How to make Wit's End more buyable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morzas

01-08-2010

Wit's End is a very situational item. Would Wit's End still be balanced if it did one or more of the following:

1: Drain mana from the target and give it to the attacker rather than just burning it?

This option could be potentially imbalanced. Characters like Ashe or Corki would have very little reason to buy Chalice of Harmony ever again. The amount of mana drained would have to be lowered for this option to be balanced, and even then it might be too good. I'd like to hear what you all think about this option.

2: Was kept the way it is right now, but burned an additional amount of mana?

Currently, pretty much everyone buys Catalyst the Protector. You can't ever make someone run out of mana with Wit's End because of this. But, what if Wit's End burned an extra amount of (non-damaging) mana, a flat amount or a percentage? The item would become a viable method of mana-screwing enemies in a team fight. Would this be too powerful? Please discuss your thoughts on this.

3: Dealt pure damage?

I think this would make the item a lot more useful, personally. The magic damage on Wit's End is way too easily soaked up by commonly purchased items and is anti-synergistic with a lot of item builds. In a damage build, you can buy a Last Whisper to make all of your items work well against tanks. To make Wit's End worthwhile again, you have to get a Void Staff (lolwut) or use really, really bad items or runes for DPS characters (Haunting Guise, Sorcerer's Shoes, Magic Penetration runes).

4: Dealt the damage regardless of the target having mana?

As the item is, it's useless against Tryndamere, Katarina, Doctor Mundo and certain kinds of neutral creeps.

I'd like to hear what you all think about the current Wit's End. I think it's rarely bought for the following reasons / possible misconceptions (two of these are things that I haven't confirmed)

1: The damage on it can't crit (not sure)
2: The damage on it can't proc life steal (not sure)
3: It deals magic damage (everyone gets merc treads // banshee's veil)
4: The other Recurve Bow options are strictly better (Last Whisper, Stark's and Bloodrazor are all strictly better)

zimbie

01-08-2010

I am at my Witt's end trying to think of something better...

klorinator

Adjudicator

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post

2: Was kept the way it is right now, but burned an additional amount of mana?

Currently, pretty much everyone buys Catalyst the Protector. You can't ever make someone run out of mana with Wit's End because of this. But, what if Wit's End burned an extra amount of (non-damaging) mana, a flat amount or a percentage? The item would become a viable method of mana-screwing enemies in a team fight. Would this be too powerful? Please discuss your thoughts on this.

3: Dealt pure damage?

I think this would make the item a lot more useful, personally. The magic damage on Wit's End is way too easily soaked up by commonly purchased items and is anti-synergistic with a lot of item builds. In a damage build, you can buy a Last Whisper to make all of your items work well against tanks. To make Wit's End worthwhile again, you have to get a Void Staff (lolwut) or use really, really bad items or runes for DPS characters (Haunting Guise, Sorcerer's Shoes, Magic Penetration runes).
I think it should burn 100 mana and deal the target pure damage equivalent to 50% of the mana removed.

Or maybe it could be damage based "Your attacks burn mana equal to 50% of your attack damage on every hit" The price would have to be lowered since this would offer no damage but it would increase the utility of the passive for auto attacking champions.