Irelia = Tanky DPS?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

llllllillilllill

01-16-2011

Hiten Style + BloodRazer = all the dmg you need against squishies, you can just go tank from that point on.

chumbler

01-16-2011

Attack speed builds are not great because attack speed is a kind of bad stat. Some attack speed is good, a heavy focus on it is bad. Get a trinity force as your first big item and then build other items as the game dictates. If you're free to get more damage build a ghostblade since the active and all of its other stats really help you. If you need armor get a randuin's omen. If you need MR get a banshee's veil. Sometimes you may need to get items different from these, but trinity force is a really, really good item on her. If you want to act like you're Sivir get a tiamat. Irelia doesn't make a great beefy dps because she doesn't have innate damage reduction and she needs to build damage to be effective.

Don't build AP Irelia though.

llllllillilllill

01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
Don't build AP Irelia though.
This. A million times this.

There are two ways for Irelia to go: DPS Tank or Extremely DPS.

Karathrow

01-16-2011

ALL MELEE ARE INHERENTLY TANKY!!!

How is this so hard to understand?! They are DESIGNED that way because its the cost of doing business when you have to get in MELEE range to deal damage.

Aside from what Im about to list note that most melee dps get MR with level whereas most (not sure if ANY do) ranged do not. Melee also have higher base move speed, health, armor and gain more armor and health per level.

Akali -built in MR and armor via W. Passive gives spell vamp too
Evelynn- Heals off champ kills, has stealth and stun to close gaps
GP-W heals him and removes cc
Garen- free permanent armor and MR as well as a 30% damage reducing shield
Irelia-Lots of survivability via healing through hiten style and ult, stuns when at lower % health than target (which is likely when chasing down a ranged carry since they will hit you first)
Jax-Dodge, dps stats give health, ult gives MR
Kat-shunpu gives reduced damage when combined with killer instincts
Nasus-passive gives lifesteal, ult gives AD, W slows enemy attack speed
Nidalee cat form-10% dodge
Olaf-Massive healing, scales on health, attacks faster the lower his health is, ult gives reduced damage and cc immunity
poppy-Passive reduces damage that exceeds 10% of her health by 50%, W gives armor, ult makes you invlunerable.
Sion-last hits with E on give max hp increase, W is a shield, ult heals massively
Trundle-Ult gives armor, hp and MR. W gives reduced cc duration. Passive heals you when enemies die. Q lowers enemy AD
Tryndamere-Q heals, W gives 100 AD reduction, and his ult makes him invulnerable
Udyr-Passive gives dodge, turtle gives a shield and healing
Warwick-Tied for highest base MR in the game. Almost always has razor in build which means more armor, passive, Q and ult heal him. Has some of the highest self-healing in the game.
Xin Zhao-Passive heals him, Ult gives armor and MR

Note that most of these champions (aside from nasus and sion) are not listed by tanks by Riot's official tags, nor would most people ever call these people tanks.

We, as players need to make a distinction between TANKY and a tank.

DragnMaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2011

I've played Irelia for a long time, and I use this build.
Attack Speed Rune Page.
21/0/# Masteries.
Normal Boots of the start, building frozen mallet for the slow, then getting emblem of valor, and possibly starks, followed by phantom dancer for run speed and attack speed, with infinity edge for crit, and either bloodthirster, or a defensive item depending on how the game is going.

Erenia

01-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragnMaw View Post
I've played Irelia for a long time, and I use this build.
Attack Speed Rune Page.
21/0/# Masteries.
Normal Boots of the start, building frozen mallet for the slow, then getting emblem of valor, and possibly starks, followed by phantom dancer for run speed and attack speed, with infinity edge for crit, and either bloodthirster, or a defensive item depending on how the game is going.
Works for 1v1, any teamfight you are dropping dead on 1 sec in focusfire after a CC though. That build dish out good damage but only has the lifesteal and mallet HP and no extra armor/MR. You drop too fast in focus fire, and you can't really avoid being in focusfire range as melee.

KingoftheCoopahs

01-17-2011

i jungle her and build her stupidly tanky with lots of hp regen early on. because of the way trinity force functions (only factors your unaltered base AD into its proc) it makes it highly effective for characters that don't plan on building any other damage items, IE nasus, blitzcrank, any other dps off-tank

irelia is on that fine line, where i can't quite tell if its worth it to get a trinity force, or just abandon the 160 extra Q damage and just take a mallet.
apen quints aspd reds armor yellows mres blues
1 / 21 / 8. smite ghost.
cloth armor 5 health potions
-> heart of gold
mercury treads
phage
-> frozen mallet / trinity force
force of nature
-> randuins omen
youmuu's ghostblade / stark's fervor.

irelia demands red buff or mallet at all times. even with randuin, youmuu, a dash, a slow/stun, high cc reduction, and 330 base move speed, irelia still gets outrun for reasons i can't understand. if you don't have a mallet you better have red buff.

her ultimate has piss poor scaling and is magic damage so building her high AD or armor pen seems rather ineffective to me.

chaolun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterPumpkins View Post
Like any character than can utilize all of their benefits, I find Banshee's/Triforce extremely effective on Ire. Rush catalyst to help with laning (Q spam is good), then get Trinity and finish Banshee's. She ends up with decent resistances and damage output.
yeah this is the same thing i do and it works out pretty well, and gives you lots of survivability

doing this though you rely heavy on your skilling in order to do damage

with this priority you'll be doing lots of damage with a good Q and E
R > Q > E > W

after trinity it's pretty much up to you item wise, build tankier or more dps
i've gotten away with lots of different items after TF

ArcherU

01-17-2011

Trinity force. Seriously, the hp and slow from Phage, the Sheen for her Q and Zeal for AS and to complement her already large base movement speed. Every single on Trinity is good for her and it rounds her up perfectly.

Berserkers is my choice of boots since she has a natural cc reduction.

After that I go for Sword of the Divine. It's cheap and gives you enough AS to start really carrying.
Alternatively you could go for other high AS items like Stark's or Madred's but it'll take longer to complete.

After that you should definitely go AD, a bloodthirster or black cleaver would be my first choices.

The Ultimator

01-17-2011

Quints on MS, Red armor pen, Yellow and Blue Mana reg per lvl
masteries i go 0/9/21 reaching the health regen in the defensive tree. (using flash and ghost in utility
1st Dorans shield with health pot.
Then you go Mercury threats, (imba slow/stun/fear etc reduction due her passive)
Blood razor
Wit's End
Frozen Mallet.
Last item optional.