Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

5v5 Solo Queue Ranked - Luck or Skill?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haxxxalot

01-09-2011

The great debate begins.

Now, my personal experience in ranked is.... well its there. From being 1400+ to in the 400's and climbing back up again. The task was... well hell to be honest. Now ive witnessed rare occasions where skill actually can pull a team through a pubstomp early. Example today as Mundo i carried a team from what seemed to be a 25 min surrender to a win. Was incredibly hard, but doable. However, luck seems to play a bigger role in 5v5 Solo. Teams that dont work together, teamates that feed or arent the greatest at there champ seem to be more common then a player skilled enough to carry an entire game.

Duo queue is another thing all together when it falls into this. One person carrying another to raise there elo or the rare chance that both of them are amazing.... or the opposite. A pair of trolls looking to ruin a game.

In my oppinion 5v5 Solo ranked is based on luck. Look at your ranking. Do you deserve it or are you just lucky you got to that ranking. Think about that.

Whats your oppinion? Which is it? Luck or skill?

Swampf0x

01-09-2011

It obviously can't be both, because that would make no sense at all, amiright?

Kartyr

01-09-2011

80-90% luck, 1-2% skill.

Between 8-19% Mundo.

fELonius1

01-09-2011

Mostly skill with a bit of luck. Depends who you're good with. I find that my best bet for winning games is to jungle and try to get my teammates fed early, and keep control of dragon. A well played Udyr can win the game on his own in low-mid ELO. If you get nothing but "terrible teams", the only common denominator is probably you. I was pretty new to LoL, and this is my first MOBA, so I was stuck at 1200-1300 for the longest time, and belonged there. I've started playing better and trying a bit harder, and I'm slowly climbing up the 1400's. Of course, it helps that Udyr is my most played and they overbuffed him.

MedicalFrontier

01-09-2011

Roughly 80% luck. You can't carry in this game unfortunately, not even 2 fully fed people can carry a bad team.

I always argue that solo queue makeup isn't about which team has the better comp but which team has less ******ed people.

Deb

01-09-2011

Luck. Sometimes you get dumbasses who don't speak English and demand mid. Over-extend when there's a jungler and tower dive at level 3.

HTFU

01-09-2011

You're missing the point completely team work wins games. Roughly no matter what everyone thinks eveyone on your team is about the same skill level (not always the case there are exceptions) a person who is fantastical at a give hero, but is a bad team player is holding the team back.

Less qq about not being to individually carry, you shouldn't be able to individually carry. learn some teamwork.

MedicalFrontier

01-09-2011

Quote:
HTFU:
You're missing the point completely team work wins games. Roughly no matter what everyone thinks eveyone on your team is about the same skill level (not always the case there are exceptions) a person who is fantastical at a give hero, but is a bad team player is holding the team back.

Less qq about not being to individually carry, you shouldn't be able to individually carry. learn some teamwork.

pretty sure the point we're getting at about lucky being the primary deciding factor in solo queue is that you can't actually teamwork with half the people you get paired with because they have as much luck as you.

Devil May LOL

01-09-2011

Quote:
Ego Ignaxio:
Roughly 80% luck. You can't carry in this game unfortunately, not even 2 fully fed people can carry a bad team.

I always argue that solo queue makeup isn't about which team has the better comp but which team has less ******ed people.

fail argument.

you are just as likely as your opponents to get baddies or in your word, "****ed people"

besides, if ranked solo queue = luck then why the top 500 people pre season 1 are leading the ladderboard now? Shouldn't some of them get bad luck and end up at elo hell?

EbonyKnife

01-09-2011

A bit of both, weighted towards skill obviously.

As much as you can say that you can't control 4 other players, you always get 4 feeders while they are all pros with smurf accounts, matchmaking and generally randomness ensures an overtime even matchup, which means for every game you have a feeder, there will be a game where the enemy has a feeder. A good player can capitalize on these opportunitys and increase elo.