Should playing the same champion game after game be penalized?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hoogamaphone

01-06-2010

I vote no because I like playing my favorite champion. I don't want to be penalized for playing him.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

01-06-2010

I'd rather see a minor incentive such as +10% IP/XP for playing a Champion that you haven't in the past 15-20 games.

Sc2ggRise

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micr0Soft View Post
Probably is one of the people who only have a MAIN.

Why is this the only moba community with mains?

NOt hon dota demigod
I have 5-6 that i play "regularly" with a rune set that works for all of them. many people have only 1 rune page and play the hero that they tailored that page to because they find them the most fun to play.

with that point, this game is meant to be played for fun, more than competition (hence the lack of mass ELO, and other QQs). Why should people be penalized for what they find to be the most fun if its not at another's expense? your question should be "why don't people try new heros in practice games first?"

Micr0Soft

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc2ggRise View Post
I have 5-6 that i play "regularly" with a rune set that works for all of them. many people have only 1 rune page and play the hero that they tailored that page to because they find them the most fun to play.

with that point, this game is meant to be played for fun, more than competition (hence the lack of mass ELO, and other QQs). Why should people be penalized for what they find to be the most fun if its not at another's expense? your question should be "why don't people try new heros in practice games first?"

Point taken.

Solus

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micr0Soft View Post
Probably is one of the people who only have a MAIN.

Why is this the only moba community with mains?

NOt hon dota demigod
Because any other moba doesn't have runes, masters, and summoner spells. The only customization other moba games has is items and the order in which you pick abilities. NOTHING ELSE is factored in. Also, in Dota a lot of people would pick the same hero over and over until they got good with them before moving on, or simply picking new heroes to learn them(As there wasn't really any other way to learn other heroes at the time)

LoL -started out- with a list detailing champion abilities and such, there is no incentive to play a champion to learn what it does, you can simply do a quick once or twice over of the champion page and have a basic jist of what they can all do. This isn't true for Dota because when everyone was still learning the game, there was no easily accessible hero list. As for HoN it's basically a rehash of Dota with a handful of new heroes, so it doesn't really count. I don't know Demigod so I can't comment on that.

Also, LoL has significantly more unique champions than dota/hon has heroes, with much more complex mechanics. It takes a lot longer to get good with a champion in LoL than it does for dota/hon. An extreme example is Karthus, who is a real ***** to play and master.

Reivur

01-06-2010

Why is everyone's reaction to anything slightly negative in this game to do an S&M Punish session? Someone quit que? GIVE THEM FULL LEAVES. Twitch got a multi kill? NERF INTO THE GROUND. Someone's backdooring? HAVE THE FOUNTAIN SHOOT AN ORBITAL LASER AT THEM.

If you really truly find this a problem PUNISHING a player for picking the same character is beyond stupid--especially when the game is based on unlocking characters. At worst you should make brackets based upon the performance a person has with a character.

Example: In Tekken you could be a 5th Dan with Leo, but that doesn't mean you know **** with Julia; you may very well be a kyu.

But even then this solution doesn't work because matchmaking makes it decision of who is pitted against who *before* the character select screen. What would be nice is a minimum amount of practice games needed to choose a character in matchmaking, and even then that in itself could be tedious to deal with.

Tyaeth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

I certainly would not continue supporting a game that expects me to play dozens of matches or pay real life money to unlock certain champions and then consequently not let me PLAY the champions that I purchased without taking a penalty for trying to get better with them.

CageHN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-06-2010

If they keep picking Twitch, then i like your idea xD.

Gavrilo

01-06-2010

The whole point of somone having a main because its somebody they are good at and enjoy playing. (for the most part) You can't penalize someone for playing a game the way they believe it to be fun. I'm not gonna spend 10 games playing someone I absolutley suck with and don't enjoy playing therefore he will never be my main. Most people have multiple mains its just another name for people they play the most. Also if creating a team aka going for high ranks, I would rather have people on my team that are extremely good with a couple people rather then mediocre with everybody. Just my 2 cents.
~Gavrilo

not a mormon

01-06-2010

No. This game is meant to be enjoyed.