Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] A Cheatsheet to Victory

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sc2timeloc

01-07-2011

==A Cheatsheet to Victory==

I want to dedicate this guide to all the people I've played with, because in the end, we played for the challenge but also for fun, and having people to play with made this multilayer game what it was. The people mattered. This is my gift to all of you.

As a person, I always want to be my very best, and constantly desire to improve, and this quality extends over to a game. To be good at the game, you have to see how good players play at solomid.net (http://www.solomid.net/streams.php) or treeeskimo (http://www.own3d.tv/TreeEskimo), while listening to their comments and opinions will help you stray away from mediocre play, and perhaps come close to a higher level of play. From a bird’s eye vantage point, you can learn from their successes, and more importantly, their mistakes -- and what not to do -- in the heat of the action. The art of play, however, is about fun, messing up, not playing by the rules, creating that stagelight in the theatre.

Top 4 Most Important Skills (irrespective of order)

1. Know your hero, your role, and your allies’ roles

Have a few heroes you understand and can play exceptionally well. If you don't have any, read some hero guides that are highest rated. You should be able to answer these with infinite assurance:

• What role does your hero play?
    • Are they strong early, mid, or late game?
    • What runes and masteries do you run?
    • What are your key strengths and weaknesses
      • And how does that differentiates your hero from other similar heroes that fulfill the same roles?
  • What is the flow of your laning phase?
    • What skilling order and item build do you opt for?
      • And how you would adapt each depending on the situation?
    • At what lvl are you able to gank and make an impact on the other lanes?
      • or able to buff without taking excessive dmg?
    • How low should their hp be when you're able to go in for a kill?
  • What is the main advice you would give players new to this hero?

“I play annie, she's amazing! I play her exclusively for her ephemeral yet sustained bursts. She loves dresses and setting things ablaze, and harbors this innate penchant to frolic around in vast greeneries; though from time to time, she has a fondness for snowboarding as well. One thing I can say is to always have your Hawt Lava perfume, I mean, stun up, when roaming. You know when you're just strolling by the tranquil river on a Sunday afternoon, and on sight, they just stand there, gazing, for what feels like 1.75 seconds, or so. Stunning.”

2. Map awareness

• Constantly look at the mini-map
  • Frequently press tab to see who, and how many, are missing.
  • If you have space and the money, you should always – always -- have wards on you.

3. Positioning

Tactical positioning is essential, and it comes mainly from knowing your role, your objectives, and a deep sense of map awareness. You should know your place before a team fights starts. You should be with your team, not near hiding in a bush, since then the enemy team in 5s comes and picks you off. You should be right with your team. Always.

4. Not Overextending

Being greedy is a fault of human nature, and we will need to overcome it.
  • Continuing to chase
  • Taking the unsafe path
  • Checking a bush without your team
  • Tower diving for a kill and getting cced
  • Forgetting the threat zone of global ults
  • Giving up chase and then continuing to chase
  • They have baron, and we are pushing a tower 5v5
  • Buffing in their jungle and not saving your escape skills
  • Pushing the lane far in and staying to get that one extra cs
  • Not healing up your hp or your mana before a critical team fight
  • Not knowing the enemy’s threat zone and being flashed on and cced
  • Going to gank from behind only to have gotten caught by numbers along the way
  • Staying in lane for that extra xp with red zone hp and being tower doved on by a tank
  • Chasing 1 who pushed past river with 3 of your teammates and soon it became a 4v5
  • Going back in with 1 hp with the intention of helping your team and instead dying needlessly
  • Pushing mid after mid lane went missing with full hp, with a presumption of an imminent gank on top
  • Outpositioning yourself in a teamfight by chasing a low hp only to have the rest of their team take you down
  • The entire team chasing after one hero worth 1000+ gold and in the meantime the other 4 are taking the 3 inhibs
  • Overestimating yourself and underestimating the enemy by thinking you can get a kill in a 1v2 and escaping alive
  • Counterpushing a lane solo near the your 2nd tower, and because you aren't grouped up, their whole team ganks you

You should understand the basic stuff --
The Summoners Code (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/articles/The_Summoners_Code)
The LOL Wikia (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_of_Legends_Wiki)
Extra Gameplay Pointers (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=248721)

==
~~Pregame~~

A Solid Team Comp consists of these essentials --
  1. A solid initiator – is one with a superior cc, who can create an advantage for you team
  2. A solid solo lane (usually mid) – is one that will dominate her lane, and be able to gank or take the mid tower quickly
  3. A solid jungler – is one that controls dragon/buffs and the jungle exceptionally, can gank early and survive counter-jungle ganks
  4. A solid solo vs 2 -- is one that can maintain a high cs under the pressure of strong harassment
  5. A solid duo lane – is one with irreplaceable synergy
  6. A teammate that has clairvoyance

~~Loading Screen~~

Two key things happens here:
  1. Possible lane matchups and lane decisions
    1. top lane - harder to gank on the purp team, late game heros
    2. bot lane - harder to gank on the blue team, early game heros
  2. Deciding if your team has the lvl 1 teamfight advantage

~~Prelane~~

Favorable outcomes – all 5 gank and ward their jungle
Unfavorable outcomes – cover 4 points of entrances to your jungle, and escape to tower on sight of enemy

~~Laning phase~~

Always check the enemy laner's summoner spells
If you can't match your lane, it's best to go gank
Know the opposing laner’s skills, spells, passive, and visually -- her Threat Zone
Keep your mana and hp % high
Quiz yourself: Why should you do this?
Almost all the time, you want to tp from a safe point

Creep advantage – is when they have more creeps than you. You should avoid taking unnecessary dmg. When they are poking you, or when you are harassing them, and if the dmg dealt is lower than the dmg you take from the creeps, you are taking unnecessary dmg. You should never ever get hit by a tower, even once, with rare exceptions.

Read: Lane Control and the Early Game (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=149979)

Know Timings
Most ap champs are strong at lvl 9
Quiz yourself: Around when does the solo mid or duo lane usually reach lvl 6?
Know summoner spells timing A ganker has forced a flash. Quiz yourself: How long do you have to kill them when their escape spell is down?
Knowing how much time to take out the tower is critical. In most cases, back out, and back out early.Know other timing such as you'll be right on time for top if you depart from bottom bush of mid lane to top lane at ~144 at 330 mvspd
Quiz yourself: How long does it take to tp back to base? About how many seconds does it take for a hero to run from base to the first bot tower? From mid to top or bot?

~~Tower diving~~

• Tower diving (like much of the game) comes from experience. Trading a life 1 for 1 is not worth it unless you get a gold advantage such as fb, which is only 100 gold, or an xp advantage. For the most part, don’t tower dive for a kill. In a 5v5, the team with the tower advantage typically comes out ahead. It isn’t worth it. Don’t do it!

~~Baiting & Ganking~~

An advance skill of creating a situation where the enemy will engage you. Taking unnecessary dmg when a teammate is approaching ganking is a way to lure the enemy to engage you, and thereby overextending. The most effective ganks are when enemies overextend at an attempt to kill you. TP ganks to minion or wards are helpful tactics. The objective of a gank is to kill the target(s), and then push and break the tower. Always check the summoner spells of a potential gank target before deciding on who to gank. The first rule of engagement is to only engage if you are certain and secure (have wards up or map awareness is cleared). It’s like marriage, you don’t propose or accept a proposal if you feel it won’t work out. Always control the bush, and use the bush to your advantage. Run to them when being chased, you can juke or countergank. Do not ever check bushes alone if they may be there and your allies aren’t in close proximity.

~~Team Fights~~

• Always be ready to defend a tower, and take control of baron and dragon
  • Know when to initiate, or followup on an initiation.
    • A 4v5 is usually not good. Don't fight numbers.
    • Most of the time, it's good to trade 1 ult for 1 kill.
  • Your objective in every team fight is to focus is the highest threat, the highest treat is usually the highest dps.
    • Press tab and ask yourself, "Who is the highest threat? Who is my target priority?"
      • What is the best ways to be using my skills and my spells? Who are my focuses for each of the skills that I have?
  • After engagement, stay in the fight as long as you can, without dying
    • Turn on the camera lock on engagement and on chase.
  • Aoe ults should hit at least the priority target, plus as many others as you can.
  • 5v5 standoffs do not create any advantages for your team. They do not progress the situation.
    • go push or farm
    • go steal their buffs as a team
  • Aiding your teammates is essential throughout the game.

~~Roaming~~

An effective way for a team to control the enemy jungle and buffs and pick off hero that are off alone. Use every advantage possible.

~~Control of Neutral Objectives~~

Buff Control
Ward. Timing. Steal.

Dragon Control
"Lanes need to rush over there to help the jungler, and keep it warded early on. In good games even the top lane needs to know when to start booking it to dragon" ~h3w0
xD imma too lazy to write right now so I'll just quote, hehe.

Baron control
  • Baron control is the focus as soon as the team is strong enough to take it ~20mins or less. Always,
    • Make sure they cannot steal.
    • Ward before baroning.
    • Keep track of when baron will be back up.
    • Do there when pinged right away
      • Do baron with 5
    • Get baron before an inhib, or a tower
    • 10-15 seconds
    • Save ults when baroning
      • unless needed to secure baron
Quiz yourself: How many hero deaths can you lose and yet still come out ahead after baroning?

~~Map Control~~

Towers
Towers give map control. The mid towers gives the most.
  • Towers > Kills
Quiz yourself: Which is usually worth more? First blood or first tower?
Quiz yourself: Is trading a life to break a tower worth it if the remaining 4 can effectively d vs a tower dive? Was throwing your life away even necessary?

Inhibs

And inhibs gives the greatest amount.
  • If you're pushing on last tower on mid towards inhib with 5 (especially with baron buff), and they have 1 pushing bot towards 2nd tower, and possibly last tower, go all the way!
  • If you break mid inhib, and your surviving team of 3 is low, and don't have enough time to dmg the base towers, b, and heal up to have time for neutral objectives.

~~On White-flagging~~

At times, your team as a whole is at a severe disadvantage, and the game is mostly over; sure, you can turtle and you may come back, and even if you eventually win, you’ll be hard-pressed to do so, and the only honest thing to do by then is to surrender, accept that you played a bad game, learn from your mistakes (and learning means you don't ever do it again) -- and have time for victory in a new game. We just shouldn’t have played so poorly from the start. Surrendering is a show of good judgment. Fail fast, fail early.

~~Ending Note~~

Thanks to all of the people I have ever listened to, and learned from. Listening is critical to any good player, and yet the most challenging part is to keep all of this in mind. Feel free to add me in-game, and ask me any questions.

There was this fiddlestick who would die needlessly for absolutely no good reason over and over again, with the team's advisement voiding in vain, and upon hitting lvl 6, would run up to the enemy, fear them at a great distance, and then ult. Then I woke up. In a mental wreck, I said to myself this morning, "Wow... what a nightmare. Thank goodness it is over." You have so much potential.

**First Rough draft. Work-in-progress. Updated Today =D
Yesssssssssssssssss! 10 votes!! I've reached my mediocre goal~

Nickicksu

01-07-2011

kool

darkillers4n

01-07-2011

amazing. makes some gud points here and there. specially about towers over kills. TOWERS MATTER MORE!

PineapplePine

01-07-2011

You miss one of the most crucial things ever. Review on your knowledge of the champions before you start a game; specifically new champions that you might've forgot and perhap rarely used champions.

Sometimes, you just don't know or forget about certain abilities and how to counter them.

Goo

01-07-2011

Solid tips. +1.

sc2timeloc

01-07-2011

Yes, a review of champions and their skills would be helpful, though this is a cheatsheet and most people would not like to spend time reviewing before every single game. This base of knowledge comes from experience, many games, and trying those heroes out, which is far more preferable than reviewing in text. The visual component is key.

PineapplePine

01-07-2011

You're definitely right on that part, you wouldn't want to review every game. Though reviewing and updating yourself with the newest champion should be required on the first few days she/he is out.

For example, if you just go into a game against or with a Caitlyn you wouldn't know that you can get out of her Ultimate by going to a brush or something. Either it was bugging it off or its intended to stop locking on the target. Well at least thats what my friend told me he's been experiencing with her. And when Caitlyn have her passive up, you probably want to be ready for a sudden Q. I don't know whether it actually buff her Q but a lot of Caitlyn players do seems to think so. I don't usually get hit by it but it seems like a trend they are doing. At least the elo I'm playing anyways. Yes, you can figure this out without reading forums but thats probably after getting hit a couple times. :P

Iradicate

01-07-2011

Nice points here. I like the links to other stuff. Hope you keep expanding on it. I'll add my own two cents. I think the best counter gank is to play man to man. If they leave your lane and you know they're heading top follow safely and alert your team, make it a 3v3 instead of a 2v3, or get your team to head them off and make it a 3v1. Then again sometimes your better off getting some farming in if your behind or having trouble, or just being greedy. The team needs each player so don't lose sight of the big picture, and yes sometimes we have to actually spell it out for our own team. About surrendering ya know sometimes you want to do it and the team says know and guess what you win, I guess that's why it's a vote. This just means that because it seems grim does not neccassarily mean it's over and attitude can win battles, and winning battles wins wars.

Karathrow

01-07-2011

Last hitting is a crucial skill and it should be included in any general guide. The strength of fighting on your tower, the gold benefit and defensive advantage from not pushing past river/into jungler gank range is huge.

Not to mention making it more difficult for the enemy team to farm last hits or gold.

Team who last hits effectively>team who doesn't.

sc2timeloc

01-07-2011

Had already long added via the link =D