[Suggestion]Flip camera angle for purple team

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Mandingo

08-06-2011

bump

Tet

08-07-2011

This needs to be addressed. Soon. I'm surprised it hasn't been.

Braymounth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I agree with this topic, wholeheartedly.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with every possible 'solution' brought up, but the fact of the matter is this: Purple team is at a disadvantage on SR.

Even though it was well over 4 months ago, I remember my first game playing as Purple. Let me tell you, it was one of the most jarring experiences I've ever had in gaming. At the time I was playing Morgana a lot, and I remember going bottom lane. What threw me off the most was how often my skill shot ended up in my UI. I did eventually learn I can shrink it, but we all know that if you shrink it too much you can't read a single number on the bloody thing.
What also got me was guarding my turret. When you're guarding the turret in bottom lane on Purple, the enemies are advancing from directly below you; that's directly underneath your UI.
I felt scared all the time, because other champs with skill shots could hit me just out of turret range, when I couldn't even target them because they were standing right under my UI.

Attacking the Blue turret in top lane is the same; I'm always afraid to get too close out of fear of a skill shot I cannot see being fired at me from just under my UI. It always requires me getting dangerously close to the turret, even as a ranged champ.

Now, I know what some people will say to all this: "You're just a noob! Unlock your camera and stop whining!"
Well, first of all, anyone to do that is blatantly immature. Now, as for the real counter-point to that: Yes, I could unlock my camera, but that is a very different style of game-play, and I'm sorry, but I'm just no good at it. I constantly move my camera too far with only a slight mouse movement, I always find myself frantically trying to get myself back in camera range, and all of this leads to me not being able to focus on actually playing as much. I also know that there are plenty of other players that feel this way.

To anyone who simply denies that Blue has an advantage in SR, think again, because even Riot has admitted that they do, in this thread: this thread

Quote:
- Blue team on summoner's rift ONLY is considered as having an advantage, and will tend to be the weaker of the two teams now to even things out. This advantage is being rated at about 25 elo points. We reached this conclusion by using various statistical techniques on a very large set of games. We aren't sure why this is the case, but hey, the data tells us it in the case. Prevailing theories of this advantage are related to camera view (blue has better 'aggressive' camera view since you can see more to the north), nashor escape routes (blue has 3, purple has 2), and blue middle tower coverage (purple cant run in front of it, while blue can run in front of purple tower from the river).
Okay, so they 'solved' the problem by making the team that plays Blue "tend to be the weaker" and dishing out some extra ELO points (I'm not actually sure which team gets them, to be honest). But, this is only for ranked games. Maybe this does even things out in ranked games, but it doesn't do squat for normal games.

LoL, like most games, is supposed to be about having fun and enjoying yourself. So, fix things that affect normal games first, then balance out ranked. Don't cater to just your competitive crowd, Riot; help out the average players just trying to have a good time.

Sailor Twift

08-09-2011

No for the hundredth freaking time, Purple and Blue have the EXACT SAME FIELD OF VIEW. Your objectives are at different spots on the map, yes, but the only difference that makes is where you have to move your camera. That's it. GG, unlock your camera, now get off the QQ boards and go play Twisted Treeline if you still can't get over it.

theunknowned

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

lol you wouldnt like it if you were forced to play locked screen....get over urself toothman...The field of view is not the same lol...ur skillshots from top are stretched off the screen when going down (or even diagonally in most cases....troll is troll...the thread is a suggestion and the people replying screaming about it are no reason for you to act the same way but from the opposite viewpoint

Sailor Twift

08-09-2011

it's amazing how you can read my post, play the game, and still cling to conclusion bias. everyone's camera is tilted at the same angle with the same field of view. if your objectives are lower on the map, you move your camera lower. done.

/thread

and no one is "forced to play locked screen" jesus christ man, the camera lock feature is a training wheel. moba's are basically rts's, and how many people played starcraft or warcraft with their cameras lock? if you play with the camera locked, the angle of the camera is not the biggest thing holding you down.

PockiiStyle

08-09-2011

I agree that the camera angle has to be adjusted. Why should the purple team be forced to move their camera around all the time when the blue can hit their skillshots and everything without moving it?

Braymounth

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Toothman View Post
how many people played starcraft or warcraft with their cameras lock?
Are you really comparing Starcraft, a game where you control a large number on different units and have to be constantly building, to LoL? That's a terrible comparison, as they have completely different play styles.

And thanks for actually reading my post: I said that I, and many other people, find it very difficult to play with the cameras unlocked. I hardly think it's fair that you need to unlock your camera to play Purple team as well as you play on Blue team with the camera locked. I'm sorry if I'm not a good enough player to play unlocked, but that's the way it is for a lot of people.

Also, you're completely ignoring the points about the UI. Yes, we have the same amount of visible area on our screens, but the fact of the matter is that the UI doesn't block out part of the Blue team's objective direction.

Quote:
I agree that the camera angle has to be adjusted. Why should the purple team be forced to move their camera around all the time when the blue can hit their skillshots and everything without moving it?
^This.

The fact of the matter is, moving the camera around with either the mouse or the arrow keys is one more addition to complexity. Sure, it can give you an advantage, but only if you're skilled enough to use it. That's the trade off. I don't think that everyone playing on Purple should be forced to take the more difficult option when Blue doesn't have it.
Can you say it's fair to new players to have to play Purple? No. Don't even try to tell me that you think it's right to insult them just because they can't handle playing LoL at a good level while also controlling the camera unlocked.

What it comes down to is the fact that everyone agreeing to this thread has a point, and people like you, Toothman, are just coming in here to act like you're better than all of us because you can play with the camera unlocked. Well la-dee-da for you, sir, but some of us more casual and less asinine players just want to enjoy them game, without having what team we're on make it more or less difficult for us.

Inorashi

08-09-2011

All i see is people blaming thier losses on a "dissadvantage" of camera angle, what about the fact that the purple team can get behind baron for a steal?

Braymounth

08-09-2011

That is fair, and I'll totally admit that my team and I have stolen baron a few times from behind.

I'm not actually complaining about losing, I'm stating that it's simply more difficult for the majority of game play while on Purple team. If you reread any of my posts you'll notice that I never once actually said anything about losing; I just talked about why Purple is at a disadvantage.