[Guide] AP Yi, possibly the most underrated in game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Superdadd

01-14-2011

Thank you for the last two posts. That is how people should write counter-posts. I agree with many things said in them, including considering Doran's Ring.

I know with chalice I can spawm W/Q on every cooldown and not go OOM. While that ensures lane presence, perhaps the same gold spent on Doran's Rings would be better, as the earlier AP could help push the lane harder. I wouldn't be able to spam as much, but I would be deadlier. Definitely a recommendation for an AP Yi with Teleport.

Clyton

01-14-2011

I like your build, although, I think you leaving out the DPS area of Yi makes him not utilizing his potential to the fullest, especially with highlander. I usually build Yi as a hybrid AP/AS, or essentially, MDPS. So I obviously have to include Malady, Nashor's Tooth and Wit's End. Their passives gives extra magic damage per hit, which fits finely since Yi will get at least a 2.2 AS in the game, as well as draining the enemy's mana due to Wit's End. I finish it off with a Deathcap and Yomuu's to maximize the AP and CDR I gain, which allows me to spam the Q nuke and the W ultra tanking more often.

Yi's greatest weakness is his vulnerability to CC (except for slow), which obviously, people will always go for him since he's the -caster- carry. Even with his mercury treads which I usually add to the build, and a W ultra tanking, after that, without a team, it's over for him if he can't get away. The purpose I see with him is initiate normally as a carry, dish out as much damage as possible, and then act as the tank with W while the rest of my team clean up the leftovers and I get back full HP to come back in the fight and finish the rest. I usually W once the other team finishes all their CC, which I hoped my team's initiator would've taken them all.

WithoutSkill

01-14-2011

Isnt chalice only necessary for 1v2 lane ?

I find it a bit much no ?

SirCumference

01-14-2011

Sent you a friend request

EasymodeX

01-14-2011

Quote:
I'm just going by experience, I've NEVER been shut out by anyone in lane.
Your experience is worthless.

Quote:
I'll give you that maybe I haven't played the best in the world, but this guide is for the average to great players, and for them, I can do things with AP Yi that easily compare to what they can do to me.
This guide is for pubstomping ******s that have no clue how to lane. Which certainly happens often enough in Normal queue and from time to time in Ranked queue. However, the fact remains that AP Yi is a weak laner, which is a step up from AD Yi who sucks complete ******** in a lane.

The only thing your post and discussion says to me is that you're a low elo scrub that probably finds other things to blame when you lose a lane to a competent opponent.

Your entire guide is littered with newbie assumptions -- things like Meditate will save you against a champ + player that has "strong laning".

Like I originally said -- AP Yi is an entertaining gimmick, and he brings the ability to run away and inconsistently offtank compared to other AP nukers. However, he trades off a ****ton of damage to do so.

You don't even acknowledge basic concepts like the fact that Katarina has a heal debuff that has a shorter cooldown than your Meditate. You can't even measure damage properly -- a Flashfrost or Shunpo combo will do double the damage of your Alpha Strike. Not "a little bit more".

Quote:
You can argue semantics about each Niche and which Niche hero does that NIche better.
Not really. I picked 3 random laning champs. There are many stronger laners. You don't want to try your useless wannabe laning **** against a competent Janna, or god forbid a Tristana that will straight up hard counter you by getting free RJs, and heal debuffing your ass every time you get cute with W.

Quote:
those actuals are definitely 100% in the realm of making him a very viable option.
I hear DPS Janna kills everything in the game too. Snare stun stun stun knockback, invulnerability with her bubble.

Quote:
i can see where the OP is going with this ap yi. ppl frown on it just like they frown on ap shaco.
AP Shaco actually has a conceptual role and viable gameplay, even if it's underpowered in terms of winning the game.

Quote:
The solo Xin is a pretty good example, he will be healing as he attacks creeps, so if built right I think he can and will stretch your mana really far.
Solo Xin is an average example. Against a weak AP Yi, I will literally tank his tower while he Meditates and still kill him. I have no doubts at all that I can kick the ass of any competent AP Yi with Xin -- I won't get 8 kills in 15 minutes, but he will lose the lane, guaranteed.

Cruxxy

01-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCumference View Post
Sent you a friend request
Let us know how the game goes

TakinTheHeat

01-14-2011

I failed.

fed the first game, carried the second but wasnt enough.

first game our mid tf who we went and got red buff for decided to hand it over to mid pantheon, who steamrolled rest of the game. second game I got a triple kill at one point but Q doesnt do **** in teamfights vs full hp opponents with team mates who are bad. pic of second game attached. please note the swain, he is awesome.

build fails in normal solo queue. If you make any more builds, please put that at the top of the page so I can not read it. and edit this one to say that.

BOTLANE MOLESTER

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-14-2011

testing out new forum icon

liquidstardust

01-14-2011

ap yi is ok just u really just kill steal and clean up in teamfights still think ad is better

BackDoorer

01-14-2011

guess the game didn't happen?