Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malphite, a lesser Nunu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CoVi

01-09-2010

Malphite > Nunu because Malphite have DYNAMIC ENTRY!!!!!

No seriouslly, reasons are well listed up here. Nunu is a tank/support/caster all in one malphite is a better tank/initiator overall.

Lumaca

01-09-2010

I think that Malphite is one of the best heroes out there without items. Sure he'll be better with, but he's not extremely too reliant on them. Even when he's underfed he'll still be useful.

Excstazy

01-09-2010

imo Malphite is a little harder to play 2. And he's a better tank. Nunu is killer if the enemy team has no interrupts, and the 6 sec cooldown on the ice ball is amazing.

01-09-2010

Quote:
Klazzix:
Alright, with my frustration with Malphite, I've continued tinkering builds and finally came up with something good in my opinion. Let me share it with the people who'll be reading this thread.

Masteries: 21/9/0 Nimbleness

Runes: Yellow Cooldown Reduction, rest will be Magic Penetration

Items:
1. Doran's Shield (w/ HP pot @Start)
2. Rods Of Ages (+AP for Seismic & Unstoppable, HP, MP)
3. Sorcerer's Shoes (More M.Pen)
4. Frozen Heart (+Armor, best anti-carry item to have, works in conjunction with Ground Slam)
5. Abyssal Scepter (+AP, +MR, More M.Pen)
6. Atma's Impaler (+Armor, Damage)

I know, everyone says "stack armor fool, more damage for ground slam blah blah" that's correct but not quite. You need a decent amount of Magic Penetration as well since Ground Slam does magic damage and this build delivers just that perfectly while not failing on the tank aspect much.

Another option would be when you wanna be more on the tank side would be to switch out RoA for a Banshee's and the Atma's for a Guardian Angel.

Hope this helps out some of the Malphite players out there!

Erm... I find a build of...

1. Ruby Crystal
2. Heart of Gold
3. Banshee's Veil
4. Whatever the hell you want.

Always works.

Lightwrks

01-09-2010

AP Malphite is hella strong.

Klazzix

01-09-2010

Quote:
JohnCataldo:
If you are running away and you end up staying in range for more than 5 seconds after deciding to flee, you are probably dead. It's true iceball will slow their attack speed, which might matter once in a blue moon, but I'd rather have a bigger difference in move speeds right away. After that 5 seconds of Seismic you should be out of range so it doesn't matter how fast they attack.

Obviously Ground Slam isn't terribly good for escaping, but if you were fighting and not running from the start you've hit them with it anyway. And sometimes it will prevent you from having to run away in the first place.)

Not sure why Frozen Heart was mentioned. It doesn't increase the range of Ground Slam.

Well, obviously, you haven't played Nunu that much. Nunu can maintain a significant amount of increased move speed to himself at all times. Seismic is a 5 sec buff for movement, Bloodboil is a 40 sec increase in movement, not ice ball.

Frozen Heart's aura is the same as the effect of Ground Slam.

TheMammon

01-09-2010

Hi im a Malphite-player (watch my stats ingame if u want "TheMammon&quot.
Ive played Nunu a lot in beta and ive got to say ure just wrong.

Listen to the other posters.
Nunu has mass HP and stuff but his ultimate is useless as long as the enemy team got a stun or silence (im talking about someone who knows the game and not randomwusses who stun/silence randomly anything)

MALPHITE:
Malphites Dmg-output in lategame should be like 1000+ dmg (in AOE) with his spells in like 1-2 seconds.
He is very resistant because of his armor and hes imo the best to cut down Twitches, Shacos, Ashes,... (everyother phys.dps-carry except Yi)... u can slow their attackspeed !MORE! than a frozen heart and stun them AOE over wide distance. Yi u cant slow down but u can kill him most times with ur dmg and a bit teamwork (u can stun him too).
BTW: Im stacking armor too, why not? I won like 80-90% of my Malphitegames.

NUNU:
He is nice if the enemy team got no stun/silence which they can use properly (read the randomwuss-stuff).
He can of course be a tank too, but then he wont do much dmg with his skills, so why focus him if he cant harm u? (Malphite can slow ur as(aoe) ms and stun(aoe)! = more reason to be focussed)
BUT Nunu can be a great support in teamfights through his bloodboil and do sick dmg with snowballspam and apbuilt.
So what i expirienced in beta and during common gameplay is that he is more a caster/supporter.

SUMM:
Malphite is tank/dps imo
Nunu is caster/support

Nunu in a real 5(premade) vs 5(premade) without banshees is kinda useless since u only need 1 simple stun/silence to break down 700+ dmg of his ultimate.

Tornsoul

01-10-2010

I agree with ^ but knowing that nunu is there and making sure he gets silenced are two different things. Nunu's ult does...a god awful large amount of damage. There was a team I had run into and one of the things they did was they had a team fight combo of fiddle and nunu and karthus. Karthus would drop his wall, fiddle would throw that **** bouncing silence bird, karthus pops defile, fiddle ults and then nunu flashs in and ults on your silenced team. It was really pretty gay and the way that they played it, quite hard to counter.

I think majority of champions its about how you play them, your team complimenting your strengths and covering your weakness. I am sure everyone has join a solo que with people that all picked good champions but they didnt mess well together and it was all just a train wreck.

Klazzix

01-10-2010

Quote:
TheMammon:
Hi im a Malphite-player (watch my stats ingame if u want "TheMammon&quot.
Ive played Nunu a lot in beta and ive got to say ure just wrong.

Listen to the other posters.
Nunu has mass HP and stuff but his ultimate is useless as long as the enemy team got a stun or silence (im talking about someone who knows the game and not randomwusses who stun/silence randomly anything)

MALPHITE:
Malphites Dmg-output in lategame should be like 1000+ dmg (in AOE) with his spells in like 1-2 seconds.
He is very resistant because of his armor and hes imo the best to cut down Twitches, Shacos, Ashes,... (everyother phys.dps-carry except Yi)... u can slow their attackspeed !MORE! than a frozen heart and stun them AOE over wide distance. Yi u cant slow down but u can kill him most times with ur dmg and a bit teamwork (u can stun him too).
BTW: Im stacking armor too, why not? I won like 80-90% of my Malphitegames.

NUNU:
He is nice if the enemy team got no stun/silence which they can use properly (read the randomwuss-stuff).
He can of course be a tank too, but then he wont do much dmg with his skills, so why focus him if he cant harm u? (Malphite can slow ur as(aoe) ms and stun(aoe)! = more reason to be focussed)
BUT Nunu can be a great support in teamfights through his bloodboil and do sick dmg with snowballspam and apbuilt.
So what i expirienced in beta and during common gameplay is that he is more a caster/supporter.

SUMM:
Malphite is tank/dps imo
Nunu is caster/support

Nunu in a real 5(premade) vs 5(premade) without banshees is kinda useless since u only need 1 simple stun/silence to break down 700+ dmg of his ultimate.

I'd like to speak about facts and not exagerrations. Not the past (beta) but the present. If you paid attention the recent patches Nunu actually got buffed. And who said I don't listen to the posters here? I'm just sharing my humble opinion.

You're saying 700+ dmg from Nunu's Ulti? More like 1200+ at least.

Purutzil

01-10-2010

Stun NuNu during his ult and he becomes useless. A good team will likely have more then 1 stun so even with Banshee its just going to be stopped by one person or another, not to mention any caster can pretty much burn off another spell to break banshee then use their stun if need be considering the long channel time. Malphite is much more common then Nunu in upper Elo due to the fact he can't be stopped during his ult like Nunu can so easily.