Most Effective DPS/Tank Alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Balorlord

01-12-2010

Be a noob like me and go Force-A-Nature then stack warmogs/atmas evenly
Oh and if you cant seem to make that much in a game, just stack HoG first

MBirk

01-12-2010

Mana manip
Boots
Sheen
Spirit shroud
Trinity

Sheen increases your ability to last hit alot, as well as get kills.
Spirit shroud gives you hp, mana regen and CD reduction. Both CD and mana regen are very important to alistar.
Which you get first should depend on the game a bit. If you are outleveling the other team, your basic level advantage will give you a hp advantage, that sheen will let you farm kills even faster, while if you are matched or underleveled, shrouds hp boost, and CD reduction will give you survival and a team buff to help you catch up.

Flash or ghost are must haves for Alistar. I like ghost more. Longer duration, and ability to walk through minions, allowing alistar to position for headbutt much easier.

Jorana

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balorlord View Post
Be a noob like me and go Force-A-Nature then stack warmogs/atmas evenly
Oh and if you cant seem to make that much in a game, just stack HoG first
How do you deal with Alistar's poor mana pool and regeneration? I find that I need both a +mana item and a +mana regen item to give me enough mana to Ground Pound/Punt whenever I need.

Toros

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorana View Post
Interesting build. I tend to go with

1) Meki's Pendant, 1 health pot, 1 mana pot
2) Chalice of Harmony (for the mana regen and magic resistance)
3) Speed 2 boots, depending on matchup, either Ninja's Tabi or Mercury Treads
4) Frozen Heart or Sheen (game usually ends here)
5) Aegis or Phage depending on my feeling

Maybe once I get more mana regen runes, an early sheen would be better as long as I don't have to face really heavy magic champions like Ryze or Veigar.

Any issues with my build?
No, it's definately a solid build. I've used it in the past.

I usually get the sapphire crystal first and 2 hp pots, and I can usually get my mana to last until i need to go back to buy something anyway.

The big advantage of sheen is that you can get it during the laning phase, and it improves on all your weaknesses (farming, tiny mana pool, ignorable autoattack damage), and your strengths in tower pushing too.

And the advantage of ageis as a third item, is before you can buy it outright, you can buy whatever part you need (more magic defense, more health, more armor, etc), so your defenses stay consistent through midgame.

Reasonably early ageis is really nice for your team too.

I'd really appreciate if you tried it and told me what you thought.

Bloodba7h

01-12-2010

I'm just theorycrafting, but would this work at all?

Sapphire Crystal + 1 mana potion
Sheen
Boots1 + Ruby Crystal
Catalyst
Boots2
Phage
Zeal
Trinity
Banshee's

Khashishi

01-12-2010

sounds too expensive

OmniOblivion

01-12-2010

i never played with Alistar b4. He seems like a great tank for players. his ultimate gives him a significant defense boost. If i were to go for a build, i would get high movement, cooldown, and mana regen for him.

Jorana

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toros View Post
No, it's definately a solid build. I've used it in the past.

I usually get the sapphire crystal first and 2 hp pots, and I can usually get my mana to last until i need to go back to buy something anyway.

The big advantage of sheen is that you can get it during the laning phase, and it improves on all your weaknesses (farming, tiny mana pool, ignorable autoattack damage), and your strengths in tower pushing too.

And the advantage of ageis as a third item, is before you can buy it outright, you can buy whatever part you need (more magic defense, more health, more armor, etc), so your defenses stay consistent through midgame.

Reasonably early ageis is really nice for your team too.

I'd really appreciate if you tried it and told me what you thought.
I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you for the reasoning and advice. Do you tend to use Teleport in this type of build? I find that I port back for the Chalice+Boots around the end of the laning phase, but an early Sheen seems like it'd need a way to move back into my lane quickly.

I usually use Flash (for those nice initiator moments) and Fortify, although, I'm thinking of getting rid of Fortify.

Ubersoldat

01-12-2010

I enjoy using Trinity Force on Alistar.

Generally I go:
Meki Pendant with 2 health pots
Boots 1
Sheen
Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi
Zeal
Trinity Force

If the game is still going on, which most of the time it isn't, I get Frozen Heart.
I'm pretty sure this is the build most people use. I found it while looking at the top 100's recent games, lol.

Febreze Freshnes

02-12-2011

Alistar is my main, and I take great pride in playing him as a badass multifaceted cow from hell. Ive had 350+ games with him alone, and have created some crazy builds on him.

As a tank, I usually start with mana manip if you are with another mana user, or meki pendant if you are solo (yes, ali is a decent solo) or with a non mana user. I then rush a philosofers stone because it provides mana regen, helth regen, as well as much needed gold. Go for whatever boots you like. I love the cdr boots personally, but if ur building other cdr items, then go for more speed. After this i usually decide if i am doing well. If I am, i get a Leviathan (I know, noob), or if I am sucking I grab Warmogs. After this upgrade to shurelia's and soul shroud. At this point in the game, you don't even notice aggro hitting you, so grab ur best dps, and bd the hell out of towers and dive the noob squishies. Finish the game with whatever items you like. I forgot to mention Spirit Visage. This item gives your heal a huge buff, and makes you laugh at kids trying to dive at you.

AP Alistar is hilarious, and dangerous. Items are basic caster items. I run a doran's ring, maybe 2 if i get an early kill, and then rush kages for gold, and so you can turn it into DFG later. Something you can do that is crazy is build Nashor's Tooth and Lich Bane. You rip towers apart in a cacophony of rage and gold. Get yourself a Zhonias Hourglass, Rabadons Deathcap and RoA. I usually ask for a solo lane when i play AP. This is so i can get those last hits under tower, lvl up faster, and let them push my lane so I can combo them under my tower for kills. You might say that it is unreliable, and wont work. Trust me...it does. It works beautifully. I think the main reason it works so well though, is because no one plays alitar. I also run inproved smite and flash on this build, so that i can last hit better, push creeps off of my tower faster, drag and baron early, and grab blue buff to my hearts content.

DPS Alstar is something I'm trying out right now, which is how I found this thread. I am thinking about building a Warmogs, Frozen Hammer, Atmas, Boots of mobility, 2 phantom dancers. Maybe squeeze some more survive or heath regen in there to make it work out better. This is just a bull **** build, i know, but ill let yall know if it actually works in high ELO.

Hope yall find some useful bits in this wall of text, and keep kicking ass with Ali.