do "carry" champs really "carry"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jericho Hill

01-13-2011

I was reading a thread and people were ragging on this guy because he only plays "carries" and I got to thinking.

In my solo queue experience I would have to say that the "carries" are the champs that have the hardest time "carrying".

I mean when a carry gets fed in a game it makes the other team sometimes quit cause they think its over, but I would argue that tanks or supports or off tank/supports are much more useful in games (especially long games)

I've definately seen a rammus or morde carry a team to victory

I've played as Janna with bad teams and carried them to wins.

I used to play Twitch and I know for a fact that I got over 30 kills in 4 different games, and not one of those times did we win (i told my buddy it was the "30 kill curse".

Thoughts?

Sinistral

01-13-2011

Carry is a misused term in my eyes. If I take the word carry, it pretty much means that you carry something from paint a, to point b. B being victory.

Sona is a carry, because she can keep a team up and going, giving them various benefits to turn the tides of a battles in their favour. Twitch could also be a carry, in that he wins teamfights and help push towers hard to win. A good tank, like Shen, also has the potential to carry, by keeping his teammates alive and focus attention on him (taunt, stand united).

Carry, however, is often used for pure DPS heroes (think Twitch, Yi, MF, etc), because they have increadible damage potential, being able to turn around a fight. But in my humble opinion, a carry is someone, by simply being present (and properly played ofcourse), that carries a team to victory. If it is done by healing, tanking, or winning teambattles in your favour, doesn't matter to me.

Tokinatoor

01-13-2011

I played a jungle poppy yesterday scoring 11/0/12
I would have lost if 2 people on team dissconnected or maybe if just one dissconnected but at the end of the game I probably could have beat them 1 v 5 easily.

Carrys suck in the begining but at the end they carry............

Jericho Hill

01-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
Carry is a misused term in my eyes. If I take the word carry, it pretty much means that you carry something from paint a, to point b. B being victory.

Sona is a carry, because she can keep a team up and going, giving them various benefits to turn the tides of a battles in their favour. Twitch could also be a carry, in that he wins teamfights and help push towers hard to win. A good tank, like Shen, also has the potential to carry, by keeping his teammates alive and focus attention on him (taunt, stand united).

Carry, however, is often used for pure DPS heroes (think Twitch, Yi, MF, etc), because they have increadible damage potential, being able to turn around a fight. But in my humble opinion, a carry is someone, by simply being present (and properly played ofcourse), that carries a team to victory. If it is done by healing, tanking, or winning teambattles in your favour, doesn't matter to me.
makes sense. good post.

BriefEternity

01-13-2011

Carrying is a term that shouldn't even be applied to a specific class, IMO. Carrying is something you do, not something you play. Why? Because anyone in this game has the ability to carry a team just by playing well.

Most of the games I play, the carries don't even carry. It's always the tanks and the support that end up winning the games for us.

Quintessence

01-13-2011

tanky dps and tanks in general are better carries than the actual carries.

KenRhee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

The name is a misconception. The "carry" makes it sound like that hero is supposed to carry the team...but the "carry" needs good support and a tank to do their jobs well, effectively carrying the "carry".

At the same time, if you remove your main damage dealer from your team fights, you will most likely lose the fight.

It's a codependent relationship

Sturg86

01-13-2011

Ive always assumed carry in the game had a few requirements:
attack damage based character(or AP with very very short cooldowns, see karthus' Q)
steroids of some form, more is better(see wuju and highlander, or tryn passive and bloodlust)
some type of skill that allows you to make use of your uber damage(usually a closing skill, could also be a ranged stun type effect)
requirement to have lots of money(boots and an IE before you become awesome is a good example)

edit: most carries have to be babysat early, or even all game, because they usually have low survivability and bad poking.

wildfire393

01-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho Hill View Post
I was reading a thread and people were ragging on this guy because he only plays "carries" and I got to thinking.

In my solo queue experience I would have to say that the "carries" are the champs that have the hardest time "carrying".

I mean when a carry gets fed in a game it makes the other team sometimes quit cause they think its over, but I would argue that tanks or supports or off tank/supports are much more useful in games (especially long games)

I've definately seen a rammus or morde carry a team to victory

I've played as Janna with bad teams and carried them to wins.

I used to play Twitch and I know for a fact that I got over 30 kills in 4 different games, and not one of those times did we win (i told my buddy it was the "30 kill curse".

Thoughts?
DPS carries have a hard time actually carrying if the enemy team is intelligent and has a lot of crowd control. They are still quite dependent on the tank to run in and eat CC, the mage to CC the enemy carry, etc.

There are very few characters in the game capable of straight up winning the game for their team, no matter what, once sufficiently farmed and fed. Olaf is one of these, as he is entirely immune to Crowd Control during his ult, meaning that no matter how hard the enemy team could shut down a normal carry, he can own during that duration. Tryndamere is another, due to his 6 seconds of invulnerability (though I have long games with a Tryndamere on my team due to him just being generally bad, and the enemy team having Trist + Kog + multiple other knockbacks to force him to ult without being close every fight).
The only other ones I can think of would be Pantheon and Twisted Fate, due to the fact that eventually they can just ult into a backdoor on anything.

Japanadian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

80% wins with sona and Olaf in ranked, so your theory works for me