Should playing the same champion game after game be penalized?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oneincher

01-06-2010

Playing same champion = getting good with that champion = win more games = higher elo = feeding when you pick a different champion

I think this is a significant contribution to the matchmaking problem. A lot of players tend to have a "main" champion and when that champion is taken or when they (hopefully) pick a different champion to meet the team's needs, they are more likely to feed because their elo is a representation of the play on the main champion.

I therefore think it should be encouraged to play a variety of champions, and perhaps the best way to do that is to discourage playing the same champion.

Perhaps after playing the same champion for 2-3 games in a row, a stacking IP/XP penalty should be imposed. For example, -10% ip/xp for each additional game played on the same champion after the grace period, capped at -50%.

Thoughts?

Sedon

01-06-2010

Dumbest idea I've ever heard.

Xiao

01-06-2010

Interesting thought, but I'd like to see this more as a -ELO correction if you play a champion you haven't played before, or haven't played in X days/weeks/months.

Edit: Which would require prepicking champions which thy won't do, disregard above.

Assasinates13

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

Either you hate people picking your fav champs or you are annoyed by people who dominate by using the same champs every game by getting to know them(which btw i so legit i dont even know how to start with it).

IS1611d82ca8b215

Adjudicator

01-06-2010

To answer your question:

No.

Tikor

01-06-2010

"Interesting thought, but I'd like to see this more as a -ELO correction if you play a champion you haven't played before, or haven't played in X days/weeks/months. " - xiao

Agreed that it should be ELO not IP. It should also be restricted to non-ranked games, purely to improve the MM slightly.

Although I, and likely RIOT, have higher priorities, like ranked games, playback functionality, ect.

oneincher

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao View Post
Interesting thought, but I'd like to see this more as a -ELO correction if you play a champion you haven't played before, or haven't played in X days/weeks/months.
This probably makes a lot more sense than an ip/xp penalty.

Xiao

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneincher View Post
This probably makes a lot more sense than an ip/xp penalty.
Yeah but it would require you to select champion before being put in queue, which they probably won't do.

Labomba

01-06-2010

Players have the right to play any champion they like and shouldn't be penalized for it. You could technically apply your thoughts on this to any game. WoW, Diablo, WC, TF2, etc. Of course players will get better the more they play a character -- there's nothing wrong with this.

Zvardin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-06-2010

At most, to be fair, they could probably do something so if you've won a # of games with a variety of champions then your ELO gets a slightly higher bump to show you are probably slightly more skilled. So if you've won 100 games with 10 different champions, 10 games each you're probably more skilled than someone with 100 games with 1 champion 99 games and another champion for 1 game.

This couldn't really be abused to manipulate someone's ELO falsely and doesn't penalize those who do only want to main a char or 2.