[Guide] Into the Fray! A guide to Kayle, the Judicator. (v.2)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyatomorrow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2009

I don't see the purpose of Sheen/Lich Bane. Judicator hits fast, she doesn't hit hard enough that it's the best pick, in my opinion at least.

I like to go mana regen (Meki to Philo, or Chalice against a caster team), CD Reductions to get to the 40% cap (Frozen Heart against a physical team, otherwise a combination of Spirit Visage, Nashor, Stinger, maybe Codex) and a Boots of Swiftness for chasing. After that it's situational...

Lots of people swear by ability power, but I prefer attack speed, personally. Slow them down and tear them apart.

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-15-2009

Added Almitt's build to the guide.

Logo

08-27-2009

I think you should update this to include the potential for Kayle's supportive roles. With her aura and promote she can create quite a fearsome creepwave, especially if she grabs support items. At 3 her creep wave (promote + aura) can seriously damage or outright kill an enemy hero if they take the aggro from it.

The skill build is the same but for champion abilities I grab Promote + Rally (your shield is all you really need for escaping no need to overdo it).

Item build is...

Philosopher's Stone
Red Elixirs while building:
Boots of Swiftness
Aegis
Sun fire cape x2 (if it even goes this long)

Optionally after Aegis you are free to grab a hybrid item like Nashor's tooth to lower CD. The objective of this build is to hit hard and fast so it helps to have some teammates you can rely on. The passive from Jud (attack speed boost), Aegis (+damage), Promote (more +dmg), and rally (+15% damage boost) makes for a dominating combination. Pair it up with heroes like Warwick, Sivir, Gangplank for maximum effectiveness.

This of course depends on your team make up if you are coordinated as someone else may be responsible for the aegis, however given that Jud is strongest early game it makes sense for her to be the one to get the aegis instead of a hero who scales better sacrificing their build for it.

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

I'm interested to see what other Kayle enthusiasts think of Logo's strategy. It seems interesting indeed. Any thoughts?

Logo

08-28-2009

I'm also wondering if it might be better to switch up the start of the build (haven't had a chance to test it yet).

Something like...

2x Faerie Charms + Potions
Zetta's Mana Manipulator
Boots of Switfness
Aegis
Soul Shroud
Then into Sunfire capes or whatever your preference is/team needs.

You sacrifice a little early MP regen, the HP regen, and your 5g/10s but you get an aura cooldown + mana regen and an additional source of HP. This would cover your CD needs mostly as it'd bring you up to -21% with mastery. If you go from this into Nashor's you'd hit the cap (though I think I prefer the sunfire capes).

The 3rd variant would be Fiendish codex -> Boots -> Aegis I suppose.

Since you are playing to early game strengths the philosopher's stone seems a little out of place to me as the 5g/10 will be less of a benefit.

The build should be pretty flexible either way past the Aegis. You'll definitely need more HP first but beyond that Starks, Sunfire Capes, Nashor, Sheen, or whatever could work.

Almitt

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

personal first thoughts on this is...

firstly im a little unsure on what aura is being refered to here, secondly i think that in increasing AP and and other stats will get you farther then trying to keep a creepwave alive. There are alot of champs out there that does this way better then you.
True i have used kayle as a backdoorer/close to lose pusher by going of and killing towers with or without creepwave but in those cases i mostly relied on my own dmg not creeps. Also having early kills with the help of creeps seems a bit of a "low tier tactic". I always looked at kayle as a champ taht can easily push towers and such solo due to shield and ulti.

about second build style..

you are adding in alot of mana in your build, why is that so important? i mean you arent that mana dependant and you have a pretty decent normal reg.

Logo

08-28-2009

I'm adding a lot of mana? ~7mp/5 isn't really an insane amount, it just enough to cover nuking and buffing at a fairly decent rate.

The auras I'm referencing are....

Kayle's Passive - Buffs attack speed of allies (including creeps) up to 28% at 18.
Promote - Promoted Units gain a +dmg + armor aura
Aegis - Aegis gives a +Dmg + Armor + Magic Resist Aura
Rally - Rally gives a +dmg aura

It's not like you ignore everything and just creep, you are very deadly to heroes at this point too but your focus is on pushing an applying pressure. Getting early towers down gives your team a massive advantage. Plus these auras still apply to team fights.

If you enter a teamfight with promote rally, aegis, and Jud's passive you are giving your team a huge leg up.

The reason why I think you want to be supportive with Jud's item buid is because she's the stongest early game when your abilities do significant damage at 0 AP and your attacks do significant damage with no physical DPS items. This is the power time for jud. As the game goes on you can be effective with AP, Physical DPS or Tanking but you have to choose between those roles (or go hybrid). So as the game goes on and enemy heroes gain more items you fall behind because you aren't as strong in multiple areas anymore. That's why it makes sense to get items that both help the team and help the game progress early rather than later.

Going an AP or a +Dmg build is a long term build, it pays off when you are higher level. Going for supportive items is an early game build that pays off while you are low level and at your strongest relative to other heroes.

Almitt

Adjudicator

08-28-2009

true.... now when i see the amounts off auras you get around here it is seems nice.
But the only prob i see with this build now is that you have to be able to count on your team... which rarely is a good idea =)

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-29-2009

guys, I haven't had the time to review this, but promise, I'll do it soon.

Anansi

Adjudicator

08-30-2009

Ok, several interesting things here. Aegis, teamfighting, maybe think Frozen Heart for cd redux and group bonus as well? I think there is definitely something to the build, and I'd like to add Logo's build to the guide. However, I need a couple of things from you first:
- circumstances in which that build is useful. You mentionned early game, preferred team composition, we need a summary of that.
- a definitive item build that you will have come up with after tests. What are the 6 items you aim for if the game goes on for ages, and more importantly, what is your build to reach, say, the first 4.
- Play tips linked to the support nature of the build.

Is short, I will be happy to add your build to the guide when you give me a clear picture of what's in there