Need opinions for this Malphite item build!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

01-07-2010

Starter: Doran's Shield + HP Pot
1. Guardian Angel
2. Ninja Tabi
3. Aegis
4. Madred's Bloodrazor
5. Wit's End
6. Starter -> Banshee's

These items are all somewhat tank stuff, what I would like everyone to pay attention to are items 4 & 5, these both give attack speed and armor / magic resistance which aren't that bad at all. It also puts you on the offensive, since you're doing magic damage from the razors, and mana deduction from Wit's.

What do you think?

miltow

01-07-2010

Guardian Angel imo isn't a viable item to build early due to the cost of the materials

RamboBatman

01-07-2010

1. Ninja tabi, while cheaper, are usually much worse than Mercury Treads. If you happen to be facing an all physical team without a lot of cc they can be good but, otherwise Treads are really the tank boots of choice.
2. I like starting with Doran's Shield a lot but, if you're planning to build several items that require Cloth Armor, it may be better to start with one of those and an extra potion or 2.
3. Know if you're going to be building Banshee's Veil early in the game and, if so, build catalyst asap. There are some teams where Banshee's is a waste either because they can drop off the shield too easily or, they don't have a lot of magic damage. In these cases you should work on a more physical defense item like Frozen Heart/Thornmail
4. Guardian Angel is good only if you have a good chance of getting away with your extra life. You don't have a ton of HP in this build and Malphite really doesn't have a great escape mechanism so I'd consider replacing it or waiting until the end of the game when a single death could set you back enough to make the GA a good investment.

Lumaca

01-07-2010

Why no frozen heart? Huge CD redux, huge armor bonus, and extra mana. Doesn't cost that much either.

Mortenya

01-07-2010

start with 1/2 of a catalyst. i prefer sapphire +2 hp pots. i also often take exhaust/clarity and run with 9/0/21. allows good harass with shard.

finish catalyst first.
after that, get merc treads
veil
frozen heart
then something like soul shroud or thornemail, or even GA.

that normally works well for me.

Bachasaur

01-07-2010

I think you need to focus on one idea, either tank or dps, that said both are fine choices for Malphite. I would remove Wits End from your items and replace it with Last Whisper, because the getting Wits as the 6th slot will take away for the mana drain aspect.

Ideas for tanking. I usually run Malphite as a tank. I start with a health crystal and farm up 2 hearts of gold, which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet. This brings me to ninja tabi or merc treads, depending on the other team. I grab a Warmogs and usually one Sunfire Cape. The last items are up to your preferences and what the team needs. If we need some pushing another Sunfire, if my team needs some damage I grab an Atma's. If your getting crushed by an over fed Yi I get Thornmail, lots of magic get a Force of Nature, and lastly Guardian is another option to think about. This is whats currently working for me.

Klazzix

01-07-2010

Need more opinions specifically about items 4 & 5 namely Madred's and Wit's on Malphite. Let's not talk about the item order, it's pretty much common sense that you need to adjust to your opponents.