Critiques of a Nobody:Items E+F

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arixa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2011

Hello I am a nobody. Just a player passionate about design and discussion. So in an effort to generate discussion on design I decided to offer my perspective in a series of critiques. Let me know if you agree or disagree and I will try to discuss any arguments people bring up.

For these critiques the key topics in my writing will be clarity of purpose and aesthetic feel. I may call for buffs to abilities on someone already powerful or nerfs to something on a champion that is weak. The other major consideration in game health.

Links to all the other critiques: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...71#post4825971

Todayís Topic: Items E and F

Elixir of Agility: Feels like what an agi pot should do, has good AD synergy, not a powerful early game option. This is a pretty big hit to me design wise.

Elixir of Brilliance: While I realize mana is a lot worse than health it bothers me that this and fortitude pot arenít mirrors of each other stat wise(AP and mana, AD and life). Instead it has CDR on it which is not super noticeable(and half the time you are capped on the stat anyway).

Elixir of Fortitude: I like that they have been pushing this pot away from its early game stomp role. As a late game pot this is probably the one I am most interested in buying at any given time because of the health on it. The health also gives it some cool(though certainly annoying from the other side) baiting options where you actually have 300 more health than you appear.

Emblem of Valor: Why does this item exist? It only builds into starks. I canít think of any reason someone would want it by itself. Is it just to make it easier to carry the Starkís pieces in your inventory? Maybe to drive up Starkís cost?

Executionerís Calling: I love this implementation of the healing reduction debuff. First off its an in game item you choose to buy, trading traditional power for a counter. Secondly since its an item you get to choose whether you have it after champion select so you donít have to rely on lucking into a pick on one of the healing debuff champs when the other team has Soraka for instance. The interactions with stuff like life steal are kind of lame(if my understanding is correct it doesnít reduce lifesteal). CD feels a little short(my suggestion would be 30 or 40 seconds).

Faerie Charm: This is simply too small or meki pendant is not large enough. They feel like they are running into each other in the same space. Faerie charm is the one I would change because no one really ever wants just one of these sitting in their inventory. I think you could probably just delete it and make all the items it builds into build off meki pendant.

Fiendish Codex: Iíve always been a big fan of this item and before kindle gem this used to be one of my favorite items to build on a caster. Decent AP, some cool down reduction and some mana regen. Cool down reduction is in general oddly hard to itemize for, even though its arguably the most inherently fun stat(using your abilities more is always more fun).

Force of Nature: Bleh. Iíve talked about my distaste for pure defensive items and this item is one of the worst offenders. Building this is a giant ďscrew youĒ to enemy casters. It has massive MR and the hp regen completely destroys their ability to harass you. To top it off you get move speed to catch and kill the slow moving mage. At least it doesnít also have health on it something like that.

Frozen Heart: The value of this aura is really hard to convey. A 20% attack speed slow is pretty powerful(if their team is very AD centric anyway) but it certainly feels non-existent. This item seems to pull in two different ways pretty oddly. On one side its a mana and CDR item(which is nice). On the other side its armor and attack speed slow(which is a very nice defensive item). I think that with Randuinís in game(another armor, CDR, attack speed slow item, that is also more active), that frozen heart probably needs an update.

Frozen Mallet: And we arrive at perma slow on a stick. This(and Rylaiís to some degree) are very very frustrating items to play against. Iím glad itís at least not a high powered offensive item outside of the slow because this thing is brutal especially on long range champions like Tristanna and Caitlyn. At least its consistent, phage(and trinity force) are much more annoying because the purchaser canít rely on them and they randomly screw the defender by proccing over and over again.

Crazy Davee

01-09-2011

you should have tried to put it in all one thread

Space Marine Guy

01-09-2011

ok

Arixa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Davee View Post
you should have tried to put it in all one thread
What all the items together? Or do you mean all the critiques in one thread?

All the critiques in one thread is a nightmare to navigate and to control the flow of conversation. I already have the problem where in some critiques one champion or item completely dominates the entire conversation.

Kouri

01-09-2011

Interesting to see your opinions on this, although I do wish it was all in one thread so I don't have to go searching for the previous ones now.

Also it seems you play mostly casters from your descriptions, although possibly an AD carry or two as well.

Edit: found the link to your critiques.

Arixa

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
Interesting to see your opinions on this, although I do wish it was all in one thread so I don't have to go searching for the previous ones now.

Also it seems you play mostly casters from your descriptions, although possibly an AD carry or two as well.

Edit: found the link to your critiques.
Ya sorry about having to link around to them its just so much easier to control the conversations that way. Maybe some day I'll do a giant bunch of editing and post it all into one massive hub thread.

Lol, you know this is really really funny. I almost never play casters. I play mostly junglers(usually tank ones) and ranged carries. Here's why, people don't like taking those roles, at least in my ELO brackets. People really like playing mages and melee dps(worst possible things to pick in terms of team synergy).