Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Power Is Sold In Draft Mode

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strawbrrymlk

01-16-2011

Short Post Summary:
In order to make it such that power isn't sold, the champions the other team has and hasn't unlocked shouldn't be visible during the banning phase of champion drafting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Post:
One of the things Riot has stated they want to do with Influence and Riot points is to ensure that "power" is not sold. For the most part this is true, since although there are IP boosts that can be bought, you still need to play to obtain runes and level up an account.

The release of Draft Mode in its current form however, breaks this system by giving a significant advantage to players with a wider variety of Champions unlocked, which can be done with purely Riot Points. Obviously it has always been helpful to have a wide variety of champions, but the way banning works in draft mode seems to unduly punish teams with a narrower group of champions to select from.

Drafting could be made much more reasonable by a simple, and easy to make change to the banning phase of champion select. Currently when a team leader is selecting champions to ban, champions that are not owned by any member of the opposing team are not available to ban. This makes it such that teams with less champions unlocked are even more susceptible to champion banning since the few champions they do have will be targeted for banning. It should be made so the team leader always has to select from all champions to ban. Having additional champions unlocked would still be helpful, but would be more fair and wouldn't unduly coerce players into having to buy alot of different champions.

Rooster Raiden

01-16-2011

I didn't know this, and I agree with the OP.

rumples

01-16-2011

agreed

Necessitous

01-16-2011

Your post makes no sense. Though that could be because I have almost every champion.But why would it be fair to ban champions the other team doesn't even have. That's foolish and would be a waste of a ban. Think about it.

Why would I ban rammus or pantheon if no one on the other team had him?

edit:expecting to be downvoted for having a logical opinion.

Polaritie

Recruiter

01-16-2011

Your post is self-contradictory.

Please rewrite it.

rumples

01-16-2011

why should they even know that you dont own them? if they want to avoid a pick they shouldnt have the luxury of knowing they dont have to ban to avoid it just because people havent bought that champ.

Blizzyb

01-16-2011

Everyone knows who the usual suspects are for bans. If you want to win, you always need to have a backup plan. If you only own a few champs, you probably arent ready for ranked anyway. This is a complete non-issue...

/thread

Rooster Raiden

01-16-2011

Quote:
edit:expecting to be downvoted for having a logical opinion.

Don't be silly. No one is rampant downvoting. Your opinion matters but I feel that again the OP has a point. Why should you even know that the other team can't play Pantheon? It gives you an advantage, because you are essentially given an extra ban.

Ziddletwix

01-16-2011

first, draft mode is made for high level competitive play. It just doesn't make much sense at lower levels of play. At level 30, i'd hope you have a decent number of champs unlocked O.o. It's a mode that isn't meant to work well for people that don't have many heroes unlocked. I mean think about it, ban's don't make sense either way if there is an imbalance of number of heroes availible on each side. it's also meant to be strategic, and there will always be a disadvantage if someone only has 5 heroes unlocked.

Goshdarnit

01-16-2011

All I'm hearing is "Baw I can't steamroll my way to wins by only unlocking the current FOTM.