[Guide] Soraka - The Starchild

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Umbronox

01-07-2011

Soraka - The Starchild
by: Umbronox

Overview
Of all the 800 or so games i have played i have seen many Sorakas and a variety of
different build. From support items, straight AP, to even attack damage, all of them tried. But with the dawn of new mechanics and items, I beleive I have found a build that has thus far worked. Its a AP/Support build focusing on a defense under tone. This guide is assuming you know Soraka, her skills, and how they work. So lets get right to it.

Runes
Soraka is a great champion. She doesn't need regen of any kind between something to heal both her health and mana. However, due to this awesome combo she is an extremely squishy champion. As for runes, I would suggest defense. Health is an extremely good stat, especially in the early game when she has none and you probably won't be getting any items with health on it. But, I think armor, magic resist, and C/D reduction would also be very beneficial on her. Here is what I do.
Red = Straight HP
Yellow = HP per level
Blue = Straight HP
Quint = Straight HP
This will get you a little over 150hp at level one, and more then double that at level 18. This is extremely beneficial, that extra life will help you get your heals off just in time. However, I have played Soraka with full crit runes(on accident of course) and have still done perfectly fine with this build. So don't feel like runes are a necessity.

Summoner Spells
For summoner spells I grab Ghost and Cleanse. Both provide excellent survivability, especially in the early game. When used together, you can easily get away from people like Xin Zhao, Amumu, and Rammus. Flash can be good, but is very situational, and with the nerfs on it its only good for a few champions. I am strongly discouraging typical support spells like clairvoyance and heal. They are good, but like flash, they tend to get outdated during certain parts of the game.

Masteries
For masteries, I go an 0/21/9 build. I make sure to put three into both the magic resist and the armor, as well as the two masteries they lead to. I also put 2 into reduced minion damage, but dodge is good also. Improved Cleanse is a must, and so is 4 points in the HP boost. That last point before the ending mastery can be point anywhere you think it will be beneficial. In utility, i get improved ghost and the increased regen. Then i get 4 point in experience and the last in greed. I would normally go a 0/9/21 build for casters. But the improved cleans and ghost is to hard to pass up, as well as decreased damage taken.

Skill Order
Here is my general skill order. It does differentiate a little depending on how things are going. But you will want to follow it for the most part.
1 - Astral Blessing
2 - Infuse
3 - Infuse
4 - Astral Blessing
5 - Infuse
6 - Wish
After level 6 just keep alternating between Infuse and Astral Blessing. Don't get Starcall till endgame. I usually don't get it untill Astral Blessing is atleast level 4 and Infuse is level 5. This is a good skill order for a few reasons. Astral Blessing is an awesome heal early game, so it does'nt need to be too high. Infuse should always be on par if not a level ahead of the heal because you won't have any mana regen, and that mana is gonna come in handy. Infuse also helps with farming.

Item Build
Here is the endgame item build you will want for Soraka, and why I chose these Items.
1. Mejais Soulstealer - Since assists have been made awesome, this is an excellent choice for Soraka. I will go into more detail later on.
2. Ionian Boots of Lucidity - The best boots for her, her cooldowns are long and the less time your heals spend cooling means the more you can heal. IF 3 or more enemy champions have a stun. Get Mercurys Treads. Cleanse won't save you from that many.
3. Abyssal Scepter - Gives ability power for stronger heals, magic resist for surviving, and a magic resist debuff. An excellent support item. I feel it was made for Soraka.
4. Will of the Ancients - I often get criticized for getting this item. It gives ability power, as well as ability power and spell vamp to nearby allies. A perfect choice to be assisting your team. "But soraka doesnt need spell vamp!", It comes in handy late game, especially when you get Starcall. I will go into more detail later.
5. Rabadon's Deathcap/Zhonya's Hourglass - At this point it all depends on how the game is going. If you find yourself not dying, and not getting focused, go for Deathcap by all means. The ability power from it with Mejais is an excellent choice. Obviously if your dying every team fight, you'll want Zhonya's.
6. Whatever you didn't get for item 5.

How to Start
You will want to start with an Amplifying Tome. It will help your heals ALOT early game, and help you farm with Infuse. Also grab a health pot. Anyone can benefit from Soraka, but some will get more out of her then others. When choosing a lane, consider the following things.
1. Going mid or anytype of solo is BAD on Soraka. She has no source of damage early game, and anyone can just attack your tower without being scared at all.
2. Make sure to lane with a champion who is somewhat durable but can still deal an ok amount of damage.
3. Laning with Tryndamere(atleast in my experience) is not beneficial for you. Almost every Tryndamere I have seen just isn't good early game. They have no survivability in a battle, and they can hardly deal any damage. Doesn't mean you should completely refuse to do it, just try to avoid it. You won't be getting your full potential from it.
Note: I'm not bashing Tryndamere, I play him myself. Just saying hes a bad laning partner with Soraka.(In my experience)

Laning Phase
During the Laning Phase you will want to focus on two things. Assisting your laning partner with killing the enemy, and farming. If its an extremely aggressive lane, you'll want to use Infuse to silence the enemies. This is extremely good against people like Kassadin and Katarina. Who are hardpressed to do anything when silenced. If people are just kinda auto attacking minions, farm as much as you can. Use infuse and your sucky auto attack to last hit as many minions as possible. Your Amplifying Tome needs to be Mejai'ed as soon as possible. Once you hit about 1100 gold, Recall back to town. Grab a Mejais and some boots. Here is the best part about Soraka. If you notice another lane about to get a kill. Pop your ultimate before they do. It's free Mejai stacks as far as I can see. This goes in great conjunction with a jungler, from whom which will probably be ganking about this time.

Tips
Here are some tips for playing mid to late game.
1. Remember to heal whoever is being focused, not the most hurt person.
2. Use Infuse whenever its off cooldown. It has no cost, and can be used to farm, to help youself or allies, or against enemies. It is one of the most versatile abilities in the game.
3. Even though Wish heals your entire team. Don't hesitate to use it to save your 15/0 Ashe who just got ulted by Warwick and Malzahar.

Thats it ya'll! Get out there and heal "By the power of the stars!"

nerfgot

01-07-2011

Decent guide but I disagree with not going mid because I like to max starcall fast so farming is much easier. When starcall is maxed fast (depending whose in your lane with you or if you go mid) its very good at pushing a lane and I find that 1 point in health + mana heal is enough. I would also look into adding a soul shroud possibly because its a great item for your team + soraka depending on how much CDR you get from masteries/runes etc

Vangu

01-07-2011

I see you go AP but is this the only build you do even if you are against a team with a lot of healing reduction?

I was actually planning on updating my Soraka guides as now they have not really been touched since beta. I personally get starcall depending on who is laning with me. If it happens to be Ryze or some heavy spell damage champion the lowering of their MR helps alot at the lower levels...when you can actually get it off more then once in a fight.

Karathrow

01-07-2011

I prefer AP, but it doesn't really matter anyways since grievous wound owns soraka regardless of your build. =(

Umbronox

01-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangu View Post
I see you go AP but is this the only build you do even if you are against a team with a lot of healing reduction?
Generally yes. Because even with the healing reduction, the support items are still extremely well, and AP scales with her two offensive skills as well. Even though it does impede me, I still manage to do quite well. Obviously I have good and bad days, but with this build her Infuse is a small nuke, and spamming starcall is an excellent source of damage. I was acctually able to 1v1 a Twitch (he was jungling and could'nt ambush me). Between Infuse, Starcall spam and both my heals i got away with about 200 HP

Vangu

01-07-2011

I'm a long time Soraka player and will try your guide. I use cd/mana per 5 runes though but will post my thoughts on it after a game or two.

Razalus

01-08-2011

Well I'm a decent soraka player and I agree with your oppinions with will of ancients, İt works perfectly and saves an item slot from the teams vlad , and buffs the AP of even AD building yi's that can have benefits from having a bit of AP

I also take Clairvoyance and Teleport for summoner spells , that saves the team from ganks and helps you be wherever you are needed

the reason I post this message is that I would advise "Shurelya's Reverie" for additional support. Its cheap and its active use is something like a mass ghost that saves entire teams or destroys entire teams... Never even once I regretted geting Shurelya's Reverie , you can even use it to run and infuse a kennen's face just before he starts lighting rush.

that item also gives %15 CD which with the boots make %30CD... did I mentioned masteries give %9 CD well a total of %39CD is perfect for a spam support character like Soraka (I guess same would work with Sona)

and one last thing abbysal scepter was made for galio :P

Kahn9

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-08-2011

great guide. Soraka is my most played and this is very helpful.
A couple things about champions. I'm having a hard time against strong physical melee like XinZ. Any advice? I usually have Heal and Ghost and still manage to die.
Against other casters I can usually hold my own with the silence from Infuse and healing myself. I love silencing Fiddles when he starts Drain.

Razalus

01-08-2011

Well As a support character you have to stick with your team (as the team benefits from your auras) , "IF" your team is not protecting you from focus then its your teams fault most of the cases. You just have to stay on the safe side of your team during a team fight and spam spells from a comfy safe zone.

There will be some events where this is not possible during times like this If I'm likely(%80+ chance) to die if I stay there, I trigger my Shurelya's Reverie and run away...
a- he chases me away and the team fight trades a support for a dps (we win)
b- he doesn't chase and I'm free to heal and spam spells again (we win)

also map awareness stops that gank in the first place (or makes it a counter gank)

Vangu

01-08-2011

I agree with Razalus on the whole support/dps trade off. A lot of the time a Master Yi, Xin, or Tyrn will chase me far away from a team battle that we end up winning because the other team is lacking a dps. Most of the time I do end up getting killed from this but we also win those fights because their main dps decided to chase me. As long as you get at least a heal and infuse off before you have to run you have done your part in the battle...and can still use your ult to both try to live while running and help your team still in the battle. Infuse has a three second silence and if you use this on the correct person any time during a battle it does help a lot.