due to his Q particles (intentionally) showing through the fog of war at close ranges.

Have you ever seen a Shaco before?
only deceive gives him away, jitbs in bush do not.

Jkase

02-03-2011

oops, someone already mentioned DFG, new build is very similar to mine. Although sometimes you can get the lichbane as second item if they aren't focusing you very well.