5v5 Solo Queue Ranked - Luck or Skill?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MedicalFrontier

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXByakuyaXx View Post
fail argument.

you are just as likely as your opponents to get baddies or in your word, "****ed people"
I'm perfectly aware of that, which is why I said the determining factor in who wins is which teams has less ******ed people.

YG FAMILY

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2011

100% luck

Kartyr

01-09-2011

It really does feel like it's always a battle between the two worst people in the game, rather than the two best.

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-09-2011

Depends how far you are from your "true ELO".

If you're exactly where you should be, it's around 20% skill. If you're 200 ELO lower than you should be, I'd say it's 80-90% skill.

Da Mafia 6ix

01-09-2011

id say 50% luck 50% skill.

if you are good enough, you WILL rise in ranks, after enough games

Mercuryy

01-09-2011

Well considering the hands-down top players in this game (the ones that participate in tournaments etc.) are not stuck in "elo hell" than I'm going to have to go with skill.

Kartyr

01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
Depends how far you are from your "true ELO".

If you're exactly where you should be, it's around 20% skill. If you're 200 ELO lower than you should be, I'd say it's 80-90% skill.
Huh? Maybe Twisted Treeline, but I don't see how one player in a 10-person game could ever be a 90% factor...

Too much math, someone get Heimerdinger.

Styraxx

01-09-2011

i say 50/50 but the outcome is influenced by other things like idiots, leavers etc.

TiltedAxis

01-09-2011

Its completely skill, think about it, if you think it goes by luck because of ****ty teammates or whatever, then you must factor in it happens to your enemies as well, so that leaves a few games that can go either way, your job is to make as many of those wins as u can, thats where ur skill comes in and determines ur ELO

Garresh

01-09-2011

My theory, based on my win rate in ranked with my best character, and the win rates of other players I know with their best character:

You can swing the victory chance of a game by about 10%, tops. That's 50% win rate to 60% win rate if you play your best. The probability of feeders and trash is equal on both sides.

Therefore, you have to play 5-10 games to the absolute BEST of your ability to get 1-2 wins worth of rating increase. The best strategy is to play your absolute best even in games that seem to be certain losses, and never surrender. Play a lot, and play champs you're good at. Don't lose morale. Don't throw games.

A single queue dodge will cost you 20 rating points, which is effectively like 14 games worth of rating increase after averaging out how much you actually influence a game.

Solo ranked isn't a skill test. It's a skill + endurance test. =/