Should playing the same champion game after game be penalized?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Micr0Soft

01-06-2010

If new players start this game thinking people have mains like WOW it will slow the skill progression of new players is all im saying.

Quicktim3

01-06-2010

wow thats the dummest idea ive ever heard in my life

Micr0Soft

01-06-2010

Plenty of things in the gaming world have diminishing returns. Why not people who spam the same hero over and over. RWAR

Toros

01-06-2010

Ok, first of all, absolutely not. People pick up new heroes when they find another that appeals to them. Better players try out a variety of heroes anyway, and at the very least know a dps, a tank, and a support.

If you leave noob island, you'll have less problems with everyone fighting over yi, because he is "so OP"

Though personally, I've been able to get away with just a tank (alistar) and a support (taric), as the current meta is very friendly to dps heroes, and the ones I play are very uncommon (i believe in general) at least at my elo level.

I do agree with extra ip for random, but an -allrandom bracket would be completely worthless, as many matches would be decided by team comp.

Slide

01-06-2010

Id rather see an IP BONUS for as long as you are on a champion rotation streak.

Every game you play with a different champion continues your streak. Your streak ends when you use a champion who was already part of the streak.

It encourages new players to try out ALL the champs they can to get more IP.

It encourages old players to not play the same old champ as they get increased rewards for playing different ones.

Id be ok with that. I generally frown on penalties. Bonuses are always a better way to go.

Atomos21

01-06-2010

Turrable idea...
So they dont get to raise their elo while playing that champion after a certain point, yet they keep getting better with it. So when they do get their hero they play against other people and pwn them, which encourages them to continue to pick that hero to continue to win. Awesome idea.

INeedTibbers

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
Dumbest idea I've ever heard.
Unless Annie is excluded.

Shiny Carnage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneincher View Post
Playing same champion = getting good with that champion = win more games = higher elo = feeding when you pick a different champion

I think this is a significant contribution to the matchmaking problem. A lot of players tend to have a "main" champion and when that champion is taken or when they (hopefully) pick a different champion to meet the team's needs, they are more likely to feed because their elo is a representation of the play on the main champion.

I therefore think it should be encouraged to play a variety of champions, and perhaps the best way to do that is to discourage playing the same champion.

Perhaps after playing the same champion for 2-3 games in a row, a stacking IP/XP penalty should be imposed. For example, -10% ip/xp for each additional game played on the same champion after the grace period, capped at -50%.

Thoughts?

Absolutely, you should penalize me for being part of a team and fulfilling a role. You should also penalize yourself for not thinking before you post.

TiV3

01-06-2010

More IP for random champ or at least switching every game is something I'd love to see.

RiceMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

Playing same champion = getting good with that champion = win more games = higher elo = having fun

If they choose to only know one person it's up to them. Players shouldn't need incentive to play other characters. Once they learn the game they'll pick it up play try some people and stick with someone they like until they start really understanding the game. After that they'll branch out and have fun with other champions. Yes, it's not like that for everyone but if they main someone they can ask the team if someone can change since they suck with everyone else. IMO if you get that high of an elo then you should know enough about the game mechanics to play other champions decently.