The almighty solo lane...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Altoidz

01-13-2011

I'm honestly trying to figure out why some view the solo lane as ... well, just were they always need to be. Gotta love the classic pick Tryn, insta lock, me mid. Is it the independence, or the level and farming advantage that makes solo lane so desirable? These things seem fairly trivial in the late game and I find I pick up more kills in a side lane since you and your partner can focus one. At any rate, please guys, consider as a team who mids. Don't just lock a carry and call it. Think about which champ needs the solo lane the most or which has the most relevant skills in team fights. Consider who, if fed, will be most likely to tip the game in your favor. I often advocate giving shen a solo lane for the same reason karthus should be solo every time ever. Just food for thought guys and sorry if there's been a billion other similar threads before this.

To be clear since I fail at writing. I'm not trying to offer a guide on who should solo and why. I'm just pointing out that the solo lane seems to offer a certain mystique to some folks and advocating more team discussion on who goes were.

Twilíght

01-13-2011

That was a huge block of herp.

Honestly I think everyone who picks a ranged carry and cries "I MID!!!" Is just an ADHD 12 year old from California that just can't wait the extra minutes to get to 6 and thinks their hot **** when they go mid.

I've had people say "I'm good when I go mid." or state the obvious that "I level faster if I go mid." and this is Blitz talking, I think Anivia would be much happier mid.

BriefEternity

01-13-2011

Please read your thread before you post it next time.

Criid

01-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoidz View Post
Don't just lock a carry and call it. ... Consider who, if fed, will be most likely to tip the game in your favor.

That is, by definition, a carry. There ARE a lot of different mids out there you see in 5 man premades. There are a lot of different High ELO mids as well, I've regularly seen xin zhao and yi mids do well (on streams). Mid can fulfill a lot of things for a team, but traditionally the idea of it is to get as much farm as possible to be the better carry for your team while simultaneously gimping the other's.

Sfyri Ithikos

01-13-2011

There are a few reasons why the solo lane can be important:
1) Ults-when someone takes the solo lane it means they get the experience all to themselves, meaning level 6 is hit much earlier then the duo lane, especially if the solo gets a kill. for certain champs that's all they need to start dominating the field, so letting them rush to level 6 is one of the best things you can do for your team
2) Gold-it may not seem like much but if a player is able to effectively last hit all the minions in the wave, kills aside, they can potentially get their build up and running early which, like with ults, may end up being all that is needed.
3) Lanes-a solo does mean you're by yourself but it also means that you can have 2 people against you. This means that while you're out numbered 2 to 1, the rest of their team is out numbered 4 to 3. This means there are more possibilities for early kills and turrets, which can lead to an easier time late game.

Either way, just a few things i kind of wanted to point out. It makes things go quicker for that 1 person and means that outside of your lane, your team is technically at a player advantage

Sturg86

01-13-2011

tryndamere carries prettymuch the hardest of every char ingame, as long as he isnt feeding their mid, id be perfectly happy for him to have 2 levels and 1k gold lead on the rest of the enemy team.

InfinityD

01-13-2011

I went mid as tristana a week or two ago in a premade. We played another premade, and when i see Soraka show up mid, i giggled a little bit.

She had a hard time in lane against me despite being pretty **** good, but she really turned the game around for her team later on.

Dezvul Xenillith

01-13-2011

yeah people want it because of better xp and farming, and in high elo to focus down one champion bottom almost doesn't exist because both teams will play very well.

personally i luv the solo lane but i am in complete agreement with you, who needs it most on the team, i don't just take it every time i try to get the most effective champ there

im assuming you mean the top lane in the case of having a jungler (some people may think you are talking about mid).

it really depends, a tank can be up there or a carry can, but in many occasions the mage gets it (i watch alot of the high elo games), it is commonly best to have somebody who typically get in a good early/mid game to have top, also usually you shouldn't have a melee in the solo lane because as top, you are typically further from your turret and if you have to run up to the minions to kill them that's more range given for the jungler to run you down.

overall usually no melee (unless a tank but thats less common), usually AP champion with a strong early game (a bonus is usually the AP champs have more cc than the carries top lane is further from the turrets so again its easier to gank). Often you will have an AP champ mid and a ranged carry top instead.

if you are unsure why top should be the solo lane it's because of the placement of the dragon and the baron, in the laning phase the baron will rarely be killed but there will be wards from the teams infront of the dragon, early game people WILL kill the dragon which gives your team a significant advantage, incase the enemies go for the dragon OR your allies do, there will be a team fight or you will give up an advantage, if one team has 2 people bot 1 top, and the other team has 2 people top and 1 bottom then there will be 3 potential champions to hit the dragon on the team that has a solo bottom (solo mid lane, solo bot lane, and jungler) and 4 potential champions to hit the dragon on the team with a duo bottom lane (solo mid lane, duo bot lane, and jungler)

Dezvul Xenillith

01-13-2011

by the way i feel that i need to state that it is not always the person who has the best endgame, carries although, are the best guys to have fed it is more than that, it is also partially how the team will do throughout the entire thing, beginning-game, mid-game, and endgame, a carry if a good player on a good team (as long as this isn't that bad game that all pros have occasionally) should do well endgame without being solo lane, but also sometimes it is important to have one who needs farm more to have a strong late game- such as the mages

further more i would like to again state that, I'm pretty sure he is not talking about mid, but instead about top lane which, with a jungler, is typically the "solo lane"

GPEternity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

Some champions rely on a level advantage early to swing the game in their favor, Cait and Panth come to mind. Xin Zhao really shines when he's over leveled. Compare to some other champions who are more gold dependent and less about levels (Ashe/MF).