Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Soraka - The Starchild

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Umbronox

01-10-2011

Reverie has been mostly forgotten as an item, I'll think of getting it in place of abyssal scepter or something like that. Also, for people like Xin, I would suggest trying to infuse them as they get close to you. Often, they don't activate their knock up untill they get to, by infusing you can buy yourself some time. You, obviously, need a teammate till help you after that. If noone does you need to make sure to communicate that.

Spawnpk

01-13-2011

I must say quite a good guide although there are a few things I do differently

Like a lot of people I do like starfall. Your attacks are slow and weak and even though starfall is only 60 dam it can be a great early game harasser.

Rune wise I put straight AP at lvl 30 that’s about 34 bonus (with masteries) and with the initial tome of +20 AP that’s 54. This will help buff starfall to an initial damage of only 73.5 but its better then nothing.

The skill order is as follows:
Starfall
Infuse
Astral Blessing
Infuse
Infuse
Wish
Then it changes between starfall/infuse and the last skills I pump is astral blessing.

Remember that astral blessings healing at lvl 1 with the start items is 80 + 54 = 134, more then enough to start you off. As you get assists/ more ap that will increase but the increment of armor bonus isn’t worth it early game I have found.

Item wise I go for:
Amplifying Tome Depending on how the team is going u can either go back and get
Mejais Soulstealer + Boots or just go Ionian Boots of Lucidity for the 15%CDR
I then get Rabadon's Deathcap this boost my healing a hell of a lot as well as infuse’s damage (to assist in kills)
I then go a little unorthadox and get a Frozen Heart. This is great for a few reasons. CDR of 25% means you are now at the max of 40% and ur skills are recharging very fast! The AC of 99 means u are a lot harder to kill (yes you will be targeted so this is handy) and ur not 100% greedy as the aura slows enemy attacks by 20%.

The rest of the items can be anything but generally aim for more AP/AC or HP so ur boosting your surviviability and thus boosting everyone elses!

A few alternate builds I have been forced into was to get very early on the Mana Manipulator as my team was very mana hungry! This can be made into a CDR item to replace the boots if required.

One of the biggest things you have to remember though is you are still not a tank, you just survive better. You are there to help your team not to kill so dont expect to rack up a lot of "kills" but your assists should be around 20+ per game so its ok.

Nightdancer ND

01-13-2011

As a Soraka player I must say, I highly disagree with your skillorder.
Her early game is very strong with Starcall and you slide into the supporter role with gaining level (and AP). => Q/W/W/Q/E/R

Without AP your heals are doing very little for the high amout of mana. Without Starcall you are no help one a sidelane and you can not go mid against an other mage.

Going mid is very good vs any mage. You will dominate them easily and so on negating their mid carry, while getting lots of gold for your later supporter role.

regarding your Items:
Sure, you will get a lot of assists with Soraka, but you are pretty dependent on getting+keeping your stacks on your Soulstealer with your build => this is imho far too risky!

Wordoc23

01-13-2011

Soraka used to be AWESOME when the locket was still available back then =/. But i would go with AP build and itiems that would give other players some boosts on ur team

Addison16

01-13-2011

I agreed with most of what you said on masteries and skill order, but when it came to her runes and items I disagree strongly with you. I really don't like Abyssal on her since you pay so much for the magic pen, but you are usually near the back of the fight, so that extra money you spent on it is mostly wasted. Her Starcall takes off enough magic resistance by itself anyways. Also, the magic resistance is only helpful against people that deal magic damage, so I would not make it my first items. Oh, and WotA....just lol. That helps her team, but does little for her besides AP.

I get rylai's as my first large item, everytime. It gives increased health, nice ap, and allows you to give perma slow to all nearby enemies (and makes infuse more of a nuke). Now, I will prove mathematically that it is the better early/mid game item. Getting Giant's Belt at level 6 increases her health by 57%. By contrast, getting a Negatron Cloak would increase her magic resistance percentage from 23% to 43%, which would be like 26% less damage from only magic attacks. She can heal herself easily over time, so in a gank the soraka with Giant's Belt would be more likely to live. That alone is a strong reason to prefer one over the other, but other facts like Rylai's has more AP components which allows her to upgrade her ap along the way instead of having to fork out the 1k abyssal demands which gets divided into magic resist and magic pen (magic pen on a healer is less useful than ap).

My second large item would probably be either Hourglass or Banshee's, depending on the game. Hourglass gives the two second untouchable active with the bonus of huge ap and even some armor. I'd get that if I had to be a heavy healer and had to stay near the team fights. Banshee's is more for teams that have stuns or heavy one hitters, like morg. It's just a real life saver.

I completely disagree with your starting item. My runes cover all the ap I need for start and there are better suited items for her than that. If I am laning with someone that uses mana then I would get Mana Manipulator so that I do not have to use infuse as often on them and can focus it more on the enemy. If I am laning with someone that does not have mana then I will get Doran's Ring, since it gives just enough mana regain to tide me over and a decent bit of health (almost all you would be gaining from runes at start otherwise), but the true value is that it gives 15 ap (only 5 less than amplifying tome). There are a few times I'd get sapphire crystal so I can rush banshee's, but that's only against certain teams.

Now for runes. For yellows I get hp/lvl like you, but with my blues I get AP/lvl and with my quints I get flat AP. The quints give me something like 15 AP and the blues give me like 28 AP at 18. I find that much AP on a healer just too much to trade for such a small amount of health. You can have your reds whatever you want, but I just keep them as magic pen cause that's what I have and that's what they're best as (as far as in game gold value).

Oh, and my spells are ghost and flash, cause I like to live.