5v5 Solo Queue Ranked - Luck or Skill?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartyr View Post
Huh? Maybe Twisted Treeline, but I don't see how one player in a 10-person game could ever be a 90% factor...

Too much math, someone get Heimerdinger.
If you're significantly better than your opponents, and you play well, I find you win about 80% of your games.

In my last 27 games, I've lost 8 times. I DIDN'T carry 3 out of those 8 games (in other words I played badly and didn't deserve to win). So as I see it around 70-90% chance to win if you're better than your opponents.

EbonyKnife

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartyr View Post
Huh? Maybe Twisted Treeline, but I don't see how one player in a 10-person game could ever be a 90% factor...
Because if your that much better than everyone else at that ELO, you should be able to beat the **** out of them.

mrmuffyman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2011

luck mostly.
i just got conveyor belted down to 1200's by just awful games with awful teammates, and the catalyst was a duo queue of intentional feeders.

im kinda stuck here now (slowly getting out). someone duo queue with me and help me out.

Thunderbox

01-09-2011

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and a 100% reason to remember the name.

ShadowOrigin

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyKnife View Post
A bit of both, weighted towards skill obviously.

As much as you can say that you can't control 4 other players, you always get 4 feeders while they are all pros with smurf accounts, matchmaking and generally randomness ensures an overtime even matchup, which means for every game you have a feeder, there will be a game where the enemy has a feeder. A good player can capitalize on these opportunitys and increase elo.
Pretty much this.

xavarn

01-09-2011

I would say this. The higher your ELO goes, the more skill; becomes a factor.

This means that the 1200-1300 range are really slow to move in and out of both up and down and are a safety zone because you can be **** and get carried up and then fall back down, or be pro, carry up and then get carried back down.

Once you get to the 1400's i've noticed that if you are a good player you will go on massive winning streaks. (10 game for me lol).

And same at the higher ELO's until you hit a duo queue on your team with someone 200 elo lower than you.

TL;DR

The higher your ELO the more skill becomes a factor.

Haxxxalot

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbox View Post
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and a 100% reason to remember the name.
must...listen...to...that...song...now... **** you

DonVadim

01-09-2011

Pure luck.

HTFU

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego Ignaxio View Post
pretty sure the point we're getting at about lucky being the primary deciding factor in solo queue is that you can't actually teamwork with half the people you get paired with because they have as much luck as you.
And im pretty sure you're the type of person that rages about MM and Elo and such right? Furthermore despite the hyperbole luck really has nothing to do w/ it. Team work wins games if you get a team that does not want to play together then move on.

Most of the qq stems from the normal game community or the low ranked community so, imo you don't really have anything to complain about because everyone peddles the im a "casual gamer" yet they qq about this being OP, that being UP, Elo is ****, MM hates me! Honestly the amount of hypocrisy and exaggeration is quite simply beyond laughable.

MedicalFrontier

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFU View Post
And im pretty sure you're the type of person that rages about MM and Elo and such right? Furthermore despite the hyperbole luck really has nothing to do w/ it. Team work wins games if you get a team that does not want to play together then move on.

Most of the qq stems from the normal game community or the low ranked community so, imo you don't really have anything to complain about because everyone peddles the im a "casual gamer" yet they qq about this being OP, that being UP, Elo is ****, MM hates me! Honestly the amount of hypocrisy and exaggeration is quite simply beyond laughable.
You're attacking me for nothing, I'm not complaining about it. I'm saying it's mostly about luck. I've been doing ranked for a week or so and I'm currently at 1550 and climbing. I'm a good player but you can't carry random terrible people, it's not happening.

For example right now I'm watching Roku's stream and we've got a, 1850+ shen who's AFKing in base on purpose to lose, a TF who picked a random champion because he couldn't get his way by playing sion that keeps typing in z's and **** talking his own team, a jungling nunu who died in the first 5 minutes and a Sion who's overextended and been ganked repeatedly throughout the game, causing the shen to AFK. You get bad people everywhere, it's how lucky you are about getting them along with how well you deal with them that gets you higher rated.

Like I said, solo queue isn't about which team has the better team comp and how skilled you are individually. It's about which team has the worst players.