help with character picking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zapyzappy

01-10-2010

Hi, i'm still new at this game and i've tryed many different people like all the free champions and some that i got on my own such as ryze and master yi, they both r good but i like mages, assassians, and anything ranged, i know ryze is a mage assassian but something about him just isn't right with me.... so i'm just looking for a champion that fits me, ranged, mage and/or assassian, health a little higher than ryze, and do either big burst damage or small-medium damage over time. any suggestions?

Destromas

01-10-2010

Teemo, Tristana, Veigar, Karthus. These are my B-team champions.

Maggeus

01-10-2010

I guess you'll love Annie. She's a magician ranged that can burst a lot, with 3 damages spell containing one invocation of a giant fire Tibbers.
I'd say go with her, she's not high priced too. But if you want to find the character you'll love the most, you have to try them all.

And of course, there is Twisted Fate, the Cardmaster, but since you're new you should go with heroes that aren't really hard to master first.

1 01

01-10-2010

Annie and Veigar are both high-burst mages. I personally haven't tried them myself ( I bought Ryze, who is good enough of a mage for me), but from what I've seen, Annie and Veigar can put out some serious damage.

Basilisk9466

01-10-2010

Annie is a team player - two AoE spells, and a passive that means either of them can stun. Her burst is terrific, and her cooldowns pretty rapid, so can be quite scary late game.

Veigar, IMO, is the single most brutal 1v1 champ out there. His AoE spell is delayed and thus trickier to use than Annie's instants, but it does horrendous damage, and his other offensives not only scale well with AP, they give you more AP if you get a killing blow with them. Event Horizon isn't hugely useful as CC unless you're very smart with the aim (getting them on the edge instead of trapping them in the middle), but it's a great 'trap', if a somewhat iffy stun.

Karthus takes balls of solid steel to play well, and a willingness to just dive into the middle of the fray. Since this is very situational, and requires good judgement, I wouldn't recommend him to a beginner. That, and he's expensive as hell.

Nidalee deserves mention, doing reasonable ranged damage and/or ability damage, and being able to switch into one of the *****est melee burst champs out there. She can beat a lot of carries simply because people see their health bar vanish in the opening burst and panic - and by the time they've come to their senses, she's begun to cycle her abilities again. Heavy reliance on skillshots and vulnerability to CC doesn't make her the easiest, though.

Tristana is my long-term favourite champ, capable of truly scary damage endgame and being a massive pain in the rear early on. She's got a nice learning curve - her straightforward abilities make her easy to do reasonably with, but practice and experience keep ramping her up.

bobthegood

01-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk9466 View Post
Veigar, IMO, is the single most brutal 1v1 champ out there. His AoE spell is delayed and thus trickier to use than Annie's instants, but it does horrendous damage, and his other offensives not only scale well with AP, they give you more AP if you get a killing blow with them. Event Horizon isn't hugely useful as CC unless you're very smart with the aim (getting them on the edge instead of trapping them in the middle), but it's a great 'trap', if a somewhat iffy stun.
Event horizon is considered the best non-ult AoE stun. A good Veigar will use the edges. In team fights his stun will get 2-4 people.

Hiclic

01-10-2010

Kassadin is also interesting. His mobility goes through the roof when he reaches his ultimate (very low cooldown teleport that does damage, and does more damage the more times you chain it), and he's effective at hunting down stragglers/runners. His passive gives him a 15% reduction of all damage taken from abilities so your hp bar will definitely thank you for choosing him. When combined with his silence, conal snare and mobility it makes him a real beast against most casters. Build him with AP and you won't be sorry. Only weird bit is he's a melee in plain autoattack, but mid to late game you'll rarely if ever get swipes in if you're focusing on AP--I like to think of his teleport as his autoattack. Try him out when you can.

ZGBudai

01-10-2010

Ashe is easy to play and good to master. She plays well with caster style laning but a more carry oriented late game. Great to learn the game with.

Klazzix

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapyzappy View Post
Hi, i'm still new at this game and i've tryed many different people like all the free champions and some that i got on my own such as ryze and master yi, they both r good but i like mages, assassians, and anything ranged, i know ryze is a mage assassian but something about him just isn't right with me.... so i'm just looking for a champion that fits me, ranged, mage and/or assassian, health a little higher than ryze, and do either big burst damage or small-medium damage over time. any suggestions?

You're definitely talking about Annie. Try her. Mage, ranged, burst and she can rack you kills.

Synxxx

01-11-2010

Yep, should give Annie a try. She's pretty easy, and straight up awesome at melting anyone who is below ~60% hp in about 1 second.