Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Achievement System in league!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alkrym

Recruiter

01-16-2011

Personally i would like there to be an Achievement system similar to that of World of Warcraft, Xbox 360, or PS3. And i'm sure others feel the same. In this system i would like there to be achievements to earn Skins, or for getting penta kills with different characters, Maybe even titles and other in game rewards that make playing the game more worth while. Have Achievements for earning cert-en ratings in ranks games, that would most likely give players that are having a harder time or aren't that good at ranked games some motivation to get better and play better. Theres so much potential for this achievement system, please leave a replay to this matter with you're opinion. Hopefully if enough people agree and post on this thread about achievements they'l think about implementing it. thank you for you're time.

Bobicus Rocketus

01-16-2011

They're apparently planning on adding achievements at some point, given the existence of an Achievements tab on profile pages.

I doubt they'd give skins as rewards, unless it's a high-tier achievement. I think IP would be a better option anyway, since you can buy a good bulk of in-game features with it.

warmonkey

01-16-2011

achievements are dumb. and bad. and would only ruin the game.

that tab needs to be removed. *NOW*.

DoctorGregman

01-16-2011

I don't think it's a good idea. If you tie unlockable content to achievements then people would start achievement farming.

Bobicus Rocketus

01-16-2011

So people would play the game more, and try different tactics/playstyles, even if it is just to get an achievement?

Doesn't sound entirely horrible to me.

warmonkey

01-16-2011

Quote:
Bobicus Rocketus:
So people would play the game more, and try different tactics/playstyles, even if it is just to get an achievement?

Doesn't sound entirely horrible to me.

Doesn't sound horrible to you to have chuckleheads ruining your game so they can accomplish some obscure and non-productive task, just so a little box pops up and tells them they're special?

Have fun losing games so others can farm achievements I guess. But go do it in another game.

Achievements. Are not. Good. Ever play TF2? Ever play TF2 and see some guy just grab a heavy and start shooting in spawn next to the ammo to get an achievement? Ok, now transition that game-ruining garbage to LoL.

Yeah, it would suck.

Achievements ruin good gameplay.

Bobicus Rocketus

01-16-2011

Quote:
warmonkey:
Doesn't sound horrible to you to have chuckleheads ruining your game so they can accomplish some obscure and non-productive task, just so a little box pops up and tells them they're special?

Have fun losing games so others can farm achievements I guess. But go do it in another game.

Achievements. Are not. Good. Ever play TF2? Ever play TF2 and see some guy just grab a heavy and start shooting in spawn next to the ammo to get an achievement? Ok, now transition that game-ruining garbage to LoL.

Yeah, it would suck.

Achievements ruin good gameplay.

I've never really cared about achievements, if I happen to earn one it's more of an "Oh, cool" feeling than something to strive for.

I agree that achievement-mongering can lead to a dip in quality of solo queuing, but at the same time, if I solo, I immediately take into account ragers, leavers, feeders, etc. I find these to be a bigger issue than someone trying (and possibly failing) to change tactics in order to have a newfound fun in the game.

LoL is a team game, and with achievements, that will not change. I understand in shooter games where someone can spray bullets at a spawn point can ruin the enemy team's fun, and even the friendly team's fun. But that type of situation doesn't entirely apply to LoL.

If achievements are done right, it can increase the risk/reward system for some players, encourage smart teamplay and co-ordination, along with communication. Yes, we would have some players being total idiots just trying to get an achievement, but like I said before, at the same time it may require a change in tactics, and require different playstyles, which could be just as refreshing for the game, even if there is that chance it can ruin gameplay. But all the current negative player-types does that anyway.

zeroh0ur

01-16-2011

Xbox live is a constant reminder of why Achievements is a really bad idea in multiplayer games

warmonkey

01-16-2011

Quote:
Bobicus Rocketus:
If achievements are done right, it can increase the risk/reward system for some players, encourage smart teamplay and co-ordination, along with communication. Yes, we would have some players being total idiots just trying to get an achievement, but like I said before, at the same time it may require a change in tactics, and require different playstyles, which could be just as refreshing for the game, even if there is that chance it can ruin gameplay. But all the current negative player-types does that anyway.

It offers something negative while offering absolutely nothing positive.

It should not be done.

Bobicus Rocketus

01-16-2011

I'll concede that I do not know a lot about achievements in a console setting, or first-person shooter setting, I see this more like achievements in World of Warcraft, where it presents an opportunity/necessity in change of tactics, which provides a rewarding and refreshing change in how the game is played.

But I totally understand why achievements could be detrimental to gameplay, I'm just pointing out another way it could be.