[Guide] Into the Fray! A guide to Kayle, the Judicator. (v.2)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muramasa

08-30-2009

Usually with Kayle I tend to go for a straight AP and low cooldown build. Items that I go with are Fiendish Codex, Zhonya's, Lich Bane, Mejai's Soulstealer(sometimes 2), and then maybe just a Kage's Lucky Pick just to fill the last spot. With this i'm usually doing 750+dmg with Reckoning which only has a 5sec cooldown for me. My masteries are mostly in defense though because I don't usually play Kayle but this still works out really well.

Logo

08-31-2009

Well I played about 20 or so games using this build over the end of last week and this weekend:

2x Faerie Charms and 4 potions (split between mana and health depending on possible opponents and personal preference)
Boots of Swiftness
Mana Manipulator (you could put this off until later if you wanted)
Aegis
Soul Shroud
Sunfire cape x2
Starks/Atmas (I really don't care what you put here if your game is letting you go this far you are doing it wrong anyways)

Meanwhile also buying red elixirs (maybe green ones later on). You'll also want to stay somewhat stocked up on mana potions for that extra burst of regen as we aren't increasing her mana pool at all.

Rune book for me is -8% CD reduction, +4 mp/5 and +200 hp/level.

It's really hard to give a difinitive build of 6 items considering that say in the past 30-40 games of playing Kayle I've never had a game go long enough for me to even finish the first sunfire cape.

Summon abilities are Promote/Rally unless your team is already packing a bunch in which case you can get heal or flash (heal preferred I'd say).

Playstyle is like this...

Early game is standard Kayle stuff. Not really any different from any other build with her.

Mid game (starting pretty much around when your promote first comes up). You want to push with promote whenever possible. Ideally using your team's abilities as well. Pushing a tower is as simple as dropping promote and rally and going to town, the harder part is making sure you can keep the enemies away. The other strong use of promote is dropping it during team fights for the extra damage or more importantly dropping it when your opponents have creep aggro and following it up with a slow. A creep wave with a promoted unit will deal significant damage to your opponent. More so when you get Aegis. Really all its about is pushing down the lanes as much as possible and getting on those towers with promotes, ults, and team boosting abilities. Don't be afraid to roam at 3 or 4 to a weaker lane to push it with promote (assuming your partner can handle the lane solo). Know who's your buddy on your team. You want to impart your aura as much as possible to the DPS like Jax, Sivir, Yi and you want to also be near champs who you can stack auras with like Sivir, Taric, Gangplank.

Really it's standard promote use, make sure not to waste it when your opponent will just be able to down the creep wave. Find the weak or undefended lanes to push with teammates and rush them down as fast as you can.

That's really all there is to it. The build doesn't really change your playstyle of Kayle fighting. The only change is you want to stay pushing lanes as much as possible rather than focusing on ganks and what not. Let the enemy team come to you and fight where you are going to make the most difference (your creeps).

Xl

Adjudicator

08-31-2009

I like going a slight variety on a lot of the builds here:

Philosopher's Stone
Berserker Boots
Sunfire Cape
Atma's

Usually the game is over by this point - if not, I'll go whatever is most useful against the other team (FoN, Warmog, Guardian Angel, etc). Sunfire helps farm and is useful damage in team fights, and with Atma's you have more survivability and you're up to about 160 damage, so if you pop your ultimate mid-team fight, they can't really ignore you. And if they focus you and not your team, you've won.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-01-2009

Added Logo's build to the guide. Thanks, Logo!

Jaedan

09-06-2009

I've been playing Kayle off and on for a little over a month now and I've tried all of the above strategies as of the latest patch. I'll weigh in on what I think works best (they all work fairly well to be honest).

The two most useful summoner abilities I've found are teleport and exhaust. Teleport so that you can buy and get back quickly early, and be there to join important pushes late in the game. Exhaust can turn the tide early in the game by allowing you to get a few kills. You'd be surprised at level 6 how many people are willing to fight you 1v1. It is a terrible, terrible idea for them to do that. You hit them with Reckoning, smack them a few times while they blow a few cooldowns and think they're winning. Then you hit your ultimate and go invulnerable. Exhaust them when they realize what is happening and try to run, followed by a reckoning which has since come back up from the first time you used it. People fall for this every time. This let's you get ahead early, especially in pub games, and exhaust becomes useful late game for stopping runners while you dominate everyone on the map.

As far as items, I've found the most effective strategy early is to buy a Meki's pendant first, followed by a Philosopher's Stone when you hit 720 gold. Teleport back to your lane immediately after you buy it. You'll want to spam reckoning at this stage in the game to keep the opposing champions from last hitting and to allow yourself to do so, and to pull this off you need lots of mana regen. After philosopher's stone, I always pick up Berzerker boots.

The above most people have already laid out elsewhere in this thread and others. From here though, I think my strategy differs a bit. The next item I pick up is a Frozen Heart for the armor and cooldown reduction. Cooldown reduction has been the most effective strategy on Kayle that I've found. While AP makes Kayle hit hard and attack speed works well with Kayle's ultimate, cooldown reduction lets you go invulnerable every 12 seconds and use your ultimate every ~80 seconds. I find that 12 seconds is a fast enough cooldown that you can often use the first invulnerability offensively to let you sit in the fight while you hit people with your ultimate and still rely on an invulnerability later to escape if the fight doesn't go your way. This is tremendously useful, especially if you can manage to lead a charge and get focus fired.

After Frozen Heart, I pick up a Banshee's Veil typically, but anything with magic resistance will probably work. From here, if I'm winning I'll start stacking AP or attack speed for the rest of the game, depending if the fights are small scale (AP) or large 5v5 (attack speed). After Banshee's Veil the game typically is decided one way or the other anyway.

Klinkin

09-06-2009

Well, I'm someone who likes tanks. A lot. I play Kayle in the majority of my games, and I found this guide very helpful. However, I usually go with a slightly modified build:
Kayle, the Judicator: Balanced Tank Variant
This build is what I've found works very well for a tank that has the ability to keep the pressure on ranged champions early game. Mid to late-game, it's very good at tanking, but it also gains important momentum early-game to get ahead of your opponents.
Spells: Teleport and Revive. Teleport gets you back into the fray quickly after you go back to base to heal up or buy something, and Revive does the same thing when you mess up and get killed.
Starting item: Regrowth Pendant. This builds the very powerful Warmong's Armor mid/late-game and yet gives you the ability to stay in the lane early game. A useful item that stays useful. Note: It costs all 475 gold you start with.
Next, I buy these items (or parts thereof) whenever I go back to base to refresh or have loads of unspent gold.
1. Chalice of Harmony: No more mana problems. Ever. This lets you use Reckoning quite frequently while still keeping your health up with Divine Blessing and leaving you enough to Intervene when needed. At 890 gold, it's a bit expensive, but you should be able to stay in the lane long enough to get that before you have to go back.
2. Ninja Tabi: Almost every build should have some kind of boots. These are the defensive boots of the family, and they provide both armor and a dodge bonus. They're not too expensive, either, at only 850 gold. Note: I knoe they're slightly less than the chalice, but buy that first. The mana regen will let you Reckon your way to more gold fast, especially if you have some delicate melee champion in your lane.
3. Warmong's Armor: Finally, here it is. It's big, it's expensive, and it provides everything Kayle will ever need until late game. Try to farm after getting this to get the extra health and regen.
After those items, the rest is up to you. Generally, the game doesn't go long enough to contemplate another big purchase or two, but anything that gives loads of health or armor is good. Soul Shroud or Frozen Heart both give cooldown reductions, which are useful, while if you're facing a lot of minions or melee champions, the sun cape works wonders.
Tips: I try and stay in the lane until I really need to go back. I'm willing to put off buying an item for a while to get more gold and experience if my health and mana are both in good shape. The Regrowth Pendant helps with the health, but I need to ration my Reckonings until I get the chalice. I get the chalice early because rationing Reckonings is not ideal, since it's a decent nuke with a spamtastic cooldown of eight seconds and a slow at that. I use it to harass opponents in my lane, kill opponents that are very low on health, slow opponents who are moving anywhere I don't want them to be, and even just randomly on opposing champions without any plan in mind. It works very well, even though it's been nerfed and probably will be nerfed again.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-13-2009

Hey guys, I've tried a bunch of other things recently, and, as a non-permanent update to the guide, here is a build that suits an aggressive playstyle. With this build you want to put pushing pressure on the opposing team, but you are also a very dangerous force in ganks.

Runes: Desolation red, Malice yellow, Celerity Blue, Avarice Quint (you can change that for Desolation)
Talents: 9/0/21 with max cd redux and archaic knowledge.
Spells: Teleport and Promote. At the moment, they are imho the two best, hands on. But feel free to disagree.
Abilities: same as in guide. Max Reckoning, then Bubble, and you're set.
Items: Now, here is what I think is the best build order, obviously you make your purchases based on when it is smart to return to base.
- Meki Pendant + 2 pots
- Philo Stone (it pains me, but it's really too good to pass up, especially since you won't have hp bonus)
- Boots 1
- Berserker's Boots
- Recurving Bow (40% att. speed). This is key for the last hitting ease and the pushing capability it gives you with Ulti. Buy this as early as you can. Sometimes, it's even better to buy it between boots 1 and 2 if your gold allows it.

Now here it gets tricky:
- if your team needs ganking power and has a bunch of champs with little mana pools, like Kayle, Malphite, Jax, etc... Get Wit's end. It is TEH bomb that early in the game.
- if your team is doing pretty fine in the pvp department, or the opposing team is full of champions who don't care about mana, you want more pushing capability. You keep your recurve bow as it is, and build Aegis of the Legion. After that, turn the bow into stark's fervor and stick with your team for unstoppable pushing.

If you've gone for Wit's end and want to keep the solo route, forget Aegis, and build Atma's impaler. Yes, I know, you only have something like 2k2 hp. It doesn't matter. It gives you a bit of armor to complement Wit's end MR, nice crit, and around 45 damage to help you kick more ass faster. And it will scale with the last 2 items if the game lasts longer, which will be Banshee's veil and Frozen Mallet, which will finish turning you into an absolute monster.

I generally aim for a bit of both worlds with Philo stone, Boots, Wits end, and Aegis being my first 4. Then Atma and Banshee's if needed.

HF people

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-18-2009

OMG so much has changed my whole guide is obsolete. I don't know when I'll have the time to update it.

*sadness*

Almitt

Adjudicator

09-18-2009

all of our guides are m8, they made her a filthy support!!!

Patyrn

10-20-2009

I play a dps caster pusher hybrid. I get attack speed boots, stinger, guinsoos, sheen, wit's end, tri-force in no particular order.