Malphite, a lesser Nunu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

01-08-2010

Every way you look at it, Nunu seems better in every way. From skills to damage, Nunu just owns Malphite.

Ice Ball = Seismic + Slam combined. Not to mention the Ice Ball only has a 6s cooldown.
Nunu's Ulti = Slam + Unstoppable comined and almost twice the damage.

Blood Boil, lasts 40 seconds, compared to Malphite's Brutal Strikes which is only 6 seconds.

So I come to think, am I just playing Malphite wrong is he really just not on Nunu's level. Don't get me wrong I like Malphite, he's one of my mains but I can't seem to pull it off as better as Nunu anymore.

Owanan

01-08-2010

Malphite is better than nunu. Malphite's E with armor stacking does 400-600 damage with a very low cooldown. Malphite's Q STEALS their movement and gives it to you. W has passive cleave...the damage increase is different from nunu's attack speed increase. This post is just ignorant. Malpite's R is 10x better than nunu's R E W Q will guranteed kill many heroes....Nunu's R is super easy to avoid...so many differences...completely different characters. Nunu stacks hp items Malphite stacks armor...

JunkRamen

01-08-2010

Malphite is a better tank, a better initiator, and a better anti-carry. Nunu is better against teams that don't have interrupts.

HowlingKommando

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
Malphite is a better tank, a better initiator, and a better anti-carry. Nunu is better against teams that don't have interrupts.
That pretty much sums it up. If the other team takes care to interrupt Nunu, he's close to useless.

JohnCataldo

01-08-2010

Ground Slam is strong magic PBAoE. Comparing it to iceball, a ranged damage+slow, doesn't even make sense.

Malphite's passive shield is important. It's certainly more often relevant than the occasional free spell, and helps a lot during laning if you use it right.

Nunu's ult is stronger if the enemy lets you get away with it. Flash, cleanse or the cleanse-item (forget the name right now) or any stun often get you out of Nunu's ult with little or no damage, unlike Malphite's ult. which usually is only stopped by Banshee's (which also stops Nunu's, of course). Malphite's ult is much harder to avoid for all those reasons, and because it can fly in from a distance. (Obviously, Nunu can take Flash or whatever to try to mitigate this, but so can Malphite to make it even more unexpected.)

Without Nunu's ult, he doesn't do AoE damage, while Malphite does AoE with his ultimate, Ground Slam, and Brutal Spikes (admittedly that's often less effective as AoE in team fights, though the damage bonus is significant for spike damage.)

Brutal Spikes in only very loosely comparable to Blood Boil. BB can go on friends (and should). BS has a strong passive ability and a powerful short term buff, while BB is a longer term more minor buff.

Seismic is also better for escaping multiple chasers than Iceball, though that's a relatively minor thing.

Klazzix

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post

I agree with this.

Although some of the other posts I can't completely agree with, first Seismic isn't as good as Bloodboil for escaping for that matter. Seismic is only 5 seconds, BloodBoil 20. Second, against a ranged carry, let's say you've used your Ulti already, you have to get in close to that ranged carry to do your ground slam (unless you have Frozen heart) while Nunu, can somewhat lower the output of that ranged carry from a range with his ice ball.

Nunu has self heal also, with decent items, you can get 700HP off a creep.

Most of all Nunu's AP ratio is freaking OP. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 1:1 for the ice ball, and a whopping 2.5 ratio to his Ulti.

Klazzix

01-08-2010

Oh also to add, my favorite out of all recently is the Nunu Ulti from the bush. Unexpected, uninterruptable by target stuns unless it's an AOE stunner (Tibber's, Unstoppable, Mummy etc.)

Klazzix

01-09-2010

Alright, with my frustration with Malphite, I've continued tinkering builds and finally came up with something good in my opinion. Let me share it with the people who'll be reading this thread.

Masteries: 21/9/0 Nimbleness

Runes: Yellow Cooldown Reduction, rest will be Magic Penetration

Items:
1. Doran's Shield (w/ HP pot @Start)
2. Rods Of Ages (+AP for Seismic & Unstoppable, HP, MP)
3. Sorcerer's Shoes (More M.Pen)
4. Frozen Heart (+Armor, best anti-carry item to have, works in conjunction with Ground Slam)
5. Abyssal Scepter (+AP, +MR, More M.Pen)
6. Atma's Impaler (+Armor, Damage)

I know, everyone says "stack armor fool, more damage for ground slam blah blah" that's correct but not quite. You need a decent amount of Magic Penetration as well since Ground Slam does magic damage and this build delivers just that perfectly while not failing on the tank aspect much.

Another option would be when you wanna be more on the tank side would be to switch out RoA for a Banshee's and the Atma's for a Guardian Angel.

Hope this helps out some of the Malphite players out there!

tnemlec

01-09-2010

Malphite's ult > nunu, i cant even count how many times i make nunu waste his ult by malphite's ult... and saved my teammates...

they're both good, but i just like malphite's ult more. There are lot of times where 5 champions just stand in the middle waiting doing nothing waiting for someone to initiate and start the big brawl, and malphite is often the one to break the stalemate.

Not to mention, malphite is harder to kill in general, espcially against melees.

they're both good, and i think they're just 2 diff champions

JohnCataldo

01-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazzix View Post
Although some of the other posts I can't completely agree with, first Seismic isn't as good as Bloodboil for escaping for that matter. Seismic is only 5 seconds, BloodBoil 20. Second, against a ranged carry, let's say you've used your Ulti already, you have to get in close to that ranged carry to do your ground slam (unless you have Frozen heart) while Nunu, can somewhat lower the output of that ranged carry from a range with his ice ball.
If you are running away and you end up staying in range for more than 5 seconds after deciding to flee, you are probably dead. It's true iceball will slow their attack speed, which might matter once in a blue moon, but I'd rather have a bigger difference in move speeds right away. After that 5 seconds of Seismic you should be out of range so it doesn't matter how fast they attack.

Obviously Ground Slam isn't terribly good for escaping, but if you were fighting and not running from the start you've hit them with it anyway. And sometimes it will prevent you from having to run away in the first place.)

Not sure why Frozen Heart was mentioned. It doesn't increase the range of Ground Slam.