MOBA - Skill Sets

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HOY 2 THE WORLD

01-10-2011

What is the difference between a 1200, 1600 and 2k ELO?

What makes a good player... good?

Before we begin -- these definitions are meant to be used as a guide to define yourself as a MOBA player, what you are excel and fail at, and hopefully create an environment for you to more efficiently gain skill.
You can do sit ups all day and never get a 6 pack. (There are more efficient ways to get better! )

Skillsets required for the MOBA genre:

Basics -
What is a MOBA, why is League of Legends a MOBA?
What is the goal of the game? How do you win?
What are champions? What do they do?
What are summoners? What do they do?
What are masteries and runes? What do they do?
What are items? What do they do?
What are neutrals, creeps, dragon and baron?

Awareness -
Awareness is efficiency.

There are multiple types of awareness -- Ability, Item and Map awareness.
Ability awareness: Efficient management of abilities. (awareness x skills)
Item awareness: Efficient management of gold. (builds!) (awareness x gold)
Map awareness: Efficient management of position. (awareness x map)

Last Hitting -
Although last hitting seems like it would be a part of Ability awareness, it is better suited as its own skill set.

Synergy -
Synergy is understanding how heroes "play" against, and with other heroes. Syngery is a very large strategic portion of the MOBA genre. (Seen in picks)

Basic example: A 1800 twitch player loses to a 1500 pantheon mid solo, why?
Janna Shen is a strong duo lane, why?

Teamwork -
Abilitiy to co-operate and have fun with your teamates.

Now to put this all together.

The average LoL Solo Que player
Has a sound understanding of the basics. 6/10
Has a decent understanding of awareness. 5/10
Is good at last hitting. 7/10
Rarely thinks of synergy. 2/10
Bad team player. 2/10

22/50!
If only synergy and teamplay was higher, eh?

Why do I rate the average LoL player as such?
A newcomer to LoL levels 0-30, in normal games(blind pick) where he never has to think about synergy, but is infatuated and surrounded by lessons of the basics, awareness and last hitting. Suddenly, our newbie reaches level 30, and is thrown into draft mode -- where he is expected to think critically about picks.

At the very best, the normal games to level 30 will prepare you to understand the importance of AD, AP solos, and a jungle, perhaps also the value of a tank.

Unfortunately for our newbie, he only gets about a 5 minute lesson every game about synergy -- during picks. While he gets a full games worth lesson about awareness, last hitting, and basics.

The combination of the short picking time allowed in ranked play, and absolute ignorant play style of blind pick paves the road of a poor understanding of synergy for our average LoL player.

As for the lack of teamwork, its mainly due to the internet and human nature.

So step back a second and define yourself as a MOBA player. Embrace your strong points, and work on your weaknesses. Make League of Legends a better game.

- Chaox

Sykomyke

01-10-2011

^Arbitrary numbers, boring diatribe, latent undertones of self-centered personality. Did I miss anything?

hydrogencar

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
^Arbitrary numbers, boring diatribe, latent undertones of self-centered personality. Did I miss anything?
Don't think so.

ExoiCal

01-10-2011

leadership from mobas comes from an intense understanding of the strategy within the game- when to push, when to back, when to take dragon, when to get baron, where to position for a gank, etc. etc.

it's not something the average player can pick up. I've been playing mobas for atleast 6 years now. My cumulative experience gives me the skills i need to lead teams. However, three years ago, i probably wouldn't have been able to. why? maturity.

so including leadership in there is kinda bad. usually the person whose dominating leads the team anyways.

HOY 2 THE WORLD

01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Thanks for the compliments

WorstAlistarEver

12-18-2012

funny

The Darkener

12-18-2012

Guys, we're obviously supposed to use these arbitrary numbers, boring diatribe and latent undertones of self-centered personality to rate ourselves.

I'll start:

Understanding of the basics: 11/10
Overall awareness: 13/10
Last hitting ability: 51/10
Consideration of synergy: 12/10
Team play: 13/10

100/50!
What an outstanding score!