Is it normal to lose so much?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grovel

01-06-2010

It's threads like this that make me so apprehensive about playing normal games as a newcomer to this genre. I've owned LoL for about a week now, played at least 5 bot games with just about every Champion, earned almost 2500IP points playing practice only games, but haven't taken the plunge.

I've read multiple guides on every Champ I play, tried various builds, I have a strategic "Buying Guide" for those I find the most effective. I've done my homework, but nothing teaches like experience I guess.

Prior to LoL I was mostly a WoW PVPer and TF2 player, and I KNOW how frustrating a team competition can be when your teammates are clueless- I just don't want to be that guy. At least in a WoW battleground or a TF2 Pub your team didn't always "need" you and you could "learn" without ruining your teammates game, but in LoL every player is critical.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
It's threads like this that make me so apprehensive about playing normal games as a newcomer to this genre. I've owned LoL for about a week now, played at least 5 bot games with just about every Champion, earned almost 2500IP points playing practice only games, but haven't taken the plunge.

I've read multiple guides on every Champ I play, tried various builds, I have a strategic "Buying Guide" for those I find the most effective. I've done my homework, but nothing teaches like experience I guess.

Prior to LoL I was mostly a WoW PVPer and TF2 player, and I KNOW how frustrating a team competition can be when your teammates are clueless- I just don't want to be that guy. At least in a WoW battleground or a TF2 Pub your team didn't always "need" you and you could "learn" without ruining your teammates game, but in LoL every player is critical.
Get your feet wet. Play normal games. You may lose a bit, but will slowly be accustomed to the playstyle and pick up tricks along the way. You can learn a lot about playing a champion by getting beat by better players, or being carried by better players. See how they use their skills, position, when they look for things, general map awareness, and how they build their items.

Avloren

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
Have you tried playing practice games without bots, that is to say against real players? It's a good intermediate step between bots (which are terrible) and "normal" games, where wins/losses are recorded and people tend to take them rather seriously. I played bots until they were no challenge anymore, then tried practice against real people - got owned at first, but kept doing it until I was easily beating most people I met there. Then tried normal games - and again got owned at first, but eventually learned from the experience and evened out my win/loss ratio. By which time I had met some friends and started doing premades, which is an entirely new challenge (at least when matchmaking doesn't screw up and actually gives you another premade to face). I sometimes still take a step back to practice, even bots sometimes, to try out a new champion or a new build, you just gotta take things step by step and master each step before you move on.

Also note that each champion is an entirely new experience, you may be a great Ashe and winning more often than not in normal games, but switch to Rammus and you're a noob all over again, it's an entirely new playstyle - so go back to practice and expect to get owned even there. You'll get better faster if you find a single champion that suits you and focus on mastering it, if you want to try a new one expect to suck at first until you learn the basics. I read guides before I even touch a new champion, and it does help, but there's no substitute for experience.

CalveenKush

01-06-2010

Ive got probably around 1000 games of dota under my belt, and about 100 of lol. I have a positive record because of my experience and because i have friends that are equally as experienced as me. I found these people by going to lan centers and just playing pick up games. Over the years we became **** good. For the last 3 years we would play a game of dota (now we do it with lol) then after the game we would go outside and the smokers (which is 3/4 of my friends) would smoke and we would talk about the game. The things we did good, the things we need to work on. Just playing the game gives you experience which is great but talking gives you guidance and an outside perspective, which is invaluable. I will admit that every once in a while we will run into a **** good premade that beats us and we get furious. Anyways i hope this helps.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herborist View Post
Granted, I wasted my influence points on Tristana (took a suggestion from someone...), but it shouldn't be that bad.

Any ideas or suggestions?
... Tristana is my favorite ranged carry. WTF?

Xyirx

01-06-2010

It's normal to lose a lot, especially if you're new to the game.

Personally, I stuck with playing a lot of bot matches when I started this game. It does help me much at first about what to do, what to buy, where to hide, which time to rush; however, when you've been accustomed to your favorite character, you can always try normal and get some more tactics, then you'll do better over time.

Don't expect yourself to have 50/50 win rate in a day. It's never like that. Sometimes you win 90% of all matches today, and you lose all matches tomorrow. Who knows? Just do your best and have fun with the game.

Kyile

01-06-2010

Sadly so much does depend upon your team, though if your lucky and your good and the other team is ok, you can sometimes carry your team (ie: yi, ashe, trist, few others).

If you have a team mate who has 20 deaths, and no assist/kills, enjoy the pain the other team will bring thanks to the influx of cash.

Losing is part of the game.

I play a decent amount (about 280ish games) and still have bad runs with premades. I group with 1-3 other people usually and we can still lose vs a really great team. I've also had 7 or so wins in a row.

Part of the problem you'll face is team balance.

Often you'll see 5 dps ppl. No stuns, no disables, nada.. they'll run up against a team with 3 who stun/silence/etc and get worked...

You'll have a great balance, run up against a team with junky balance, and a master yi who gets fed early on and lose everything because he's 18, with 12k in items, and 3 shotting your whole team....

Its those games where your team has both of your last two turrets down, wipe out their guys, and run to their base, and own them... suddenly all the rest seems to not matter

Just keep at it, find some friends who are good, form some team matches, and keep practicin.

Gluck and try to remember to feed me if your ever against me because you want my win ratio to be good!

The Farkinator

01-06-2010

hmmm i never seem to have this problem. Matchmaking usually pairs me up against people I can play a good game against. The thing is, I play maybe 1-2 heroes and I can only use them... so maybe that's your problem, using too wide of a variety of heroes and not specializing (my friend has the same problem). In fact, the only way I get bad matches consitantly is in 5-man premade, where our team consistantly gets raped by more skilled opponents.

winternight

01-06-2010

One thing to remember, is that ELO simply doesn't work as a way to match players unless the players are playing 1v1 or in a fixed team and the team has the ELO not the individual players. That is why the matchmaking sucks if you play solo, it is having a punt, but often times gets it wrong.

JacobWizard

01-06-2010

I used to play dota a lot, and though I wasn't great, I'd say I was average at it. I was super pissed off in this game when I realized I was 9-21 because I was thrown against level 20+ people.

Though you CAN still be bad at level 20+, you've played at least 100 games at that point, and know all the heroes, the brush places, the good combos of champs and stuff.

However, after a while I did notice it evened out and I think it was the point where I was around 80-60 that I felt the MM was actually pretty good. Now I'm something like 174-143.