True Elo - Riot still hasn't figured it out. (Solo Queue)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crellin

01-13-2011

Match making leads to champion selects which leads to easy game vs impossible game which most often leads straight to elo hell which none of us will ever dig our way out of.

Can it be fixed? Can match making truely work as intended and match real balanced players together?

True elo is required. And match making must not only utilize true elo but must also create a champion select scenerio which is 100% in line with true elo.

What is tru elo? It isn't current elo we know that. How many of us are stuck in 1200 or lower, with best elo of 1500+? How many of us are matched with inexperienced, less than 50 ranked games played people, when we've not only been in 1500 elo before, but we've played well over 200 games.

So how do you fix it, how do you bring about true elo?

We all know no one wants to lose a game, then go through their teammates and find out that half of them were 100+ rating less than the highest person. No 1356 wants to find out they lost and there's 1224 rated people on his team. So step one is to brack ratings in XX00 groupings, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200, etc etc.

Step two, beginner ranked vs veteran ranked. Two seperate devisions. Divided by number of wins in ranked. Fifty or less wins for beginner ranked, on teams with purely 50 or less wins players. Fifty or more wins, and you get into the Veteran Queue and with these two seperate Queue's no one should wind up on a team with first timers or barely even tried ranked players, after their fiftieth win. This also allows them to establish a base elo before moving into veteran games.

Third and final step. Order champion selection by best elo's. Not current elo's. If my best ever elo of 1500 means i'm the first pick in champion select in every game of my 1100 elo hell, then that is exactly what will give me the absolute best chance of making it out of elo hell and back to 1500 where I belong.

So seriously Riot. Do we really have to wait till Season 2, which apparently isn't even really a season anyway? Cause right now it looks like you're doing yearly leagues instead of seasonal ones. And since this is the first one, why not use it to tweak and fix your match making and champion select so that you can actually say its finally the best it's going to get and then finally shut down Season 1 and move onto a whole new season.

Please for the love of god FIX IT!

Hotdogs

01-13-2011

sounds alright, i think one of the main problems is duo queues

Shiresk

01-13-2011

I like the beginner/veteran idea.

Slaith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

I like these ideas, and I've got one for the duo queue problem people seem to be getting at.

make every premade a team with its separate elo. you start with like an average of you and your teammate's elo(or whatever calculation between your teams' elos) and from that you go up or down accordingly. this way, even if duo queues get an advantage, in due time this will be taken into account. it also helps taking into account that you don't have the same level of synergy with all people you play with.

Saffire

01-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiresk View Post
I like the beginner/veteran idea.
"Ranked newbie island" actually used to be in, and broke at some point a few patches ago and no one realized it. It'll be fixed next patch.

For the first point, what's the difference between matching a 1200 with a 1299 player, and a 1250 with a 1349 player? You say the second is bad so Riot should do the first, but I don't see how that makes sense.

Matchmaking by your highest ever rating is just a bad idea. What if you're a 1200 player that got carried to 1400 and then fell back down? You'll lose forever.

rpcarpentergirl

01-13-2011

The only way to fix ELO is to remove it.

An ELO rating system is intended for individual games (i.e. Chess. YOU vs a single opponent). It is not effective in a team based game such as LoL and will never work properly no matter how they tweak the rating system.

Sheenah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

@OP
Or maybe you were at 1500 because you got lucky, not because you belong there?